NAME the FILM - ultimate thread!

Sketch

We have so many threads on "name the film" but not a single definitive thread for everyone to share in.

Threads: ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT, and on and on and on.

So I thought to encourage more eyes on people's questions, let's have a dedicated thread?

Also, I can't work out this film. It has bugged me for nearly 20 years - and the internet has nothing on it. I'm starting to wonder if someone didn't have their student film project secretly broadcast. Because repeated searches yields nothing. In fact I will paypal a quid to whoever can find this.

Horror film about two brothers and their dog who escape hell, and the dog goes on a killing spree

Type: animated/cartoon adult horror film, art style similar to Yellow Submarine or Fritz The cat (ie: crap quality)

Length: short, around 90 mins, maybe a bit less

Possible years: watched it around 2003 or 2004, so no later than that

Description:

Set in the present day, two criminal brothers and their dog get killed and end up in hell. There's people burning and pig-cops flying around on hoverbikes. The dog manages to find a way to escape, and brings its two owners with. They're now back in the real world - but the dog has been possessed by a demon. The dog goes on a killing spree - the brothers are not so aware of it. They end up being hunted by a police detective and his partner. Well, I say hunted, but the detective mostly gets drunk and falls asleep in a bathtub. I never saw the ending since it was shown at 2am and I fell asleep.

Possible names: something like Hellhound, or Helldog, or Dog of Hell, Dog from Hell, or Demon Dog. Maybe. Trawling IMDB reveals nothing.

The film had poor quality animation and was very disturbing. Very dark. Very bloody.

I have trawled the net and it keeps bringing up All Dogs go to heaven (not this!), and a bunch of other similar films, none of which are what i recall.

Does anyone know what this film could be?

2 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Are you sure you didn’t catch an episode of Mr Pickles?

This comes up a lot when searching the key words. You can see the conundrum. But no. This was definitely around 2003 or 2004. Mr Pickles is also meant as a sort of comedy, whereas this was straight up horror and its own standalone thing. It was also a lot like Bakshi's film Wizards. That same gritty vibe. I looked up his entire film portfolio, and nothing matches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Bakshi

Considering its air time, after midnight, I wonder if it wasn't odd one off student film or something.

It might have been an episode in a series of such things. Maybe it was only 45 minutes or 1 hour, as part of a series of animated adult films? I dunno. I'm reaching now. The story was so distinct I am surprised I can find nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

OK I got one.

Korean film from early to mid 2000s about a cop who used to be an Olympic boxer so was a crap detective but loved punching people. He was after a murderer who was a bit like a Korean version of Patrick Bateman. It was really good fun, wouldn't mind seeing it again.

I thought it was called Public Enemy but can't find any entry on IMDB for it.

Name it!

This is one of my earliest memories of laying eyes on a television, so it must have been around 1983/1984 - no later. It was a VHS/Betamax rental.

This film was about a family imprisoned in some kind of social experiment house thing. I somehow remember some green goo on a sheet of clear plastic.

There, that's all I can remember. Massive props to any fucker who can name the film going off of that.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

This is one of my earliest memories of laying eyes on a television, so it must have been around 1983/1984 - no later. It was a VHS/Betamax rental.

This film was about a family imprisoned in some kind of social experiment house thing. I somehow remember some green goo on a sheet of clear plastic.

There, that's all I can remember. Massive props to any fucker who can name the film going off of that.

Is it the Child's Play episode of Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088909/?ref_=ttep_ep12

Damn. I’ve forgotten the one I’m always trying to work out. I’ve asked about it on here before. Even joined some bizarre forum to try and find out. Now can’t even remember anything lol. 

That’s a new low. 

70s TV movie. Blonde kid in a wheelchair gets chased and falls down a well or hole in the desert and gets saved by the bully that chased him...or something.  Classic school sick day movie. I think I might have cried. 

On and off I've thought about this for 10 years.  Here goes.

Must be late 80s early 90s, pretty sure it was PG rated as I would have been about 10.  Some sort of weird experiment sees a hamburger come to life (might have been in a hamster cage at some point) and all I can remember is a scene where the hamburger keeps telling someone to eat him. Eat me, eat me, EAAAAAT MEEEEEE!

That's all I've got.

9 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

70s TV movie. Blonde kid in a wheelchair gets chased and falls down a well or hole in the desert and gets saved by the bully that chased him...or something.  Classic school sick day movie. I think I might have cried. 

I'm pretty sure it's not Mac and Me, since I think you'd remember the aliens. But... If your film preceded M&M, do you reckon it influenced it? I mean, how many films feature a blonde kid getting chased in a wheelchair?!

2 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Must be late 80s early 90s, pretty sure it was PG rated as I would have been about 10.  Some sort of weird experiment sees a hamburger come to life (might have been in a hamster cage at some point) and all I can remember is a scene where the hamburger keeps telling someone to eat him. Eat me, eat me, EAAAAAT MEEEEEE!

I have a vague recollection of this myself, but there's a ton of things which have similar or overlapping themes (something about the burger wanting to fulfill its destiny?). Burger Dream? Or Maybe Hitchiker's Guide? I recall the animated Sam & Max had an episode where a TV dinner begs to get eaten.

57 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I'm pretty sure it's not Mac and Me, since I think you'd remember the aliens. But... If your film preceded M&M, do you reckon it influenced it? I mean, how many films feature a blonde kid getting chased in a wheelchair?!

