Retro Gamer 222

In the ongoing saga of "The new distributors are absolute fucking idiots".

142326949_2021-07-1110_28_08.jpg.5b80b6aceaf02aa5d7acd1c11d770b7c.jpg

I am both a very special long term subscriber and it's my last chance to restart my subscription, presumably before they ban me from ever subscribing again.

(If you're wondering I changed from physical to digital at the start of the year when they started sending out magazines in wet tissue paper.  I've been getting variants on the top one ever since despite still being subscribed with the same address.  But that means they're calling me a very special long term sub after 6 months of a pre-paid single year that as far as they know is my first).

There's an advert in the mag for "ultimate retro PC gamer collection" I've searched on magazinesdirect.com but can't find it. Anyone know what's going on? 

17 hours ago, Dudley said:

In the ongoing saga of "The new distributors are absolute fucking idiots".I

I hadn’t followed this but did it change about the turn of the year? I did notice about then that I never see it in the few local shops that used to stock it here. 

My copy this month came with a chunk of the cover missing. I never had a single problem for years until these dick heads started distribution, now there's something wrong every other issue.

• 2 weeks later...

The app for retro gamer is utter shit. 

I paid for the full back catalogue but the app says the library can’t connect to the app store and the store tab reckons there are no products found. Utter wank. iPhone 12 so should be no compatibility issues. 

Don’t pay for the back issue offer is my recommendation. 

On 25/07/2021 at 20:45, the_debaser said:

The app for retro gamer is utter shit. 

I paid for the full back catalogue but the app says the library can’t connect to the app store and the store tab reckons there are no products found. Utter wank. iPhone 12 so should be no compatibility issues. 

Don’t pay for the back issue offer is my recommendation. 

Have you contacted help@magazinesdirect.com as they should be able to help you.

On 08/07/2021 at 19:20, strider said:

You are which is why you got a completely different cover :)

tbh - though I could certainly do no better - I feel the KOF illustration on the subs' cover is a bit....well sub par.

This seems to be the case with quite a few of them - the PoP one also springs to mind

4 hours ago, HOW said:

tbh - though I could certainly do no better - I feel the KOF illustration on the subs' cover is a bit....well sub par.

This seems to be the case with quite a few of them - the PoP one also springs to mind

I really love the KOF subs cover :)

With thanks to Charles Martinet, I can share some brilliant audio extracts from the interview.

There’s the intro he gave me to test for levels, the section on recording in the early days with limited memory, how his job for Nintendo has been “one marvellous adventure after another” and a longer section on what happens during recording sessions and his inspiration for voices.

We had zero post for the past week and a bit, was because the local sorting office was shut due to self isolation. I guess once one infected person is near it can affect basically everyone within the building.

"But rest assured at least 75% of the next issue will still eventually reach you, along with maybe half the bit of damp toilet issue we now use for packaging".

3 hours ago, knightbeat said:

I find your lack of faith... disturbing (and other Star Wars puns). The subscriber cover looks great this month.

Yup I'm pretty pleased with how that one looks.

48 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

We got that one, the new issue. 

Yeah it should be appearing any time from now. That delay is clearly affecting a lot more areas.

I wondered why I hadn't been getting complaints saying 'Star Wars Battlefront and Force Awakens aren't retro' yet.