IGNORED

I hate Directors Cut, Special Editions etc

gospvg

I've always waited until the GOTY or complete editions of games go on sale and very rarely pre-order. These publishers rely on idiots pre-ordering at full whack AND splashing out on a GOTY and frankly I'm not having that. Picking up Far Cry 5 with a ll the DLC for £13 some time ago made me glad I hadn't touched it at full price. Even better was Borderlands 2 with all the DLC for a tenner in a Steam sale. Pre-order if you must but don't come crying to me when you feel diddled by publishers.

21 hours ago, Fallows said:

This is a good way to quit modern gaming. I took the exact same stance four years ago and in all that time I've only purchased CP2077. 

Unless they turn out to be utterly legendary most games lose their appeal a few weeks after they release. I intend to buy stuff later on in a sale but I can never end up being arsed. Plus, I have a back-log of classics that could last me another ninety years at least.

Thai is exactly the approach I take. I’m a good generation or two behind and I don’t really care. Most of the time I play on my wii u or ps4 pro where I have a huge backlog. 

Special editions can do one though. Games used to come out in one version and you played it. If mugs didn’t buy this rubbish they wouldn’t make them I guess but it’s all fairly depressing. 

9 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I like them since I rarely buy (non-Fighting, Mario) games at launch so picking up a cheaper bundle with everything later is nice. Especially if it's a gen later and they've smoothed out performance issues or whatever.

Fighting games are slightly less gross about it when they offer the bolt-on DLC that's cheaper than buying a full game again. The SSFIV->AE upgrade DLC was the cost of an XBLA game if I recall.

Most games I like don't tend to get them. But glad I didn't get around to Disco Elysium right away.

Indies aren't exempt from this practice but it certainly is less prevalent.

I don't mind when it's just the usual collection of dlc re release, that's what I usually buy. This new thing of launching a whole new version of the game with extra main story stuff that isn't available as dlc in a story-based genre like jrpgs can get fucked. 

I have no problems with a directors cut or extra content being released a year or so down  the line, but when a game has 3 or 4 different versions on day one, the 'best' version is added to my wishlist and purchased when it's on sale. 

To a certain extent, is some of this self-fulfilling? It’s games that are successful at launch which give the developer enough money to make upgrades and add-on content, which then goes in to a definitive version later, which then annoys all the many people who bought the original release.

1 minute ago, Fallows said:

I don't think many games these days are released without a roadmap for this kind of monetisation.

Many things are even Kickstarted with them already on the table.

Right, you have a plan for scaling the size of the game depending on how much you can afford, and either it goes ahead or it doesn't depending on whether you made enough money on the original release to fund making it and have enough customers with the base game to then buy it afterwards.

Obviously with AAA games this stuff is seldom not going to be made - Mass Effect 3 would've had to do truly diabolically at launch for EA to cancel £50 of single-player add-ons - but in the indie space, developers are very explicit about how unexpected success of Shovel Knight or Hollow Knight or some other knight allowed them to do a series of ambitious post-launch expansions.

I used to dislike it when I bought a CD at launch from an artist I liked and then a year later they brought out a special edition with extra tracks (often a whole full length CD not available separately) that I'd then either have to double purchase or miss out on. That felt like a kick in the teeth.

I don't feel like that about games at all. The later expansions are always available to buy on their own, you don't miss out, everything's there for all. Someone making more content for the game you liked seems like a good thing, if you want it.

I think there's more questions about all the pre-order editions and inducements (many of which seem to work to take challenge out of the game) and the tat therein, or the launch DLC/season pass special editions (often stuff that simply wasn't good enough to make the main game) than there is the stuff that comes out significantly later.

20 hours ago, Vimster said:

I've always waited until the GOTY or complete editions of games go on sale and very rarely pre-order. These publishers rely on idiots pre-ordering at full whack AND splashing out on a GOTY and frankly I'm not having that. Picking up Far Cry 5 with a ll the DLC for £13 some time ago made me glad I hadn't touched it at full price. Even better was Borderlands 2 with all the DLC for a tenner in a Steam sale. Pre-order if you must but don't come crying to me when you feel diddled by publishers.

Which is fine but that means you bought Borderlands 2 seven years after release.

I'll trade that saving for the 7 years of co-op fun I had with it thanks.

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Which is fine but that means you bought Borderlands 2 seven years after release.

I'll trade that saving for the 7 years of co-op fun I had with it thanks.

Yeah but you missed out on a cutscene and some new skins.

On 02/07/2021 at 05:16, Ennuikara said:

I'm similarly frustrated by the physical re-release of SOR 4 to include the upcoming DLC. I know I can buy the DLC and play it with the physical vanilla version that I bought upon release, but it just feels as though I am being punished for supporting the game from the off - I rarely buy things at full price but I wanted to support SOR 4 as a fan of the series since way back - as a physical collector, I want the whole thing where possible, not half on my cart and half on my Switch.

First the LRG debacle, now this? The physical release has been all over the place.

On 03/07/2021 at 09:40, Uncle Mike said:

The later expansions are always available to buy on their own, you don't miss out, everything's there for all. 

They're not. Persona 5 Royal is the best example but the new content for Ff7 Remake isn't available on the original ps4 version either.

39 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Dodgy special editions. Who buys this shit?

Lolita swimming suit goggles? I mean seriously wtf

05E75436-D54C-4BA0-BFBD-A4E74B3C0511.thumb.jpeg.0ec4b24cee7a542f21b27d1b4d730aec.jpeg

If you don't know this game in general, that's about the least disturbing aspect.

Special editions in general are just money gouging. They could be good, I’m quite partial in theory to a good special edition but they happen so rarely. I’d pay a bit extra if a game came with a good OST or well made art book with a making of, something substantial and meaningful. That’s so rare though, it’s mostly just tat. The likes of Limited Run/Strictly limited /Signature edition etc you’d hope would put out decent ones but it’s all just an expensive box full of tat. So in reality I’ve never bought a special edition. 

• 5 months later...

I don't see the appeal of limited editions that come with a load of tat. You'll probably look at the items once and then put it all back in the box. Then you need the space to keep the box, and if you ever decide to sell you have to find a big enough box to put it in, spend an age wrapping it up, and pay a load to post it. It's not as easy as bunging a PS4 case in a padded envelope.