TIE Fighter Total Conversion

Do you not think it takes a bit if the charm out of it? There was something about the visuals of the originals that I felt added to it. 

Might just be a nostalgia / rose tint thing, but I think I preferred it the way it was. 

16 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Do you not think it takes a bit if the charm out of it? There was something about the visuals of the originals that I felt added to it. 

Might just be a nostalgia / rose tint thing, but I think I preferred it the way it was. 

Not at all, I really wish someone would go back and something like this for Freelancer.

Edit... ooh someone has!

I tried to give it a go last night but X Wing Alliance wont load properly with the XWAU patch installed. I'm gonna have to have a mess around with the config file tonight and see if I get it working

On 08/07/2021 at 16:30, SM47 said:

I tried to give it a go last night but X Wing Alliance wont load properly with the XWAU patch installed. I'm gonna have to have a mess around with the config file tonight and see if I get it working

Did you have any luck with it? Does it require any special steps to get it running once you have it on Steam and got the files?

Not so far, in fairness the copy of XWA I have from gog doesn't even run vanilla on my machine unless I use a D3d wrapper created by a modder. I'm gonna put in the hours this weekend and try and get it working. My problems sound pretty rare in all honesty, give it a try yourself and I'm sure itll be fine. As far as I can tell it's just a case of running exe files and pointing them at your installation. 

Going off topic a bit, I do miss pre-1997, pre-revival Star Wars. Back when it was an old campy film series you knew from the annual ITV Boxing Day screenings and all the various licensed games, from the Atari arcade games to TIE Fighter and everything in between. Some old films that had some entertaining games made about them: That was the best Star Wars.

I finally got this working. Won't bore everyone with the tedious pc gaming details. Suffice to say many values were edited in wordpad and much gnashing of teeth ensued. 

I've opted for Classic, mainly because of the original VO, and did the opening training missions/first proper mission. I love it. The new dynamic cockpits are ludicrously atmospheric. And the taking off from the belly of a Star Destroyer with storm troopers standing around and one of those little droids cutting about chirping. It's just so bloody star warsy. It looks FANTASTIC considering it's a mod of a 20 year old game. I can't wait to play more. 

I can't wait to try this out on the weekend. It sounds amazing.

Squadrons was great and looks awesome, but it just didn't quite have the single player depth and content I was looking for, so this will hopefully fill that gap.

Was getting some weirdly poor performance when looking around the cockpit - this is on a GTX1060, so not sure if there's something strange going on there.

First impressions are that this is pretty good, though it does seem to have some general performance issues regardless of your machine. It's definitely a nice way of revisiting Tie Fighter. However, it's obviously really quite buggy, so for anyone who's never played Tie Fighter before I'd probably point them to the Collector's edition on GOG for a first-timer.

It has reminded me just how good a modern update Squadrons is however - that game might be light on single player content but it's really impressive how well it recreated the feel of these old sims while also being more immediately accessible. Shockingly, Tie Fighter has actually dated a fair bit mechanically, as sad as I am to admit that about one of my favourite games of all time.

So I was thinking of buying this on gog.

Is a Xbox 360 pad a good enough joystick?

They have special edition, is that different to collector's edition?

I played through X-Wing and TIE Fighter a couple of years back with a Xbox One controller, was a faff to set up with JoyToKey but it did the job pretty nicely once set up so you should be fine.

14 hours ago, Rsdio said:

I played through X-Wing and TIE Fighter a couple of years back with a Xbox One controller, was a faff to set up with JoyToKey but it did the job pretty nicely once set up so you should be fine.

This was the issue I had when it came out on gog - you can't remap your controls in the game, as far as I could see. Does this JoyToKey fix that? 

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

This was the issue I had when it came out on gog - you can't remap your controls in the game, as far as I could see. Does this JoyToKey fix that? 

Yeah, you can just map keyboard commands to whatever joypad input you want. No idea if it'll still work OK after several years or if the layout will suit anyone else but my settings for TIE Fighter are below, paste them into a cfg file in JoyToKey's config folder and it should show up in the program.

Spoiler

[General]
FileVersion=57
NumberOfJoysticks=2
NumberOfButtons=32
DisplayMode=3
UseDiagonalInput=0
UsePOV8Way=0
Threshold=20
Threshold2=20
KeySendMode=0
SoundFile=