Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I'm guessing there's something in the settings that can lock the aspect ratio to a linear amount. I haven't fucked with any DS emulation, though, so I wouldn't know where that exactly is.

How's the performance? I'm guessing it can brute force most 3D stuff from that handheld these days.

Yeah, that was indeed before I messed around with the settings. Have an issue where I can’t save Retroarch configs, and I need to close the content, load the core manually, change the settings, and then save. Pain in the arse. At least I’d only need to do it once tbf.

14 hours ago, Siri said:

There's some chat about it on other websites like here, but TBH I found XBox series controllers basically eat shit over Bluetooth, even on Windows computers.

PS4 controllers seem to work better on Linux via Bluetooth, and are fucking awful via Windows. The only controllers I found that work right are non-affiliated controllers, like ones made by 8bitdo.

13 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I have a wired 360 controller, PS4/5 and also willing to buy an 8bitdo as they have the physical Switch to change input per platform. 

Thanks all.

I shall just add that the 8bitdo Pro 2 is absolutely tremendous! Maybe the best controller out there with only the Dual Sense giving it a run for its money. 

(imo, the Xbox series controllers are nice but each one I’ve had has had fit & finish issues, grindy sticks and buttons etc.) 

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I shall just add that the 8bitdo Pro 2 is absolutely tremendous! Maybe the best controller out there with only the Dual Sense giving it a run for its money. 

(imo, the Xbox series controllers are nice but each one I’ve had has had fit & finish issues, grindy sticks and buttons etc.) 

Yeah, I've only got the original Pro and the SN30/M30, but they've all been great controllers to just connect to Bluetooth and get on with it.

I like the Series pads (although they do feel weird after using the Steam Deck sticks), but they really need the wireless adapter to get great performance out of them on a computer, and that itself doesn't play nice with Linux outside of config tomfoolery.

27 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Yeah, that was indeed before I messed around with the settings.

Thank christ. That sort of thing - just *knowing* someone is playing a game that's badly scaled or the wrong aspect ratio genuinely keeps me awake at night.

22 hours ago, Paulando said:

Would love to get Wario Ware Twisted working with the gyro though!

😮 Would that even be possible?

I've just performed an Emergency Google which suggested nobody's got it working at the moment. Might give it a try this weekend anyway!

2 minutes ago, mr twig said:

😮 Would that even be possible?

I've just performed an Emergency Google which suggested nobody's got it working at the moment. Might give it a try this weekend anyway!

Apparently it works on Android phones, but I couldn’t get to work in RetroArch on the Deck. Sure there will be a way though, perhaps with a standalone emu?

6 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Anyone had any luck yet with the leaked Goldeneye XBLA on SD? Does this run on Windows only?

I didn't have much joy trying to get Xenia (the emulator for 360 stuff) to do anything, unfortunately, even with forcing the Vulkan rendering the emulator has. I'm guessing we'd have to wait for the native Linux version, unfortunately. It should be happening, but sometime at the end of the year.

I'm starting to regret my purchase. 

After tinkering with it and getting every game I want on it, I can't be arsed playing anything. On console either really. 

I have took a break from gaming thinking my passion might reignite, but it hasnt. 

7 minutes ago, Ry said:

After tinkering with it and getting every game I want on it, I can't be arsed playing anything. On console either really. 

I have took a break from gaming thinking my passion might reignite, but it hasnt. 

Forcing yourself to enjoy a hobby is like forcing yourself to take a shit (or piss, hur hur funny joke).

It doesn't work, and you'll burst a blood vessel doing it. s'alright, just come back when you feel the need.

12 minutes ago, Ry said:

PM incoming. 🤣

10 minutes ago, Ry said:

After tinkering with it and getting every game I want on it, I can't be arsed playing anything.

I find that's all too common with me, so I don't bother tinkering with it and getting everything I want on it.

Pick one game that you'd like to play on a handheld, and stick with it. Remove everything else. Choice is a distraction.

