Games like Limbo, Inside and Little Nightmares

Mikes

I don't have lots of time for gaming anymore, but I've been very taken by games like Inside and Little Nightmares.  Games that pack a lot of character and story into short time frames, and tell those stories through game progression in detailed settings rather than exposition.

Can anyone recommend more games like these? 

5 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Thanks, strange I've never heard of it before though.

I bought it on release a few years back. It’s decent enough and clearly influenced by inside/limbo A LOT though it has its own story.

It’s not as good as those two but then again, what is?

Oh, and don't forget Hyper Light Drifter. This one is a lot more action-orientated, sort of like a top-down sci-fi, post-apocalyptic Zelda with much faster combat (there's an easier difficulty setting, if you want it). But, again, minimal exposition, no dialogue (IIRC) and a fantastic soundtrack from the same artist who did the music for Fez (Disasterpiece):

Damn, that trailer gives me chills. So good.

From the games listed so far I would definitely second The Swapper, Fez and Soma for what you are looking for. Rime I found very generic, and although Detention has an interesting premise and story the gameplay and pacing are total pap. 

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'd recommend The Swapper, a moody 2D puzzler that tells a good story and whose central mechanic is based around cloning:

image.thumb.png.480d61aba3256faf6ba00602323475b0.png

This is wonderful, and one of the first games I thought of. It’s incredibly atmospheric, and feels like you’re exploring the planet from Alien on your own. It is very heavily puzzle-based though, which I happen to love, but YMMV.

1 hour ago, Lochenvar said:

Another upcoming one is Silt

(full disclosure, I did a little bit of work on it. Very little - most of my time was spent enjoying the world :D)

That looks fucking terrifying. This is meant to be a compliment.

The Final Station is a great little game. Simplistic graphics, but one of the most absorbing and spooky things I've played in ages. Not especially difficult at all, but if it's going cheap I'd very much recommend it.

There are some amazing looking games on here, thanks guys! I hadn't heard of so many.

On a side note, one I am aware of and have played is SOMA, and it's possibly the most affecting story in a game I've played.  It's criminal that game is not more widely known.

22 hours ago, Strafe said:

Black the Fall was the closest I’ve experienced and it was pretty good.

This was very good. Thanks for the rec!

On 01/07/2021 at 09:55, mechamonkey said:

Big fan of this kind of game too, great list so far.
Planet Alpha from this months Games with Gold fits this description nicely too.
Going a bit more retro Another World and Flashback

Planet Alpha is brilliant, from what I’ve played so far.

On 01/07/2021 at 18:14, Stopharage said:

Deadlight seems to be ideal for you. It's often in sales for around £3. I really enjoyed it and don't recall it being particularly long. 

I have played through Deadlight before and completely forgot about it. So i did it again.  Still great.

On 02/07/2021 at 00:41, JoeK said:

The Final Station is a great little game. Simplistic graphics, but one of the most absorbing and spooky things I've played in ages. Not especially difficult at all, but if it's going cheap I'd very much recommend it.

This is awesome, thank you!  Really enjoying this.