Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Managed to buy one of these after many frustrating attempts where the steam checkout page just got stuck on "working." 

Roughly how long do they take to arrive? Also, I put my reservation in for my brother, who obviously has his own steam account, but on the checkout page it said I had no gifting options and the account mentioned is my own. Do they come associated with an account already or will I be able to set it up fresh with his account?

1 week for me from purchasing on a Monday. Arrived following Monday. 

Thanks, chaps. Last boring questions - is there any way to lock or password protect the settings. Like if I wanted someone to not be able to change the language of the deck or muck with various other settings, is there any way to do that? Sort of like Windows Group Policies or anything similar.

And what's the current state of Windows/Game pass on Steam Deck? It's a 64GB model I've bought, in case that matters.

26 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Thanks, chaps. Last boring questions - is there any way to lock or password protect the settings. Like if I wanted someone to not be able to change the language of the deck or muck with various other settings, is there any way to do that? Sort of like Windows Group Policies or anything similar.

And what's the current state of Windows/Game pass on Steam Deck? It's a 64GB model I've bought, in case that matters.

You can set a pin lock on the unit, but not on functions further down the chain, as far as I can tell. 

Gamepass works great - Microsoft have even published a setup guide!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

6 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Finally got around to installing EmuDeck but I can't find a way to access the emulation options when I'm in a game. I assumed it would be L3+R3 but that does nothing.

What am I missing

It depends on the system being emulated. PCSX2 standalone for example has no default shortcut. 

Emudecks website has a cheat sheet for hotkeys 

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

It depends on the system being emulated. PCSX2 standalone for example has no default shortcut. 

Emudecks website has a cheat sheet for hotkeys 

Ok, I had the correct hotkeys for PSX as that's running under RetroArch but they still don't do anything!

What are the best video settings for Dreamcast in EmulationStation/RetroArch? I just can’t find anything that makes it look good. The scaling is horrible:

B8C0DDD9-A53B-4DAA-B120-3F9677477A07.thumb.jpeg.f152dce6b0758295b3d259fdcc5a3d8d.jpeg

Before I updated EmuDeck I could set integer scaling on and set the res to 640x480 and it looked good, a little soft as you’d expect, but without these horrible scaling artefacts.

12 hours ago, Popo said:

You can set a pin lock on the unit, but not on functions further down the chain, as far as I can tell. 

Gamepass works great - Microsoft have even published a setup guide!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

Oh, I didn’t realise this was for Xcloud. I was hoping to put Windows on and play stuff natively. Will have a look - I’m sure there’s loads of YouTube videos on it. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Oh, I didn’t realise this was for Xcloud. I was hoping to put Windows on and play stuff natively. Will have a look - I’m sure there’s loads of YouTube videos on it. 

Oops, sorry! Yes that guide is to get streaming up and running - I haven’t experimented with installing Windows yet. 

3 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Morning all – what's the name of the app I need to configure controls for any game or did I dream such a thing existed?

It's built in. Once in game you can press the Steam button and then go to controller options and edit to your heart's content.

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

It's built in. Once in game you can press the Steam button and then go to controller options and edit to your heart's content.

A mate of mine is trying to get Daytona 3 Arcade working and the inbuilt system isn't allowing him to reconfigure controls apparently. If anyone would know of a way to force configure it, please let me know! :) 

On 11/08/2022 at 19:52, Siri said:

No worries @bradigor, take care as best you can if something's up.

An update about Arcade Paradise - it runs really well, but the aspect ratio lops off the top and bottom half of the screen, even with the game only recognising 720p. It's playable, but very annoying. I'm going to try and force a resolution so it tries to display it correctly before the Devs patch it (they're aware), see if that makes it behave.

Is this fixed yet? I see it's marked as Verified now.

24 minutes ago, SMD said:

not even sega got daytona 3 working

Alright, Daytona Championship whatever

Exit: that wasn’t meant to come across as aggressive but reading it does seem that way. Sorry.

The video he linked me had Daytona 3 in brackets and he keeps referring to it as such. 

27 minutes ago, Giddas said:

Is this fixed yet? I see it's marked as Verified now.

I didn't check yesterday, but from looking at Steam discussions, they're still working on it according to a post 23 hours ago. I have no fucking clue why Valve are verifying it when the fucking title credits are lopped off in the first screen.

I've got most of the text working (not all, but pretty much all the important text is sorted) by fucking about, as originally mentioned.

I ended up forcing the resolution to 1920 x 1080 in SteamOS's game options, and then in the game itself, I set the resolution to 1680 x 1050. I'm not sure why that combination works, but it does well enough that I played it for another 7-ish hours!

Edit: or this from Proton DB:

For a full screen experience, use a 16:10 resolution like 1440x900 and scale the resolution down to 1280x800 (-> 89%) by using the build-in resolution scaler of the game. If you use the standard 16:9 resolution of 1280x720, the text will be cut off.

56 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

A mate of mine is trying to get Daytona 3 Arcade working and the inbuilt system isn't allowing him to reconfigure controls apparently. If anyone would know of a way to force configure it, please let me know! :) 

Is this running in the Model3 emulator? 

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Is this running in the Model3 emulator? 

Daytona USA 3 is actually an arcade game running on PC hardware, it's only a few years old and if you've got any arcades nearby there's a slim chance you can find one of these cabs.

Here's a totally unrelated thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/daytona-usa-3-arcade-can-run-on-any-old-pc-now.13297/

Birthday today and steam deck finally unwrapped 😉

It’s installing ALL THE SOULS GAMES obvs but any recommendations for anything that you consider essential playing is much appreciated!!!! 

thanks