Jump to content
IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK


QuackQuack
 Share

Recommended Posts

The only racing games I've played on PC outside of Game Pass are old as fuck now, but Grid (the original) works well, and apparently Sonic All-Stars runs well, which was an exceptional PC port when it was put up against the 360/PS3 original versions:

 

 

The most time I've actually spent on a driving game for Deck that wasn't emulated was Blur, but that's not on Steam any more.

 

Edit: I forgot I played a fuckton of BallisticNG, that's excellent if you like OG Wipeout.

 

Having a quick look, Project Cars 2 and Automobilista 2 both work well on the deck - the former being a fiver for the deluxe edition at GamersGate (not to be confused with Gamergate)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The air and sea was probably on fire, to be fair.

 

Apparently, MultiVersus is working on the deck as long as you got the separate EAC runtime installed (it's in the tools part of your library). I'd try it, but thirty quid and several MTX on top doesn't sound like a good time.

 

Speaking of driving games earlier (and being fucking cheap in this very post), I am eyeing up that Kanjozoku Street racing game that's under a fiver at launch, mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, rumbletum said:

Anyone got any recommendations for any driving/racing games on Steam that work well on the Steam Deck? 
 

**Available via Steam, not emulated etc

Burnout Paradise City, Split Second, Mashed, Ridge Racer Unbounded all pretty much run without issue (Mashed can be a bit hit or miss).

I think Grip runs too, but I've not tried it on SD.
CDKeys tends to sell keys for these cheaper than Steam.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bignige said:

Burnout Paradise City, Split Second, Mashed, Ridge Racer Unbounded all pretty much run without issue (Mashed can be a bit hit or miss).

I think Grip runs too, but I've not tried it on SD.
CDKeys tends to sell keys for these cheaper than Steam.

 

 

ooh, Mashed is only 79p right now. It's also the original, not Fully Loaded... which has the better, more basic Polar Wharf that we played 90% of the time, and they ruined in the update. 

 

I wish I knew that before. I'd just faffed about making an ISO of the PS2 one (that was a faff to find in the first place too). Everything on the high seas was Fully Loaded too, so I'm shocked it's the original on Steam. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, bignige said:

Burnout Paradise City, Split Second, Mashed, Ridge Racer Unbounded all pretty much run without issue (Mashed can be a bit hit or miss).

I think Grip runs too, but I've not tried it on SD.
CDKeys tends to sell keys for these cheaper than Steam.

 

 

Oh! Just had a thought - is Tokyo Xtreme Racer (or any of its variants) on Steam?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

 

Oh! Just had a thought - is Tokyo Xtreme Racer (or any of its variants) on Steam?

 

There's a couple of knock-offs (such as the aforementioned Kanjozoku and Fast Beat GT), but nothing of particular quality. I think the last console versions that came out were before the PC re-re-re-renaissance that happened near the end of the 360/PS3 lifecycle that existed for a while.

 

Wangan Midnight 6 would clean up by just punting the X86 code to consoles and Steam. Shame, really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Siri said:

 

There's a couple of knock-offs (such as the aforementioned Kanjozoku and Fast Beat GT), but nothing of particular quality. I think the last console versions that came out were before the PC re-re-re-renaissance that happened near the end of the 360/PS3 lifecycle that existed for a while.

 

Wangan Midnight 6 would clean up by just punting the X86 code to consoles and Steam. Shame, really.

 

Boo. Saved me a fruitless search though, ta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose I could put a Dreamcast emu on there...

 

But, and I realise this is probably heresy, I don't really want to put any emus on there at all. I think it'll actually just cause me *not* to play with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

But, and I realise this is probably heresy, I don't really want to put any emus on there at all. I think it'll actually just cause me *not* to play with it.

 

I totally understand this - it's why I decided against it after some fiddling. I'd end up with a device with hundreds of games on it, but no direction.

 

I'll still use it for emulation, but it'll be for specific titles at the point I want to play them. I'm intending to revisit Metroid Prime at some point, and would love to give it a crack on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Well I've got 5 and I love each and every one like a son.

Yeah well I've got 4 pairs of bongos and I joyously slap each and every surface of them before tucking them in to bed for the night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bignige said:

Burnout Paradise City, Split Second, Mashed, Ridge Racer Unbounded all pretty much run without issue (Mashed can be a bit hit or miss).

I think Grip runs too, but I've not tried it on SD.
CDKeys tends to sell keys for these cheaper than Steam.

 

 

Nice one, thanks, couple there I think I'll go for

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, rumbletum said:

Anyone got any recommendations for any driving/racing games on Steam that work well on the Steam Deck? 
 