If you still don't have the inclination to play that one single game, then there's nothing short term that's going to change that, and you may as well cash in on your Deck.

This was the issue I used to have in the PSP days. I loved to hack the system and install everythign under the sun, then go find all of the best pirated games I could and install all of them.

Then I wouldn't play anything because why the fuck bother? Didn't cost me anything to download them. Why invest time on something I put on for free when there's thousands of other games I can get for free etc.

20 minutes ago, Ry said:

:lol:

I was like this after a bit, then the feeling passed and I just got on with playing games.

One tip is to hide games in Steam, which then hides them from the gaming view, so you’re not overwhelmed. Leave a couple on there that you actually fancy playing. If you ever feel like playing one of the hidden games it isn’t too hard to switch to desktop and unhide them with no additional tinkering required.

Just a note for anyone with a new steam deck and ramming it full of dark souls games..:

1,2 and 3 are currently offline only due to a remote code execution exploit , has been the case for a while. Apparently due to be fixed soon…

35 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I didn't get any detailed updates for my shipment. I was seemingly stuck in the Netherlands the entire time but it turned up in 6 days.

Cheers Lyrical, maybe that’s what’s happening with me. Money’s been taken so all should be good. 

4 hours ago, T Pot said:

I've just got my order email from valve. I pre-ordered in October last year so they are smashing through them now! 73% jump.according to get my deck.

Not really too surprising I guess.

They will have had the initial clamour for orders and then a tail of drip feed since. So once they get passed the initial hours and days it'll cruise along quickly. It seems unlikely there's suddenly some day in November where lots of people ordered on.

I think the next slow down might be for pre-orders that coincide with the release of hardware reviews and first consumer impressions. I didn't place my order until that point. I wish I'd caved earlier but after the fiasco that was Steam Machines I didn't trust Valve.

Although now I'm nervous that we'll see a better version in a year or two and I might as well wait again 🤣

This is for my May order of a 512Gb. Over the last few weeks it's been increasing. And then this a jump of 29 days through the queue from Monday to Thursday. So that's basically a month of orders in one tranche.

1183081179_Screenshot_20220818-2209292.thumb.png.d51b4b2c2a6e85a381adf03fce051ef1.png

9 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Although now I'm nervous that we'll see a better version in a year or two and I might as well wait again 🤣

I can probably see a revised unit turning up in a couple of years.

But ultimately, that doesn't really mean a Steam Deck is obsolete.. well, ever really. Even if you get tired of the thousands of games that are already playable, there's still going to be all the new, low end games that PC is actually known for. And if there is something that's beyond the hardware's capability, it's likely it can be streamed from somewhere.

There's a reason people were still having a blast with the OG GPD Win even when it was running a dogshit Intel Atom processor. Hell, if I wasn't so broke in 2016, I would have copped one for portable UT99.

12 minutes ago, Siri said:

But ultimately, that doesn't really mean a Steam Deck is obsolete.. well, ever really. Even if you get tired of the thousands of games that are already playable, there's still going to be all the new, low end games that PC is actually known for.

Yeah, very much this. There’s definitely scope for a better screen (OLED) and to make it a bit smaller, but until there’s one that can emulate 360 and PS3 flawlessly I don’t think I’ll be desperate for more power any time soon.

Right so got this on order now.

Please recommend interesting PC only games from the last 10 years or so I should play that work well with this thing.

Also during lockdown I got that stupid 1000 game Itch bundle. How easy is it to get those games onto the steam deck?

10 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Right so got this on order now.

Please recommend interesting PC only games from the last 10 years or so I should play that work well with this thing.

Also during lockdown I got that stupid 1000 game Itch bundle. How easy is it to get those games onto the steam deck?

I'm gonna do it

I'm gonna link a dissertation on exactly all the shit you mentioned

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHH

(Ps. The stupid 1000 game bundle is also stupid because it only activates the games when you look at them on the website, so they don't even hook into the official app until you do that. Anyway, after that, you can just download the game and add it as you would any other non-Steam game)

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK