IGNORED

I hate Directors Cut, Special Editions etc

gospvg

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Most of the new content you can just buy separately.

That is fair enough when offered but some of these extra content you have to play the game again. I don't have time for that. Especially if it is a 60+ hour timesink.

Solution is easy I am done buying games on release will wait for these inevitable editions to release and buy them secondhand.

I felt cheated when I bought a CD for £9.99 only to see it re-released a month later with a bonus track on.  So my gut reaction to a director's cut of a game I already paid £70 for is a no from me.

But it all depends on what that director's cut gives you.  A remaster that improves the game massively might tempt me to invest if it was a game I loved and would want to play again.  But the last game I truly adored was Deadly Premonition and the directors cut was jerkier, crashed more often and added cut scenes that didn't make much sense.  So I'm not against Remastered, re-released, directors cuts per se, but they should be "genuine".  Xbox Series X shows us how you can remaster The Evil Within by just unlocking the frame rate.  But a director's cut for a game from the past could be great, if it's done properly.  Resident Evil on GameCube would be the perfect example for me.  Properly redone with modern tech, making the game you loved 10 years earlier the best it can be.  Yes, that's good. More of that please.

A lot of these are just a more pretentious name for next-gen ports aren’t they? With some new content on top like Final Doom. Everyone got tired of “remastered” and “HD” and so on and came up with something stupider. (Games don’t even have alternative cuts in the sense a film does!)

Yes, because what the new consoles seem to demonstrate is that you can "remaster" a game by simply unlocking the frame rate.  I bought a few remasters for PS4 ( Bulletstorm springs to mind).  Seeing games improving on Xbox Series X makes me wonder how much work went into those previous remasters.  Did I pay £40 for game I already owned, patched slightly in a day? 

19 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

A lot of these are just a more pretentious name for next-gen ports aren’t they? With some new content on top like Final Doom. Everyone got tired of “remastered” and “HD” and so on and came up with something stupider. (Games don’t even have alternative cuts in the sense a film does!)

It's not even that. The Director's Cut in this case is just the original game packaged with the DLC expansion. And you can buy the DLC separately and that's everything. This is a bit of a silly news item to throw the toys out of the pram for.

I'm similarly frustrated by the physical re-release of SOR 4 to include the upcoming DLC. I know I can buy the DLC and play it with the physical vanilla version that I bought upon release, but it just feels as though I am being punished for supporting the game from the off - I rarely buy things at full price but I wanted to support SOR 4 as a fan of the series since way back - as a physical collector, I want the whole thing where possible, not half on my cart and half on my Switch.

6 hours ago, Hitcher said:

If you don't have the time why are you annoyed?

Because I purchased the game, played it and enjoyed it very much only for the developers to release a director cut and ask for another £50 and 60 hours of my time.

6 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's not even that. The Director's Cut in this case is just the original game packaged with the DLC expansion. And you can buy the DLC separately and that's everything. This is a bit of a silly news item to throw the toys out of the pram for.

This is one example, FF7 and Persona got the same treatment.

With FF7R there's no reason to play the main game again, though, unless you just feel like playing it all again, or carrying on where you left off from your previous save.

It's just a (free) PS5 upgrade. The actual new paid-for content is completely separate from the main story.

Back in the day I’d buy the original and pirated the inevitable Director’s Cut/Japanese Release with bonus tracks. Games, music, film, whatever.

Nowadays I can’t no bothered, the base game is good enough.

3 hours ago, Ennuikara said:

I'm similarly frustrated by the physical re-release of SOR 4 to include the upcoming DLC. I know I can buy the DLC and play it with the physical vanilla version that I bought upon release, but it just feels as though I am being punished for supporting the game from the off - I rarely buy things at full price but I wanted to support SOR 4 as a fan of the series since way back - as a physical collector, I want the whole thing where possible, not half on my cart and half on my Switch.

I paid full price digital (PS4) so I could get it on day one then paid £49 for the signature edition a few months later as I wanted a physical copy

At least with Alex Kidd they did day and date physical releases , so I bought a nice boxed copy without having to double dip.

I'll just buy the digital dlc for SOR though, i'm not buying the main game for a 3rd time on the same platform

10 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

£70 for a game that will be over a year old when the director's cut is released, though. Total price-gouging.

23 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

£70 for a game that will be over a year old when the director's cut is released, though. Total price-gouging.

I'm not arguing that the price is high for this (it is) or that I don't find some of the aspects of the GoT "Director's Cut" distasteful (you'll see me saying so in the GoT thread.) But, as a GoT owner myself, there's no reason to look at the "Director's Cut" (actually just some DLC and a free-to-all patch update that you'll get either way) as something to be derided. It's just a DLC expansion that you could buy - for £20 - if you own the original game, play it through. Or ignore it and still get anything that's in the patch. It's the extra tenner for the next-gen update that sticks in my craw.

As you rightly say, sticking a £70 pricetag on the PS5 full release is steep, and not like a GOTY edition would be (that's a fucking stupid naming convention also) but I don't need to pay that if I own the original - which is where the OP's frustration is coming from. Oh no, someone made more content for the game I played.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm not arguing that the price is high for this (it is) or that I don't find some of the aspects of the GoT "Director's Cut" distasteful (you'll see me saying so in the GoT thread.) But, as a GoT owner myself, there's no reason to look at the "Director's Cut" (actually just some DLC and a free-to-all patch update that you'll get either way) as something to be derided. It's just a DLC expansion that you could buy - for £20 - if you own the original game, play it through. Or ignore it and still get anything that's in the patch. It's the extra tenner for the next-gen update that sticks in my craw.

As you rightly say, sticking a £70 pricetag on the PS5 full release is steep, and not like a GOTY edition would be (that's a fucking stupid naming convention also) but I don't need to pay that if I own the original - which is where the OP's frustration is coming from. Oh no, someone made more content for the game I played.

I'm just disappointed that the DC isn't, say, £50. I think that would be totally fine for the game and yet still a fair whack. I haven't played GoT and am certainly interested in playing it at some point. Just very unlikely at launch... I guess I'll pick the PS5 version up when it gets to around £50 in a Christmas sale.