**Available via Steam, not emulated etc


I’ve tried the following with great results:
Wreckfest

Dirt 4

Dirt Rally 

F1 2018

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed

Trackmania 2 Stadium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

 

I totally understand this - it's why I decided against it after some fiddling. I'd end up with a device with hundreds of games on it, but no direction.

 

I'll still use it for emulation, but it'll be for specific titles at the point I want to play them. I'm intending to revisit Metroid Prime at some point, and would love to give it a crack on this.

 

Can recommend this. I've been playing the first game using Primehack to add dual stick support - works brilliantly and surprisingly easy to set up too. I also added gyro aiming in the Steam config editor. I think there's a few issues with Prime 3 due to it using wii motion+ but the first 2 are almost flawless on the deck and still great games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I suppose I could put a Dreamcast emu on there...

 

But, and I realise this is probably heresy, I don't really want to put any emus on there at all. I think it'll actually just cause me *not* to play with it.

 

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

 

I totally understand this - it's why I decided against it after some fiddling. I'd end up with a device with hundreds of games on it, but no direction.

 

I'll still use it for emulation, but it'll be for specific titles at the point I want to play them. I'm intending to revisit Metroid Prime at some point, and would love to give it a crack on this.

 

I honestly agree - choice paralysis is already bad enough with the Steam Library by itself, let alone with everything else you can put on the fucking thing.

 

Of course, I'm saying this after finishing Ridge Racer 7 on it. But I guess that's the thing - if you really want to play something, you probably can. It's just better not to, before you catch yourself making some bullshit that resembles a mame cabinet that will end up equally dusty after five minutes of seeing what Third Strike is like on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, deKay said:

I suppose I could put a Dreamcast emu on there...

 

But, and I realise this is probably heresy, I don't really want to put any emus on there at all. I think it'll actually just cause me *not* to play with it.

 

That's exactly what will happen. I've just finished getting a load of emulators and games working just so, patted myself on the back, and now I can't be arsed to pick a game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AlexM said:


I’ve tried the following with great results:
Wreckfest

Dirt 4

Dirt Rally 

F1 2018

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed

Trackmania 2 Stadium

 

I've not tried TM2S yet due to my memory of our being a lot of messing to find servers to play on. 

 

Does that all work well too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been trying to stave that feeling of choice paralysis now by mostly sticking to games I have never played before, so my current plans are:

 

- unplayed and new Steam games

- Fan Translation projects like Mizzurna Falls and Racing Lagoon

- The entire Saturn libr-oh for fuck's sake

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Siri said:

I've been trying to stave that feeling of choice paralysis now by mostly sticking to games I have never played before, so my current plans are:

 

- unplayed and new Steam games

- Fan Translation projects like Mizzurna Falls and Racing Lagoon

- The entire Saturn libr-oh for fuck's sake

 

Aside from stuff for MHG I have picked two games to run side by side. 

 

At the moment it is 

 

Forza Horizon 5 + another game. 

 

Tomb Raider 2013 (current)

Then:

Endling 

As Dusk Falls 

Fix Fox 

 

It's allowed me to keep focus which is hard usually.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Siri said:

I've been trying to stave that feeling of choice paralysis now by mostly sticking to games I have never played before, so my current plans are:

 

- unplayed and new Steam games

- Fan Translation projects like Mizzurna Falls and Racing Lagoon

- The entire Saturn libr-oh for fuck's sake

 

Can I ask what is your preferred way of doing Saturn emulation?  I've done all the Emudeck setup, which uses the Yabuse core of Retroarch, but that one has compatibility issues with loads of games.

 

If there was a way of changing the default core to Beetle then I think you'd have the ideal setup, but I haven't been able to figure that one out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Popo said:

 

Can I ask what is your preferred way of doing Saturn emulation?  I've done all the Emudeck setup, which uses the Yabuse core of Retroarch, but that one has compatibility issues with loads of games.

 

If there was a way of changing the default core to Beetle then I think you'd have the ideal setup, but I haven't been able to figure that one out.

 

I think that's what I done, basically - I pushed all my Emudeck emulation stuff bar RPCS3 through Emulation Station, and that had the option to force certain cores on games that you play without faffing with Retroarch. If something didn't work with Yabause, I'd force Beetle, and job done.

 

It also means all the games I do have emulated are neatly tucked under one non-steam shortcut. Every option bar Emulation Station is unticked in my Steam ROM manager setup, because it wasn't skimming my RPCS3 games properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Danster said:

It's just turned up!! No change on GLS tracking, but here it is :)

 

 

Odd - normally when it's in the hands of Parcelforce, you get hammered with email and mobile phone messages. Guess something's up.

 

Like Brexit, or fire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.