IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I get mine out anywhere really. Not fussed about who sees it. Just that I can get my hands on it and play with it. Coffee shops, bus, sofa, hospital waiting rooms. Anywhere.

47 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I have sent my Steam Deck and it’s faulty R1 button back to Valve. I pray for it’s (or more likely it’s replacement) safe journey back into my arms.

1 like = 1 prayer

Spoiler

IMG_20220801_151851.thumb.jpg.e6f7c67b3102200505e2ac9ffe470253.jpg

I tried, honest!

As for actual deck use while traveling, I'm kind of stuffed where I work - it's a ten minute walk, twenty minute train ride, a five minute walk, a ten minute bus ride and a five minute walk to get there, and then whatever waiting time spent outside. Just enough breaks to make it a complete fucking faff.

I'd rather take the half hour drive and play it during lunch and home. Our, uh, get a job elsewhere.

Edit: I should mention I feel the same way about the switch. It's just unwieldy to repeatedly pull out of a bag - the vita and 3DS was the last frontier for that sort of thing.

5 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I get mine out anywhere really. Not fussed about who sees it. Just that I can get my hands on it and play with it. Coffee shops, bus, sofa, hospital waiting rooms. Anywhere.

Not fussed about who’ll see it. Just feels too unwieldy for cramped commuting. The switch feels tiny in comparison although the size difference isn’t that much. 

10 minutes ago, Siri said:

Hide contents

IMG_20220801_151851.thumb.jpg.e6f7c67b3102200505e2ac9ffe470253.jpg

I tried, honest!

As for actual deck use while traveling, I'm kind of stuffed where I work - it's a ten minute walk, twenty minute train ride, a five minute walk, a ten minute bus ride and a five minute walk to get there, and then whatever waiting time spent outside. Just enough breaks to make it a complete fucking faff.

I'd rather take the half hour drive and play it during lunch and home. Our, uh, get a job elsewhere.

An RG351V would be perfect for that commute. Or Slay the Spire on mobile. 

6 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Not fussed about who’ll see it. Just feels too unwieldy for cramped commuting. The switch feels tiny in comparison although the size difference isn’t that much. 

I can't use a Switch any more. Feels too lightweight.

I struggled playing the switch in handheld for more than 10 mins. It's ergonomically terrible for my big hands. The steam deck is a joy in my hands. 

Also, valve. Where is my fucking email!?

Dumb question alert. I downloaded Outrun C2C over the weekend but not sure how to get it running.

I extracted the iso, added setup.exe as a non-steam game and the installation seemed to complete OK using proton experimental but I've no idea where it's installed to drop the no CD file. Anyone know the default installation folder on the deck or if this is even the right way to do it?

2 minutes ago, flight said:

Dumb question alert. I downloaded Outrun C2C over the weekend but not sure how to get it running.

I extracted the iso, added setup.exe as a non-steam game and the installation seemed to complete OK using proton experimental but I've no idea where it's installed to drop the no CD file. Anyone know the default installation folder on the deck or if this is even the right way to do it?

The installed files will be in amongst your Proton files, known as 'compatdata' where Steam is installed on the deck. As it's a non-Steam game, it generates a folder and stuffs a typical Windows file structure in there (which is part of what wine, one of the things that Proton is comprised of, does).

Can't exactly recall where, I can have a look when I'm home.

Plugged my Deck into a monitor today. Desktop mode doesn’t have any UI though - just what’s on the right-click menu. No bar on the bottom, icons on the desktop, or “start” button.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Plugged my Deck into a monitor today. Desktop mode doesn’t have any UI though - just what’s on the right-click menu. No bar on the bottom, icons on the desktop, or “start” button.

Eh? Stop breaking things Dekay!

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Eh? Stop breaking things Dekay!

I didn’t do anything but plug it in and boot to desktop mode!

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

I didn’t do anything but plug it in and boot to desktop mode!

Is it just overscan? Able to send a photo of the problem?

Is this your issue?

33 minutes ago, Siri said:

The installed files will be in amongst your Proton files, known as 'compatdata' where Steam is installed on the deck. As it's a non-Steam game, it generates a folder and stuffs a typical Windows file structure in there (which is part of what wine, one of the things that Proton is comprised of, does).

Can't exactly recall where, I can have a look when I'm home.

Thanks - that did the trick.

The official guide for adding Game Pass has you adding this to the launch options:

--window-size=1024,640 --force-device

And later on a scale factor of 1.25. Does this mean it’s streaming at 1024x640 and upscaling? If so, any reason you can’t just do 1280x800 with a scale factor of 1?

