NAME the FILM - ultimate thread!

Sketch

1 minute ago, amc said:

I've got a vague memory of a film/short. Pretty sure it was Christmas related, or at least shown around Christmas. I wasn't a nipper, probably around 10 or so. Anyway, it had a boy running around chasing a red balloon, or at least a balloon, may not have been red. Definitely a European type flick with no or very little voice acting.

Like I say I was fairly old, on the cusp of being a teenager, so I'm pretty pissed it feels so vague.

Cheers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Balloon

https://archive.org/details/LeBallonRougetheRedBalloon

Just edited it as you posted lol. Had more of an open world feeling, less in the city.

I'm seeing Swiss Alps etc. But tbh it probably is that x something else. Just the one I'm (mis) remembering had more of a Christmas vibe and more in the countryside thing going on. Probably confused.

The thing I'm seeing was pretty whacky. The film I'm probably confusing it with had some sort of spaceship at the end and lots of coloured balloons or balls, or something.

Fuck my mushroom addled mind.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

80s I think. This rhinoceros escapes from a zoo and it heads straight for London. And after two or three days they find like all these dead bodies lying about and no-one knows who’s done it. So, they get hold of this private detective, you know, like a sort of Charlton Heston type geezer to try and solve the crime. Now the zoo keeper happens to be a very attractive woman. Before you know where you are, old Charlton is giving the sort what for.

Fuck me, Del Boy is on the forum! Video Nasty

On 22/07/2021 at 00:12, Sabreman said:

Is it the Child's Play episode of Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088909/?ref_=ttep_ep12

Honestly mate, I still can't get over this. That was one of the creepiest memories from my early childhood. If we were watching that on the original air date that would have made me 3yrs 7mths old, five months younger than my son is now.

I remember my grandma also mumbling about the "silly" ending, but I reckon it makes for a pretty good twist - especially for the time. For anyone else do check out that episode, dodgy early-eighties production aside the weird acting adds to the effect of the plot. MC Night Shallawallamayan should do a reboot.

The Children's Film Foundation was brilliant - I seem to remember them showing on a Friday, so coming home from school to watch one was a great start to the weekend.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Honestly mate, I still can't get over this. That was one of the creepiest memories from my early childhood. If we were watching that on the original air date that would have made me 3yrs 7mths old, five months younger than my son is now.

I remember my grandma also mumbling about the "silly" ending, but I reckon it makes for a pretty good twist - especially for the time. For anyone else do check out that episode, dodgy early-eighties production aside the weird acting adds to the effect of the plot. MC Night Shallawallamayan should do a reboot.

🙂 It's one of those things that stuck with me too, though I was older than you when I saw it so I remembered it specifically being part of that series (the wife saying "Nuceelar war" was kind of a running joke with us for years). I checked it out again several years ago and it's a neat little story that holds up pretty well.

2 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

I’ve actually just solved my own request before posting it. A sci-fi short film shown at primary school around 1980 with a moving large ball bearing. 
https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/making-cult-childrens-sci-fi-glitterball

I remember seeing a few others from that era but no details annoyingly. 

I adored Glitterball. I loved how it ate the food! :D

I've got 3 more. I'll give them fake names to make referring to easier. I have doubts anyone will have seen them, but worth a shot. These have been bugging me for years.

1) Thumbtacks on a typewriter

A short internet film. British made. Maybe around 2007? This should have been easy to find, but I just can't find it searching YouTube etc. Set in the 1980s, about a crime fiction writer who is obsessed with some small British car. If I knew the make, would probably be easy to find this. Something like a Ford Fiesta. His publisher says he refuses to publish his books because all of them are obsessed with this stupid car. There's weird flashbacks where you get the impression his brother was murdered while in such a car, hence his obsession. Cut to a bleak wide-shot where the writer is in a caravan on an empty patch of industrial estate, very grey and bleak, and he's putting thumbtacks on each key of his typewriter, so that when he types his next crime book about this car his fingers will push into each thumbtack's pin. It was actually super depressing. Reminds me of that Sonic Hedgehog short film where the boy kills himself as an adult. Mainly I wanted to take a screengrab of the shot with the pins on the typing keys.

2) Bearded War Vet Breakdown

From around late 1980s early 1990s, a cheap action-flick. It looks like two separate unfinished films stitched together. Starts with US solders, maybe in Vietnam. Mission goes wrong, and that segment just abruptly ends. Next segment is set decades later, a totally different actor is playing one of the vets - has a beard, does martial arts maybe, and appears to be suffering PTSD. He is visiting a shrink and then goes on the run. He drives a firebird car I think? The whole film was weird, like none of the scenes matched. Totally incoherent. The name was something like Firehawk, or Firebird, but looking online there were actual films with those names, and they're not this. In the end he drives off into the sunset in his iconic car. As I say: it looks like the quality of a student film, or someone took two unfinished projects and tried to save them by forcing them together.

3) Moving Walls Horror

Saw the end on some cheap horror channel knock-off on satellite. Looks like it was shot on VHS tape, cheap like "Things". The colours all desaturated. Looks like the 1980s. I came in the middle: scientists are in some lab where the walls are trying to kill them. One scientist lying on the floor while a cheap looking wall is moving back and forth trying to eat him. They somehow manage to struggle to find a ladder which allows them to climb up to the surface, where they see a busy highway. The credits are yellow text over a highway shot at night, lots of traffic driving down it. This film is so cheap and bad it might be a student film. Mostly I remember the walls trying to eat or consume or somehow squash and kill scientists who need to escape from the lab.