Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

3 hours ago, Siri said:

I can probably see a revised unit turning up in a couple of years.

But ultimately, that doesn't really mean a Steam Deck is obsolete.. well, ever really. Even if you get tired of the thousands of games that are already playable, there's still going to be all the new, low end games that PC is actually known for. And if there is something that's beyond the hardware's capability, it's likely it can be streamed from somewhere.

There's a reason people were still having a blast with the OG GPD Win even when it was running a dogshit Intel Atom processor. Hell, if I wasn't so broke in 2016, I would have copped one for portable UT99.

Oh it's completely tongue in cheek. I'm of course buying it when offered. And next time I'll know to just jump in the first minutes for minor upgrades.

3 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Please recommend interesting PC only games from the last 10 years or so I should play that work well with this thing.

Anarcute.

3 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Also during lockdown I got that stupid 1000 game Itch bundle. How easy is it to get those games onto the steam deck?

Pretty easy if they're Linux games - you can install the Itch client in desktop mode, install the games, then add them as non-steam games.

12 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

....aaaaand it's verified.  WIth cloud saves, yay!  

It's fucking great too. Incredible really, considering it's a solo dev.  Thoroughly recommended.  

Can you tell me if there are any accessibility options for sight? Mainly for the UI. 

5 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Oh it's completely tongue in cheek. I'm of course buying it when offered. And next time I'll know to just jump in the first minutes for minor upgrades.

That's alright - It's a valid concern held by some, all the same. A lot of people on the outside looking in when it comes to the PC market only see graphics cards worth thousands of pounds and Crysis benchmarks, and are worried that the deck won't handle the big grafix in a few years.

Well, frankly, it probably won't. But I don't think a lot of the same people realise that, as a general collective, we're all just playing Vampire Survivors, or whatever is the rage before it got a port (Hades, FTL, Disco Elysium, Valheim, Path of Exile, Warframe, Omori, etc). And from that point, whatever comes next from a few good group of people with a wild idea.

And that future is far more exciting than pushing graphics and world density which are subjected to focus groups due to the budgets required to maintain the status quo.

On the other hand: I recommended Space Funeral to people, so I'm probably mental

20 hours ago, bradigor said:

Can you tell me if there are any accessibility options for sight? Mainly for the UI. 

I just checked on desktop and I'm afraid not.  Only options are UI wide or standard.  Nothing for increasing text size.  It's pretty small text on Deck...

Dev is very active though so I have posted asking if there are plans for UI text size options in the Steam discussions and will see what the response is.  

However (and I didn't know this until I just loaded it up on Deck to check again) there is a magnifier tool built into the OS.  This screen popped up after I loaded it, which I had never seen before!  Don't know if you were aware, but handy and would help a bit in this case.   It zooms in I would guess...150%.  Not perfect, but better.

Untitled.thumb.png.9c0383c4e2f028c4f6570b423b6477e5.png

Thanks @Mitchell. I do use the magnifier, but it isn't a nice solution, just something better than nothing. 

I want to see UI scaling, font scaling and dark UI options as standard in all games. Plus the amazing high contrast mode from Spider-Man 

Why can't I see any community controller configs? Just followed the Goldeneye tutorial and in my case there are none (afair this hasn't been the first time I struggle with this) :(

edit: I misspelled GoldenEye... so that's that :D:D

Don't get too excited about the below yet - Xenia still requires Windows to run, as mentioned in the video.

Alright? alright. MVG had another look at Xenia - a big update happened on Canary which has seen some big gains in performance.

Seeing RDR1 run in any capacity is pretty great, as is a pretty stable Forza Horizon 2. Hopefully even with relying on DX12, D3D12 will parse it properly.

1 minute ago, alex3d said:

Why can't I see any community controller configs? Just followed the Goldeneye tutorial and in my case there are none :(

The only time I've had community configs come up on a non-Steam game is from getting the name of it on SteamOS exactly right, including case formatting, if that helps. It's kind of a crap shoot in my experience, though.

I've had my Steam Deck for a few weeks now, and feel qualified, neigh, compelled to express some thoughts on it.

I have been a console gamer for pretty much the last 20 years. I just dig the accessible simplicity of it and much prefer couch gaming to hunching over a desk. But, somehow, I've also managed to amass about 500 Steam games in my library, mostly through Humble Bundles or giveaways. I hoarded them hoping that one day I might get a chance to use them. Prescient, as it turns out..

So when I first turned on my Steam Deck, I was greeted with page after page of games I barely recognised and plenty that I'd always wanted to play, but never got the chance. Not a terrible way to start a new platform journey! Most interestingly, I have games from the last time I was an actual PC gamer - like Half Life 2 (which I seem to remember Steam was launched in 2004 specifically to deliver). It's almost like the Steam Deck is a retro console and a current console all in one!

Now, my first instinct was to go hog-wild and install every game I could, every emulator I could, every game store I could, by whatever means necessary. But I soon backed off from that (after installing Outrun 2, natch). For me, personally, there's more than enough to occupy me in my Steam store games - and probably more than enough in the "Great on Steam Deck" section, so why rush into overloading it?

Sure, it might be great to have a catalogue of Dreamcast, PS2, GC, PSP games, as well as Epic, GoG, Origin etc, etc. But I know from bitter experience that when I have everything to play, I play nothing. Paralysis of choice is a real and horrible first world problem to have.

So I'm sticking with Steam for now. Not only that, I'm limiting what I install... just a few games, ones I'm currently playing or want to play. I basically want to see two or three options when I boot it up.

And what are these games, and how do they play?