I have a vague recollection of this myself, but there's a ton of things which have similar or overlapping themes (something about the burger wanting to fulfill its destiny?). Burger Dream? Or Maybe Hitchiker's Guide? I recall the animated Sam & Max had an episode where a TV dinner begs to get eaten.

I should have probably said 'it's not Mac & Me' as it definitely didn't have any aliens in it. To be honest, it was close to 40 years ago I watched it so it could have been a dark-haired kid on a bike in a forest. I can barely remember my kids names so memory is likely to be hazy.

I just have a very vivid image of myself on the sofa, sick and off school, in the house I lived in as a kid crying at this kid getting rescued by the school bully. I couldn't believe this amazing act of kindness and how everything was going to be OK now.

15 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

That's all I've got.

From a Young Ones episode?

The thread has its first victory. Let's see if we can keep this going!

9 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Naa, definitely a film, very teen orientated if I remember rightly. 

I keep thinking about this burger film. What else can you remember? Any actors? Was it part of a dream sequence, or the main storyline? Was the burger claymation or animatronics?

For a moment I thought maybe Cussack's film, Better off Dead, with its dancing hamburger. But it doesn't beg to be eaten. I also keep thinking of Spaceballs, with Pizza the Hut, simply because it has talking food. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?

This is the problem, I can't remember much.  I know where I watched it, that's why I think it must be early 90s.  Actors wise I have no idea.  The burger was animatronics I think. I just remember him getting really angry about the fact he wasn't getting eaten!

It's been bugging me for years.  Pretty sure it's not Spaceballs either.

23 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

This is the problem, I can't remember much.  I know where I watched it, that's why I think it must be early 90s.  Actors wise I have no idea.  The burger was animatronics I think. I just remember him getting really angry about the fact he wasn't getting eaten!

It's been bugging me for years.  Pretty sure it's not Spaceballs either.

Could it possibly have been Little Shop of Horrors, and a plant, rather than a burger, and it was saying FEED ME! and not eat me?

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

Could it possibly have been Little Shop of Horrors, and a plant, rather than a burger, and it was saying FEED ME! and not eat me?

Haha nope, definitely not.  Definitely a burger, pretty sure it was in some sort of laboratory scenario too.  The whole film might not have been about it but I remember the burger really get annoying about not being eaten!

I don't think it is Better Off Dead. I suggested that 23 hours ago, with a link above, and @Chewylegs didn't confirm. (I think me and Welrain are just on each other's ignore lists hence the double suggestion).

On 01/07/2021 at 12:43, Sketch said:

We have so many threads on "name the film" but not a single definitive thread for everyone to share in.

Threads: ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT, and on and on and on.

So I thought to encourage more eyes on people's questions, let's have a dedicated thread?

Also, I can't work out this film. It has bugged me for nearly 20 years - and the internet has nothing on it. I'm starting to wonder if someone didn't have their student film project secretly broadcast. Because repeated searches yields nothing. In fact I will paypal a quid to whoever can find this.

Horror film about two brothers and their dog who escape hell, and the dog goes on a killing spree

Type: animated/cartoon adult horror film, art style similar to Yellow Submarine or Fritz The cat (ie: crap quality)

Length: short, around 90 mins, maybe a bit less

Possible years: watched it around 2003 or 2004, so no later than that

Description:

Set in the present day, two criminal brothers and their dog get killed and end up in hell. There's people burning and pig-cops flying around on hoverbikes. The dog manages to find a way to escape, and brings its two owners with. They're now back in the real world - but the dog has been possessed by a demon. The dog goes on a killing spree - the brothers are not so aware of it. They end up being hunted by a police detective and his partner. Well, I say hunted, but the detective mostly gets drunk and falls asleep in a bathtub. I never saw the ending since it was shown at 2am and I fell asleep.

Possible names: something like Hellhound, or Helldog, or Dog of Hell, Dog from Hell, or Demon Dog. Maybe. Trawling IMDB reveals nothing.

The film had poor quality animation and was very disturbing. Very dark. Very bloody.

I have trawled the net and it keeps bringing up All Dogs go to heaven (not this!), and a bunch of other similar films, none of which are what i recall.

Does anyone know what this film could be?

Maybe it's one of the ones from "Bill Plympton" as those were all kinds of weird and extreme.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0687739/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

I know he did some shorts about Dogs. 

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

I don't think it is Better Off Dead. I suggested that 23 hours ago, with a link above, and @Chewylegs didn't confirm. (I think me and Welrain are just on each other's ignore lists hence the double suggestion).

Sorry, thought I did.  No, it's none of the films that have been mentioned already.  😔

80s I think. This rhinoceros escapes from a zoo and it heads straight for London. And after two or three days they find like all these dead bodies lying about and no-one knows who’s done it. So, they get hold of this private detective, you know, like a sort of Charlton Heston type geezer to try and solve the crime. Now the zoo keeper happens to be a very attractive woman. Before you know where you are, old Charlton is giving the sort what for.

I've got a vague memory of a film/short. Pretty sure it was Christmas related, or at least shown around Christmas. I wasn't a nipper, probably around 10 or so. Anyway, it had a boy running around chasing a red balloon, or at least a balloon, may not have been red. Definitely a European type flick with no or very little voice acting.

Like I say I was fairly old, on the cusp of being a teenager perhaps, so I'm pretty pissed it feels so vague. It may be older than the time I caught the broadcast mind. 

I don't think it was the classic 'The red balloon' either. May be wrong if no other similar film supplants that though.

Cheers.