One Series Wonders

schmojo

I would recommend The Pacific which is unfairly maligned because it’s not as cohesive as Band of Brothers - it’s adapting three stories instead of one and it makes a couple of missteps in the first half of the series.

The second half of the series contains a three-episode run that is one of the most brutally relentless depictions of war that I’ve ever seen on screen, and a penultimate episode focused on Okinawa that is an astonishing combination of bleakness and beauty.

Put it this way, at the end of Band of Brothers you think ‘war is bad but aren’t the mates you make along the way great?’ At the end of the Pacific you think ‘war is fucking dreadful and destroys bodies and souls without mercy’.

I know which of these I think is most likely to be the more accurate depiction.

2 hours ago, Flanders said:

I would recommend The Pacific which is unfairly maligned because it’s not as cohesive as Band of Brothers - it’s adapting three stories instead of one and it makes a couple of missteps in the first half of the series.

The second half of the series contains a three-episode run that is one of the most brutally relentless depictions of war that I’ve ever seen on screen, and a penultimate episode focused on Okinawa that is an astonishing combination of bleakness and beauty.

Put it this way, at the end of Band of Brothers you think ‘war is bad but aren’t the mates you make along the way great?’ At the end of the Pacific you think ‘war is fucking dreadful and destroys bodies and souls without mercy’.

I know which of these I think is most likely to be the more accurate depiction.

I’m watching this at the moment, started a day or two back. Excellent stuff 

On 11/07/2021 at 19:42, Camel said:

Did we do Utopia already?

Having watched this over the last week, I'd say that perversely this show would actually have a higher standing as a one hit wonder if they had cancelled it after the first series, instead of the 2nd as rather like Westworld and various other promising ideas, I think the more this had gone on, the less loved it would have become.

The 2nd series was rather meandering for most of its run and then rushed its conclusion to setup the planned next chapter imo.