Which is the best Fable game to play in 2021?

Jamie John

Which is the best Fable game to play in 2021?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm playing through Fable anniversary at the moment. All the opening stuff looks like garbage and somehow worse than the original version of the game but once you get past that it's pretty great.

I voted 2 though. It's got a lot more going on, was Lionhead at their absolute peak.

3 is good and holds up. For everything it improves on it falls back in some other way. The whole last bit of the game is a cool idea but was rushed.

The whole series feels refreshing to play in 2021. Hope the new one lives up to it.

One of my favourite series. Two definitely then try anniversary afterwards. MS still have to earn my trust after trying to Kinect fuck it and then inexplicably torpedoing the whole series because of reasons. 

Fable 2 is the best I think, and the one that’s the most quintessentially ‘Fable’, but Fable 3 is massively underrated. I struggled with 3 at first due to a few really odd design quirks (such as the bloody inventory), but once I got into it I was hooked. They scratch that same kind of itch that Zelda games do for me, and they’re full of British humour and voice acting, plus they don’t take themselves seriously at all.

The last point is key for me, I think. I’ve tried many times to get into The Witcher games, but they’re just too po-faced to hold my interest.

The Fable series might feel a little dated now - especially the first game, as it was an Xbox game originally - so maybe dial down your expectations a little. But I loved them.

A couple of years ago, I restarted Fable 3 from the beginning (having previously played the first few hours when it was included with Games With Gold). In the underground section near the very start, I encountered a softlock bug where my character got stuck inside some scenery, and remained that way upon reloading.

It might be a rare bug, but it's enough that I'd be wary of starting Fable 3 in case that happened many hours into the game.

Fable 2 is best for me. Fable was finding its feet in terms of mechanics and feels a bit clunky in places. Fable 2 is just a great fantasy epic that isnt overwhelming in terms of length and scope. Fable 3 suffered a bit from stunt casting (Cleese for instance was very irritating). I felt some of the game mechanics in 3 had been dumbed down a bit too much , there was even less "rpg" in my rpg-lite game. I also felt that it was far shorter than 2 although howlongtobeat disagrees putting both games at almost exact same length - maybe it was that the scope and openness felt more hemmed in that 2? Or the fact that I didn't enjoy it as much once I was King?

The best is the one that exists in Molyneux's mind, where you can plant an acorn as a child and a tree will grow over time.

Sadly the only way to play it these days involves kidnapping and intravenous hallucinogenic drugs.

Anyone fancy bundling Pete into the back of a white van?

I think Fable 3 *feels* shorter because the final act largely amounts to a succession of either/or choices, and it definitely feels like they had to scope that whole part back because they ran out of time (I'd love to do a Making Of on that game someday). The idea of being king is brilliant, but it doesn't quite come off. There are a few other moments in the game where it pulls back from doing something properly daring - there's that bit in the desert where it seems like you're going to have to trek for ages and ages and then it just goes 'nah, you're alright'. And some of its design choices are bold but misguided attempts to streamline RPG mechanics for a mainstream audience. 

I also think the more industrialised setting is less pleasant to spend time in, so you're maybe more likely to get through the story quicker. I know I spent longer in Fable II simply pottering about because that version of Albion was such a delightful place to just exist in.

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

A couple of years ago, I restarted Fable 3 from the beginning (having previously played the first few hours when it was included with Games With Gold). In the underground section near the very start, I encountered a softlock bug where my character got stuck inside some scenery, and remained that way upon reloading.

It might be a rare bug, but it's enough that I'd be wary of starting Fable 3 in case that happened many hours into the game.

Ah fuck, is that bug still in there…. It’s rare, but if you do get stuck turn off the console or quit to the dashboard in a way that doesn’t save.  I think if you go into the loading screen there might be rolling saves, can’t 100% remember if that was only for dev or not. 

1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

Shameless plug but you should check out Kynseed, it's being made by some of the guys who made the fable games with yours truly on character design duties...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/758870/Kynseed/

Cool, didn’t know you were working on it.  Charlie & Neal are great guys who know their shit.  I’m looking forward to playing it, I backed it on Kickstarter & played some early builds but now I’m waiting for it to come out of early access.

I tried Fable 2 not long after getting a series X, and it seemed to have LOADS of input latency. So much that I couldn't get on with it. Thought there was something wrong with my setup, but switching to other games seemed to work fine; so I chalked it up to a bug and didn't go back.

It looked really lovely. The art and lighting hold up well under higher resolutions. The protracted, stop-start opening section, unskippable cutscenes and dialog and all.. is fairly painful.

1 hour ago, The Bag said:

Cool, didn’t know you were working on it.  Charlie & Neal are great guys who know their shit.  I’m looking forward to playing it, I backed it on Kickstarter & played some early builds but now I’m waiting for it to come out of early access.

Yep they are awesome guys to work with. I am on it full time at the moment, you'll be surprised if you haven't played it for a while it's come on a LONG way.

I've only played Fable 2, but I loved it. As has been said earlier, it's the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously, and it's got a proper British sense of humour. I can remember very little about what the actual quests involved, but just have fond memories of getting my character very fat and then getting statues of me made in daft poses, being called "Dumpling" by everyone, and sacrificing loads of villagers just to see what I looked like Evil. 

4 hours ago, James Lyon said:

I've not played Fable either. Is there any crossover in the games' stories that makes it worth playing the first or are they all self-contained?

I don't remember feeling like I missed out. There's probably shared lore, but honestly I've only played number 2 and probably wouldn't have realised there was a prequel if I didn't know better.

@The Bag I'm just wondering now. Is my cash still going up whilst I'm away? I played it on Xbox 360, I haven't logged in for so many years. Will I be even filthier rich than I already was, or was that capped somehow?

(My guess is I'm fucking minted if I ever go back...)

I don't think I have posted this before (if I have then apologies) but thanks for Fable 2* @The Bag . It was such a treat of a game to me, fitting my sense of humour and hitting my gaming sweet spot. Not many games do that, RPGs are usually too long and too bloated these days. The whole place felt alive to me, yes you could "game" it, but if you just played it then it felt like a natural well built world full of people instead of NPCs who GIVE OUT INFORMATION.

When we did our top 100 in 2015 it was my number 10 and I still stand by that. I don't really replay games but I might pop back and give this another go as it such a delightful game.

*your part in it I mean obviously