Jump to content
IGNORED

Pixar's Turning Red - March 2022


Nick R
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

 

sxgvi0l03za71.thumb.jpg.7cf3c55e55167e0b16aa7ad070f7a4cc.jpg

 

Spoiler

1:38 - Hey, it's the Steven Universe Bean Mouth - now in CG!

 

The Pixar movie that this teaser most reminded me of was Inside Out, as that was another film in which a girl's emotions were represented as a red character.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chosty said:

You may be on to something there...

image.png.a24997788892c3efb6edc45c42950613.png

 

Jesus wept. Then again, I see it's from the director of the short Bao that people raved about but was equally obvious so maybe folk'll love it.

 

What do we reckon, people, and the protagonist, come to terms with the beast part of themselves, they meet other beast kids and find acceptance, or -shock!- everyone has a beast inside!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Darwock said:

Pixar’s art style seems to be slowly morphing into Aardman animation. Did they trade some staff or something?


Luca feels more like Aardman to me, whereas this red panda with the big teeth and mouth and huggable fur reminds me a bit of Totoro.  It makes sense that things change though, you have to let new blood through to direct after 25 years.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/07/2021 at 22:57, Doctor Shark said:

They're not even trying anymore, are they?

 

I'm finding the casual but kind of brutal dismissal of this funny, imagine an animator showing the trailer to their parents, presenting it as 'here's what I've been working on for the last few years!' only for them to say 'Pixar don't seem to be trying anymore, do they?'.

 

It's reminding me of Big Hero 6 before it became a superhero film. It had a lot of potential up to a point.

 

Pixar seem to be increasingly trying to make films young kids will find relatable, that was never the intention in their early films was it. It seems like everyone has forgetten that Pixar were almost up there with the Simpsons writers in how they could conjure comedy from characters and make adults laugh just as much as kids.

 

Another small scale largely predictable film that will be delightful and charming but nonetheless unfulfilling. The colour palette is beautiful though. Are people sure they don't want to see Pixar take on the revenge assassin genre? Or a horror? Something that doesn't carry a message and is just unrelenting and brutal? Why do I want this? I just do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Timbuktu said:


Luca feels more like Aardman to me, whereas this red panda with the big teeth and mouth and huggable fur reminds me a bit of Totoro.  It makes sense that things change though, you have to let new blood through to direct after 25 years.

 

 


Look at the picture of the girl in the name tag. That smile is pure Wallace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Timbuktu said:


Luca feels more like Aardman to me, whereas this red panda with the big teeth and mouth and huggable fur reminds me a bit of Totoro.  It makes sense that things change though, you have to let new blood through to direct after 25 years.

 

 

 

I think it's more that this is the result and what's left of new blood when it has squeezed itself through the brain trust - it's been pulped into a generic goo  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are all starting to feel very samey these days. They all seem like they’re about children growing up and how they deal with their emotions.

 

What happened to the days of toys coming to life, insects standing up to a protection racket, monsters generating energy by scaring children or a rat becoming a celebrated chef?

 

As technically accomplished as they are, it feels like they’ve lost a lot of their creativity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JPL said:

What happened to the days of toys coming to life, insects standing up to a protection racket, monsters generating energy by scaring children or a rat becoming a celebrated chef?

 

Prior to Luca we've had dead white woman stealing a black man's body, trolls on a quest, toys coming to life, dysfunctional superhero family, child growing up and learning to deal with emotions (plus guitars), shit talking cars, forgetful fish.

 

Pixar stuff has always been about people growing up and learning to deal with emotions, they're just doing it a bit more blandly and on the nose nowadays. I think a lot of that is down to losing Lasseter. As much of a menace as he was in the workplace, he had an incredible animator's brain and he knew how to give a story a bit of energy. They need someone else like him in the driving seat again, just without the wandering hands. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Exidor said:

 

Prior to Luca we've had dead white woman stealing a black man's body, trolls on a quest, toys coming to life, dysfunctional superhero family, child growing up and learning to deal with emotions (plus guitars), shit talking cars, forgetful fish.

