IGNORED

Marvel (Disney) What If? August 11th 2021 Disney+

Arn X Treme

There's a strong thread of deliberate stupidity running through this series that I'm really on board with.

They're still asking way too much of the low-rent character models in the dialogue scenes, and there are a lot of really rough line reads.

Spoiler

"The green guy."

"That's doctor brucebanner."

But the fun they're having with it, and the action editing, are still enough to carry it.

Edit - It just occurred to me that there is a section of this which must have been an absolute rights nightmare.

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

There's a strong thread of deliberate stupidity running through this series that I'm really on board with.

They're still asking way too much of the low-rent character models in the dialogue scenes, and there are a lot of really rough line reads.

Hide contents

"The green guy."

"That's doctor brucebanner."

But the fun they're having with it, and the action editing, are still enough to carry it.

Edit - It just occurred to me that there is a section of this which must have been an absolute rights nightmare.

Which bit?

The premise cheats a bit- it's set around the time of Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk and Thor- but the twist at the end clearly implies that this episode's universe diverged from the MCU a long time ago.

Spoiler

You've got the Marvel doing an MCU-ised version of a Universal movie of a Marvel property whose solo rights are owned by Universal, with the actor recast.

Okay it's probably not the biggest puzzle in the universe but it's not nothing.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

You've got the Marvel doing an MCU-ised version of a Universal movie of a Marvel property whose solo rights are owned by Universal, with the actor recast.

Okay it's probably not the biggest puzzle in the universe but it's not nothing.

Eh, I'm not convinced. Mind you, I can't remember TIH at all- did the pizza delivery thing happen in that?

Just watched all 3. Loved every minute. I really love the animation, the lighting, and the combat (especially in the Captain Carter Ep), and I like the stories a lot.

I also had no idea Boseman had recorded this, so that was a strange feeling hearing him in another role so long after his passing. And just realised that was exactly a year ago today. Fuck.

Anyway, I love this show. More please.

Really seeing what they can do with the premise this time, a lot of range and a lot of surprises. And something with real stakes for the main story - even though it isn’t canonical in and of itself.

The knock-off of Adagio in D Minor took me out of it a bit. They really need to stop temp scoring so heavily.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

The knock-off of Adagio in D Minor took me out of it a bit. They really need to stop temp scoring so heavily.

That got me too. Used properly it is one of the greatest pieces of music ever used in movies (Sunshine, Kick-Ass), but coming off the back of the almost criminal use of it in WW84 that episode jarred a little.

Otherwise, FUCK!!!!

I clearly live in opposite-dimension, as I loved the first three but thought that was pretty poor. The performances were universally mediocre, the script was cloying, and the animation was the weakest of the four.

So, there’s that.

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

I clearly live in opposite-dimension, as I loved the first three but thought that was pretty poor. The performances were universally mediocre, the script was cloying, and the animation was the weakest of the four.

So, there’s that.

He's a poor opposite man. Living in an opposite land. 

Or just different people like different things.  I think it's that simple. Or am I simple. You decide...

Just catching up on this as I'd only seen the first one (which didn't do a lot for me), but episodes 2, 3 and 4 were much better, especially episode 4. I didn't expect them to go that dark and bleak.

Really, apart from some of the voice acting (I didn't even know del Toro was doing the voice it was that bad), my only real criticism was how Thanos was used.

I too thought it was the weakest. 

The first ten minutes were great, I thought the montage was well done. The general concept and scope of the story was also good. It did pickup towards the end and had a few nice touches, but the performance was really poor and the script was lacking. Honestly, I found it quite boring, which is mad considering what was happening. 

Maybe it's because the scope was so much grander than the three prior episodes, but I felt it missed its potential by some way. 

8 hours ago, drmick said:

Anybody else think Cumberbatch sounded nothing like his usual voice? And that includes the Grinch!

I thought that about pretty much everyone for some reason. Not sure what that is?  Maybe it's actually something to do with the faces/animation?

18 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I thought that about pretty much everyone for some reason. Not sure what that is?  Maybe it's actually something to do with the faces/animation?

Initially I thought it wasn't Cumberbatch at all, but then he settled into the role and it was clearly him. I wonder if he was trying to do a slightly different voice for young Stephen versus Doctor Strange.

In general I'm impressed how many of the original crew they've actually got back for this. Unfortunately it does mean that the imposters stand out. The terrible Scarlet Johannson impersonator from episode 3 was a low point.

39 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Initially I thought it wasn't Cumberbatch at all, but then he settled into the role and it was clearly him. I wonder if he was trying to do a slightly different voice for young Stephen versus Doctor Strange.

In general I'm impressed how many of the original crew they've actually got back for this. Unfortunately it does mean that the imposters stand out. The terrible Scarlet Johannson impersonator from episode 3 was a low point.

The thing I picked up a lot from this, and previous comments that normo actors aren't necessarily voice actors. It's true. You need a stand out accent and tone to be a good voice actor. You have to over egg everything because that's literally your whole performance. Cumberbund's American voice is totally generic, so without his real face, and proper acting in the scene, it's just...meh. Stand out voice actors are extreme and over the top, because they have to be.

In other news, I thought this episode was fking awesome!