Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I assumed it was all done with haptic feedback rather than a button of any kind.

Yep. Depending how you set up the touch pad in the controller options, the haptics will work in different ways.

You set it to a scroll wheel, you'll feel it click as you rotate your thumb. If it's a mouse, it'll generate a subtle rumble as you move your finger across it. Tell it to be a button, it'll react to button presses with a single flat click across the pad.

16 hours ago, bradigor said:

Hmmm, my AnyDesk app has stopped working on the Steam Deck for some reason. Tried removing it, retarting, shutting down. But no luck. 

Is anyone else having issues?

you could install krfb instead - https://apps.kde.org/krfb/

un-writeprotect your disk

sudo pacman -S krfb

start it up with krfb

use any vnc client to connect to your SD

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

How does it disable the touch pads? I noticed while doing some desktop configurations for button bindings that it somehow stops the right touch pad from being pressed? At first I thought it had broken as it just feels like it has collapsed or something. Does it have some kind of electronic button instead of your usual little rubber clicky things that you find under controller buttons?

I saw this happen when exiting Steam from the desktop - the touch pads work again after a few seconds but, bizarrely, left and right click switched over to the triggers. 

Which is actually not a bad config, as it means you can hold down the trigger while moving your finger on and off the touchpad, which is sometimes necessary when you want to, say, select loads of files. 

1 minute ago, Popo said:

I saw this happen when exiting Steam from the desktop - the touch pads work again after a few seconds but, bizarrely, left and right click switched over to the triggers. 

Which is actually not a bad config, as it means you can hold down the trigger while moving your finger on and off the touchpad, which is sometimes necessary when you want to, say, select loads of files. 

That is what's known as 'lizard mode' - the default input settings the hardware has without Steam's API/software driving it. The original Steam Controller does the same thing, too - it's designed to fall back on that if Steam crashes, instead of leaving you with just a controller that does fuck all.

If you like the layout, you can change the layout of what it uses in desktop mode to mimic it. I think it's in the settings of the desktop app somewhere - I did it to ensure that I had a fully mapped controller in desktop mode.

Having a Steam Deck, a library of nearly 2000 games and ADHD is not a good combination. 

Yesterday I bounced between Cyberpunk. Forza, Mixolumia, Spelunky, Dead Space and then Tomb Raider caught my eye as I scrolled my library, so started that again. 

SEND HELP!

How are you getting on with Cyberpunk? I've watched a lot of videos on it ranging from "don't bother" to "rock solid performance at 40hz". I'm not so fussed on battery drain, but it's one of the only games I've got on GOG so wondering if it's worth bothering to connect it. 

My sister dropped mine off tonight - it being a birthday present from my siblings.

I figure the time is right for a Fez replay, and after initially not recognising deck controls and requiring a restart, all runs great here. Other games have been less user-friendly. Black Mesa will take some tinkering. Tennis Elbow 4 runs well but neither the controls setup nor the real names mod carried over to the Deck install, so I need to do some tweaking there to resume my save. Aperture Desk Job was a fun diversion for an hour. Outun 2006 Coast 2 Coast runs like it always did. 

I've a 512 GB card arriving on Friday, and I've the whole day free, so I expect I'll spend some time tinkering in between bouts of Fez.

11 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

My sister dropped mine off tonight - it being a birthday present from my siblings.

I figure the time is right for a Fez replay, and after initially not recognising deck controls and requiring a restart, all runs great here. Other games have been less user-friendly. Black Mesa will take some tinkering. Tennis Elbow 4 runs well but neither the controls setup nor the real names mod carried over to the Deck install, so I need to do some tweaking there to resume my save. Aperture Desk Job was a fun diversion for an hour. Outun 2006 Coast 2 Coast runs like it always did. 

I've a 512 GB card arriving on Friday, and I've the whole day free, so I expect I'll spend some time tinkering in between bouts of Fez.

Ooooh, let me know how you get on with Tennis Elbow. 

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

First experience was it seems to run without issue, I just didn't have the patience to set up all the controls again. 

Cool. I wonder if someone has made a control profile for it already.

Sounds about right. I was at home from work when the confirmation dropped into my Steam alerts page.

Speaking of home from work, I should probably crack on with FF7R now that I've taken the afternoon off.

I was going to fuck around with downloading all the humble trove games on Windows and slapping them on something the Steam Deck can access, but it's a lot of faff in the heat. I'll just play the stuff that's on there - truly outrageous behaviour considering the average Steam Deck owner

5 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

First experience was it seems to run without issue, I just didn't have the patience to set up all the controls again. 

Tried this afternoon and it works, although getting the control methid to xbox controller was a pain. Had to switch the Deck controls so the right touchpad acted as a mouse, so I could chose the input types, then change that to xbox controller. As it wouldn't let me navigate across othereise. Very odd, but all working with that for now. 

Where would I find the real name mods?

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Gabe has to authenticate each Deck order himself. 

If I go back in it’s not in my cart, not in my orders, and just wants me to preorder another one :(

If it doesn't throw up an order confirmation soon, you can just contact support to unfuck it.

Even if you ran out the clock by accident, everyone who actually wants to buy their allocation has been able to give support a bell and get their order back to buy.

Not that it is a huge deal, but anybody else notice achievements being a bit messed up?

Playing Steam games on Steam, I find that I don't get achievements unlocking as I play, then once a day or so I will get loads unlock at once.