 

Pixar stuff has always been about people growing up and learning to deal with emotions, they're just doing it a bit more blandly and on the nose nowadays. I think a lot of that is down to losing Lasseter. As much of a menace as he was in the workplace, he had an incredible animator's brain and he knew how to give a story a bit of energy. They need someone else like him in the driving seat again, just without the wandering hands. 

I know they’re all tales of personal discovery and growth, but their ideas are starting to feel a lot more stale these days. I agree it’s probably down to the loss of Lasseter that’s caused it, but I’d love for them to get back to the creativity of their earlier films.

 

I could be wrong, but this just feels like a rehashed Inside Out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think I've ever seen people criticise Pixar films for all being about growing up and learning to deal with emotions!

 

Normally when people criticise Pixar for sticking to one genre, the complaint is that they're almost always buddy comedies about mismatched partners. The exceptions being those that are more about groups than pairs (two Incredibles films, A Bug's Life, and arguably a couple of others like Toy Story 2 and 3).

 

Will Turning Red be a buddy comedy? No evidence of it in the synopsis and trailer, unless the mother and daughter are the mismatched pair like in Brave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t get me wrong @Nick R, I don’t mind if they’ve got a house style, whether that be growing up and dealing with emotions or mismatched buddy comedies where they have to learn to work together. They’re good tried and tested stories that generally always work well. What I’m more down on is that they seem to be lacking in imagination in ways to tell those stories these days.

 

I dunno, maybe I’m just getting old and jaded and I’ve lost the wonder and excitement that their early films gave me. I feel like I’ve seen the same thing, in the way they’re approaching their stories, too many times now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having watching an enormous number of family friendly films since lockdown started, I can confidently say that even the most recent Pixar releases are head and shoulders above most other family films. I think Sony Animation (Mitchells Vs the Machines, Spiderverse, Lego), are one of the few rivals to Pixar these days. Even looking at Pixar's recent output - Soul was fantastic and although Luca was perhaps less ambitious it was still a very good watch. In my opinion their only recent misstep was Onward but that was still perfectly watchable. 

 

Very much looking forward to Turning Red, because it means just for one week I don't have to watch some other turd like Lava Island. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 15/07/2021 at 07:50, Harsin said:

We've not long had a Pixar film where a child character is put into the body of an animal and learns important life lessons about growing up.

 

We've never had this as a Pixar film. What are you thinking of? 

 

It's doesn't look great, but I'm not willing to just dismiss it straight off the bat. 

 

I do wonder what people are going on about when they says "they're just not just trying anymore". The last 6 years has seen 6 original ideas amongst the 3 sequel films, all with very different ideas and plots. Pixar have always had messages in there for children, it was never just about toys coming to life or the secret world of bugs. I guess maybe having children rather than toys, bugs, superheroes, monsters or fish as the main characters make the messages more on the nose though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Capwn said:

Ending = She needs to do something that would GREATLY benefit from being a red panda but she doesn't, and succeeds whilst being her true self. 

:lol:

 

Now racking my brain trying to think of something they're good at beyond 'looking cute in video clips on social media'. OMFG she's going to be an influencer!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Stigweard said:

 

We've never had this as a Pixar film. What are you thinking of? 

 

It's doesn't look great, but I'm not willing to just dismiss it straight off the bat. 

 

I do wonder what people are going on about when they says "they're just not just trying anymore". The last 6 years has seen 6 original ideas amongst the 3 sequel films, all with very different ideas and plots. Pixar have always had messages in there for children, it was never just about toys coming to life or the secret world of bugs. I guess maybe having children rather than toys, bugs, superheroes, monsters or fish as the main characters make the messages more on the nose though.

 

I think he's thinking of Brave, but muddling up the plot a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.