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Is it just overscan? Able to send a photo of the problem?

Is this your issue?

Can’t now, but I don’t think it was overscan as I couldn’t move the mouse off the screen. I also didn’t have anything on the Deck screen - just the monitor. As soon as I plug the monitor in, Deck screen goes black.

26 minutes ago, deKay said:

Can’t now, but I don’t think it was overscan as I couldn’t move the mouse off the screen. I also didn’t have anything on the Deck screen - just the monitor. As soon as I plug the monitor in, Deck screen goes black.

Hmmm, not too sure then/. 

My email arrived. 

Looking forward to getting another Vampire Survivors machine. 😆

How long did it take to arrive with you guys after purchase?

(And then selling it a month later)

Got my email, tried to buy it, got stuck on the page for 5+ minutes when I hit purchase, tried to re-purchase, lopped into an endless cycle of Steam taking me back to the "Reserve a Steam Deck" page, purchase has disappeared from my purchase history, absolute shambles.

Also got my email and ordered without problems. Quite excited. Haven't been into PC gaming for decades. Guess I'll have to dust off my autoexec.bat skills!

57 minutes ago, Ry said:

My email arrived. 

Looking forward to getting another Vampire Survivors machine. 😆

How long did it take to arrive with you guys after purchase?

(And then selling it a month later)

Exactly a week after payment for me. Monday to Monday. 

I need to transfer my old steam deck ROM files from a 256gb card to a new 512gb one I got. Also looking for a method to play games on my TV at 60fps at 1080p or below. 

Do you think this will do the job?

USB C to HDMI Adapter, 6 IN 1 MacBook Pro Adapter USB C Hub 4K@60Hz for MacBook Pro 2020-2016, MacBook Air 2020-2018, Ipad Pro 2020, Surface Pro 7, Dell XPS, USB C to 4K HDMI, SD/TF and 3 USB

https://amzn.eu/3nR3IjL

A16A311A-733F-4576-98FC-CBA2BDB7FB61.thumb.jpeg.2e1ec6b4f3cec5ae5b7e45f64dbeac50.jpeg

I was starting to feel a little bit like the Steam Deck might not be for me, but loading the PC version of Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast has rekindled my faith :wub:

As ever, there was a lot of fucking about to get it working, but now it’s on there it’s ready to play from Steam whenever I fancy.

It does feel something that’ll be an absolutely essential piece of kit in a few years, once it has the OLED upgrade it so desperately needs, all new games have some kind of Deck mode ready, and there are official and non-hacky solutions to Game Pass/Remote Play etc. But they’ve got to start somewhere, and the community and buzz around it is great.

Oh, just to note, the sticks feel fucking fantastic. Like super accurate. Maybe the position helps too.

Quick question re: installing a blag Outrun. Once it’s installed to compatdata in a weirdly named folder, I can copy that folder to somewhere more handy, right, then add the game to Steam from there?

EDIT: Yep, just tried that and it works. I’ve put it in deck/Games, renamed it, and I can backup the folder somewhere now too.

1. Switch to Desktop mode

2. Extract ISO to folder (if you don’t have an ISO, skip to 3)

3. Steam > Add Game > Browse > File type ‘All Files’ > browse for the Outrun folder and select setup.exe > Open > Add Selected Programs

4. Find setup.exe in your Steam library > right-click > Properties > Compatibility > Force > Proton 7.0-3 (people say use experimental but this is the only one that worked for me)

5. Run the setup and install

6. Go to /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/ and open the latest folder (it’ll have loads of numbers as the name)

7. Inside this go to pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Sega/Outrun/ and copy the nocd OR2006C2C.exe here and replace the current one

8. Add a game to Steam again and add the config.exe from that same folder and run, select 1280x800 resolution

9. Add a game to Steam again and add the new OR2006C2C.exe from that same folder

10. Set the compatibility to Proton 7.0-3 on that one too

11. Blue skies

You can also do this to restore lens flare:

1. Go to <path-to-game>\Media folder.

2. Look for the lens_flare_offset.bin file and copy it.

3. Paste this file into the <path-to-game>\Common folder.

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Do I need an SD card if I want to install just one ROM at a time? I don't want hundreds of games I'll just flit between.

No but you'll have to install all the emulators as well. I would just bite the bullet on an SD card. 

Incidentally if anyone has a nice ROM dump without millions of Japanese untranslated games, junky PAL roms or weird Mario romhacks please don't PM me a link because that would be ILLEGAL.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK