Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I've had my email through, but, as documented elsewhere, my original enthusiasm for the console has cooled massively. I'd originally planned to just sell it on eBay straight away and pocket the change, but made the (unwise, in hindsight) decision to put it in the Trading folder for anyone who couldn't wait. That's gone down as well as a cup of hot sick, which I probably should have anticipated, ha, and now I'm tempted to keep the bloody thing and have done with it.

I've probably asked this before, but is anyone here just using it for Steam games, without any of the tinkering? Are you actually playing games on it properly, or just endlessly sampling stuff to see what does and doesn't work? Has anyone found the novelty has worn off yet?

Anyway. People are no doubt fed up of my endless humming and hawing by now. I know I am. I can't help but over-analyse every big purchase I make.

12 hours ago, Ry said:

I still don't have an email. Pre-ordered within 10 mins as well. Weird. 

That doesn't sound right, I was three hours past and got my email yesterday. What version have you pre-ordered?

7 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've had my email through, but, as documented elsewhere, my original enthusiasm for the console has cooled massively. I'd originally planned to just sell it on eBay straight away and pocket the change, but made the (unwise, in hindsight) decision to put it in the Trading folder for anyone who couldn't wait. That's gone down as well as a cup of hot sick, which I probably should have anticipated, ha, and now I'm tempted to keep the bloody thing and have done with it.

I've probably asked this before, but is anyone here just using it for Steam games, without any of the tinkering? Are you actually playing games on it properly, or just endlessly sampling stuff to see what does and doesn't work? Has anyone found the novelty has worn off yet?

Anyway. People are no doubt fed up of my endless humming and hawing by now. I know I am. I can't help but over-analyse every big purchase I make.

25  hours in FH5, 22 hours in Grindstone, 12 hours in Mixolumia, 20+ hours in No Man's Sky. plus loads of other games for daily play (Spelunky, Isaac, Hades etc) all native Steam with no tinkering. Just load and play :)

The messing about is just a side thing really. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Me! Well, first of all I played through Citizen Sleeper using Xbox game streaming, but now I'm onto Dragon Quest XI straight from Steam. I'm not interested in emulation.

It's been an absolute godsend in the current weather. Playing on my desktop right now will just turn my study into a sauna, while I can play my Deck wherever I like, including outside in the shade. There's a lot to be said for being able to just pick the thing up, hit the power button and be straight back into a game where you left it.

Citizen Sleeper also highlights another benefit of the Deck for me, in that there are loads of PC games I'd love to play but are much better suited to a handheld device. It seems a bit excessive to power up my 3080 powered PC just to play a card game or something, especially with energy prices being what they are.

Finally, while it's awesome that the Deck is so versatile, the Steam integration is just a much better experience than the alternatives. You can easily sort your library to show games that are fully verified for the Deck, along with playable games with minor issues. You can even check what those minor issues are to see if they're likely to bother you. You can also guarantee that your cloud saves will work, which didn't seem to be the case for GOG Cyberpunk 2077 through Heroic.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

If you wanted to hear about people just playing Steam games on without tinkering, you wouldn't hear from them in this thread because they don't need help :lol:

I've played through a good few games to completion with very little fuss. I would question how people actually use their deck, but if it gives them enjoyment, who am I to judge them?

As a reminder: anyone buying the Steam Deck is buying a device that, for all intents and purposes, should have zero compatibility because pretty much all games are not designed to be played outside of Windows.

And, heck, look at all the discussion about digital game ownership on this forum at the moment. Ultimately, you don't technically own any of the games you buy on this device, either. And PC stuff has been part of that agreement since brick and mortar shops didn't want to flog box box games any more.

But people have still bought and played on the device. Is it out of complete idiocy? Probably. But it's also because it provides a portable platform for an ecosystem that inherently has no right to work in that way. But somehow it, uh, does.

But anyway, I'm rambling. I best crack on with work and then get on with Subsurface Circular during my lunch break.

I forgot the actual reason I came into this thread, which was that a bunch of SanDisk SD cards are on sale for Prime Day. You can get a 1TB Ultra for £88.99:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B08HCPTMJG?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_519e7676_77&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

And a 1TB Extreme Pro for £149.99:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC-Adapter-Performance/dp/B07RKL6PK9?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_519e7676_120&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Annoyingly I got a 512GB Ultra a week ago for £60. :facepalm: I haven't even had to use it yet though so I can't really justify buying anything new.

3 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Me! Well, first of all I played through Citizen Sleeper using Xbox game streaming, but now I'm onto Dragon Quest XI straight from Steam. I'm not interested in emulation.

It's been an absolute godsend in the current weather. Playing on my desktop right now will just turn my study into a sauna, while I can play my Deck wherever I like, including outside in the shade. There's a lot to be said for being able to just pick the thing up, hit the power button and be straight back into a game where you left it.

I still need to remember to do this, instead of exiting and shutting down. It won't work for online games such as FH5, but I can do it for a Tomb Raider, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I forgot that I made the fatal mistake of not lying to my wife about how much the 512 version costs, so I can't possibly keep it now.

Yeah, that's.. more of a problem than anything else you've wrote about so far :lol:

Give it a few months - with the GPU NFT Bitcoin bullshit market cooling down, there's some hope that production ramps further and you'll be able to pick one up next year.

Soooooo I was looking at some of the 'playable' games to find out the reasons they aren't 'verified' and it is mainly a text size issue* for most. That means pretty much most of the Switch library should only be considered 'playable' on the Switch... same for pretty much any handheld out there. 

If you are new to the Steam Deck, honestly don't be put off by ANY game in your library. I wish they'd change the icon for 'Playable' so it is less offputting,. Even some Kb&M games work well, as there is usually someone cleverererererer than I who has made a community profile for it. Hell you can even get a bluetooth keyboard with touchpad for ghames that might be better with those. 

*something that needs fixing industry wide and not only for handhelds, consoles, PC's too. 

Are there any recommended USB-C to HDMI adapters with extra USB ports for keyboard, mouse, etc? Ideally something that allows the Deck to lie flat, so I can connect it to the living room TV without worrying about cats tipping it over. I'm not sold on the design of the official dock, or copies.

2 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Are there any recommended USB-C to HDMI adapters with extra USB ports for keyboard, mouse, etc? Ideally something that allows the Deck to lie flat, so I can connect it to the living room TV without worrying about cats tipping it over. I'm not sold on the design of the official dock, or copies.

I have this... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BLXG7C1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Soooooo I was looking at some of the 'playable' games to find out the reasons they aren't 'verified' and it is mainly a text size issue* for most. That means pretty much most of the Switch library should only be considered 'playable' on the Switch... same for pretty much any handheld out there. 

Some reasons are even stranger. Dragon Quest XI is only "Playable" because "Entering some text requires manually invoking the on-screen keyboard". In three hours of play however, the only time I had to input text was when naming my character, which used the in-game keyboard.

I can see the reason for the differentiation between Verified and Playable though. There are so many games that work perfectly and are especially suited to the form factor that its worth splitting them off, but "Playable" games still tend to be a great experience.

7 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Some reasons are even stranger. Dragon Quest XI is only "Playable" because "Entering some text requires manually invoking the on-screen keyboard". In three hours of play however, the only time I had to input text was when naming my character, which used the in-game keyboard.

I can see the reason for the differentiation between Verified and Playable though. There are so many games that work perfectly and are especially suited to the form factor that its worth splitting them off, but "Playable" games still tend to be a great experience.

100%, still have the two options. Just that yellow warning icon needs to change, maybe to a yellow tick instead of a green tick. 

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

100%, still have the two options. Just that yellow warning icon needs to change, maybe to a yellow tick instead of a green tick. 

Totally agree, I think they are doing proton a disservice by ignoring them entirely in the main UI, and not having an option for verified and playable. 

It really is some wizardry this proton malarkey. 

1 minute ago, SuperCapes said:

Totally agree, I think they are doing proton a disservice by segregating them off entirely, and not having an option for verified and playable. 

It really is some wizardry. 

You can filter your library to just show Verified and Playable games, but there's no dedicated tab for it like the "Great on Deck" one.

Just now, Mogster said:

You can filter your library to just show Verified and Playable games, but there's no dedicated tab for it like the "Great on Deck" one.

Aye thats what I mean, it should be its own tab! I am having a blast with some of the playable only games. The ones where it is just a start up launcher and you need to mouse input to start.

VALVE! THIS IS NOSTALGIA, NOT A PROBLEM! 

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I forgot the actual reason I came into this thread, which was that a bunch of SanDisk SD cards are on sale for Prime Day. You can get a 1TB Ultra for £88.99:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B08HCPTMJG?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_519e7676_77&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC-Adapter-Performance/dp/B07RKL6PK9?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_519e7676_120&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Annoyingly I got a 512GB Ultra a week ago for £60. :facepalm: I haven't even had to use it yet though so I can't really justify buying anything new.

What’s the benefit of the pro over the regular one? Faster I guess? Is that needed?

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Daaaaaaamn, I bought a 256GB card just yesterday for just a few quid short of what they’re selling the 512 for today. Maybe I’ll just get one and squirrel it away for a rainy day (i.e. playing old games via emulation).

In terms of actually playing games from my Steam library - I own mostly FPS games and few console style games, but I have been really impressed with how it’s played my library. 

Newer stuff, though, absolutely kills the battery - I think I can get about an hour or so out if it playing Far Cry 4. Tomb Raider Underworld also drains it more than I’d like. OutRun 2 C2C is entirely acceptable and on a par with Switch. 

So yea, while it can play games like Control, it absolutely doesn’t suit the battery to do so. Fortunately it’s a very versatile system - I look forward to playing Far Cry 4 docked on my TV later, when the official dock becomes available. 

For me it’s been a hugely liberating piece of kit. It’s nice to be able to access my Steam library again. 

Just now, Strafe said:

What’s the benefit of the pro over the regular one? Faster I guess? Is that needed?

It's faster, yes. It's not "needed" though, and how much of an effect it has will depend on what you're playing. The regular Extreme seemed to be the best option for the Deck, which is positioned in between the two, but annoyingly it's not on offer. I've been informed that there is only a negligible difference between the Ultra and Extreme on the Deck in general use though, so just went for an Ultra myself.

Personally I'm using the SSD for everything at the moment, but would shunt games I'm playing less, or are simply less demanding onto the SD card. 

50 minutes ago, deKay said:

I think this means that I should be able to pay for mine on Monday.

Why? The 4 hours until your turn means 4 hours worth of orders to be processed before it's your turn.

Unless I'm missing something.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Me!

I have been playing Resident Evil 2:Remake, Rogue Legacy 2, The Messenger, Yooka Layle and Into the Breach.

All natively within Steam with zero fiddling.

Haven't so much as looked at an options menu. 

It is an amazing device.