IGNORED

Pixar's Turning Red - March 2022

Nick R

11 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Tis generally an animation cliche, if not a Pixar one. 

It's certainly not a Pixar one and even so, Brave was nearly 10 years ago now.

Actually thinking about, you say it's a cliche but I'm struggling to think of any animated film that does it. 

There isn't a single Disney, Pixar, Ardman, Dremworks, Sony or Ghibli feature that has a child turning into into animal. 

5 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

It's certainly not a Pixar one and even so, Brave was nearly 10 years ago now.

Actually thinking about, we say it's a cliche but I'm struggling to think of any animated film that does it. 

Princess and the Frog?

They did say child character tbf, I was trying to think of ones where a child is turned into an animal or creature. You're naming films where an adult gets turned into one and even so, its what, a handful of films in 90 years of animation. 5 or 6 films in a stack hundreds high is a cliche now?

12 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

They did say child character tbf, I was trying to think of ones where a child is turned into an animal or creature. You're naming films where an adult gets turned into one and even so, its what, a handful of films in 90 years of animation. 5 or 6 films in a stack hundred high is a cliche now?

Fair enough. The terms are fairly limited. There are very few films where an Asian Canadian girl gets turned into a red panda too.

7 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Fair enough. The terms are fairly limited. There are very few films where an Asian Canadian girl gets turned into a red panda too.

See its very original lol.

Tbh, as I've said I don't think this looks all that great but it's certainly not a case of "urrrrgh Pixar doing the same thing and being unoriginal again".

I do think maybe they could move away from having a child in the central role for a while, maybe that's why it feels so familiar?

13 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

See its very original lol.

Tbh, as I've said I don't think this looks all that great but it's certainly not a case of "urrrrgh Pixar doing the same thing and being unoriginal again".

I do think maybe they could move away from having a child in the central role for a while, maybe that's why it feels so familiar?

I like the design. I almost wish it was about a group of friends with no 'turning into a panda' gimmick at all. They seem like an interesting bunch.

• 1 month later...

I remember that when one of their previous films went straight to the bargain bin and some of the people who worked on it lamented the fact, they got some major stick for it.

“‘Luca’ doesn’t even have a premium price next to it,” one staffer told Insider. “Does it make it lesser? It’s hard to grasp.”

“We don’t want to be a title just on Disney Plus,” another staffer who is working on several upcoming Pixar movies added. “These movies are crafted for the big screen. We want you to watch these movies with no distractions, no looking at your phones.”

This move was rumoured last year as it seems to boost subscriber numbers for Disney+ which has experienced some slow growth lately.

The long term problem is the fact Disney can't keep the budgets for these Pixar films at the same level if they are going to be dumping them for 'free' onto Disney+, the numbers don't add up.