Hades - pretty much the perfect game for the SD. They should include it as a pack in. It's quick, accessible, looks and runs great with no modifications at all. I love it!

Witcher 3 - this is an example of a game where you can spend as much time tinkering with settings as actually playing the game. Which is fine, it is a PC after all. Runs absolutely fine.

Lord of the Rings Online - I've been playing around with this specifically as a vehicle to get used to configuring Steam Input. If you can make an MMO work with the SD, then you could pretty much make anything work. And, for the most part, you can! It works surprisingly well.

Other stuff...

I've had no issues with compatibility. Like none. Everything I've tried has worked, even if some are marked unplayable. In fact, the "unplayable" status seems to refer more to having to use the touch keyboard or trackpad or size of text. Nothing has straight up refused to run. I constantly marvel at this - it's Linux, for goodness sake! For decades, it felt like all you could play on it was Tux Racer!

I've split my play evenly between handheld and "docked". Handheld works great; docked... isn't quite perfect. Oh, it'll spit out to the TV fine, but I've noticed the odd issue here and there  that you don't get when docking a Switch, for example. Rumble on the Xbox pad sometimes stays on; sound will cut out for a few seconds at a time; controller lost connection once or twice. Some of these issues may be due to my setup though, and they've been thankfully rare. I'm hoping they do some quality of life improvements to docked mode when they launch their own dock.

Quick observations: I found setup and updates to be simple. I've had very little need to drop into desktop mode (though I am happy I can). I've only had to open a terminal once! I find the build quality and finish to be excellent, and the controls to be comfortable and responsive. The screen is fine, the sound is great. It's amazing that they included a case with it! The creepy vibration when you use the trackpad is unnerving. I'm baffled that Steam Input has been around for 7 years, but nobody seems to mention it... it's EXCELLENT!

All in all, I kinda love the SD. It makes me want to get a small form factor SteamOS machine for under the TV...

29 minutes ago, T Pot said:

How long did it take for your systems to ship? I put my order in on Thursday and it's still sat as Shipping Soon.

A week.

In other news: Without going too much into it until I've got the time to sit down and write about it, I did get Xenia running on SteamOS.

It's.. not very good, though. It ran Goldeneye, but there was a lot of graphical errors, including the pause menu not displaying when you press the start button, so bond really is just checking his watch :lol:

The Vulkan backend is being entirely rewritten to bring it to parity with D3D12, which is partly why the Linux version is taking so long - the other part is that it's intended to be suitable enough that phones can run it, so the guy doing it is doing a lot of nipping and tucking.

2 minutes ago, T Pot said:

To move to shipping or to actually get it?

From payment to it being in my hands, if I recall. Although that was when the allocations happened on Monday, so there was a full week before Parcelforce got a hold of it to deliver on Monday.

The 'shipping soon' can be disregarded as soon as you're issued a tracking number. I think it stays like that until it's in UK delivery hands.

8 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Mine arrived today. Thursday-Today. GLS tracking is useless.

That's frustrating. My bank still has a pending charge & on Steam it just says shipping soon.

17 minutes ago, Siri said:

The Vulkan backend is being entirely rewritten to bring it to parity with D3D12, which is partly why the Linux version is taking so long - the other part is that it's intended to be suitable enough that phones can run it, so the guy doing it is doing a lot of nipping and tucking.

Has this been spurred on by the release of the Deck?

Whether it is or not, one really amazing thing with the Deck, compared to a lot of other handhelds available at the moment, is the huge, huge community support it’s receiving, and will continue to receive for some time.

EmuDeck for example, it’s ace but still feels a little janky, but they keep adding features and tidying it up, and it’s only a matter of time til it’s perfect. It’s super exciting.

35 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Has this been spurred on by the release of the Deck?

I think it's less about the Deck and more about Vulkan being a cross-platform thing overall - with phones getting more powerful, things like AetherPCSX2 are making hobbyists consider using Vulkan so apps can be run on all sorts of shit, bit like the hayday of OpenGL.

I'd say this is all a symptom of Vulkan, ultimately - Vulkan powers DXVK and other translation layer initiatives, DXVK (partially) powers Proton, Proton powers games on Linux (either by standalone Wine, Lutris, Bottles or Steam), and Games on Linux powers the Steam Deck to do what it does.

As @Dr_Dave said, I remember a time when all Linux had was some knock-off Tetris clones on any Live CD you got in the 90s. Seeing DXVK run a Windows Native version of Tomb Raider 2013 faster than Windows itself a couple of years back was, frankly, absolutely fucking mental.

Valve has had a part to play to accept that into the world's largest PC game storefront, of course, but there's definitely more at hand. There's a lot of people to thank.

2 hours ago, T Pot said:

How long did it take for your systems to ship? I put my order in on Thursday and it's still sat as Shipping Soon.

I ordered mine (256GB) on Monday night and it didn’t change from shipping soon until Friday when I got the email from Steam. 
It’s currently in Holland, hoping for delivery soon. 

41 minutes ago, robotattack said:

Which model did you get?

I don't think it matters to much when it comes to shipping as much as location (UK, because of EU/UK customs regs), but I got a 256.

I like it, it's enough to have a big game or two on it and the SD card picks up the slack. I think I'd pick up a 64gb in hindsight as 2TB 2230 drives are coming through and I'm not against opening it up to change shit, but OTOH it's about the same price for the drive as it is the entire handheld, so not yet!

Wooooooo! Ordered on October 11th last year and just got my email. Can not wait!

New gadget time is the best time. Now I just need to amass a ridiculous pile of shame so that I can fit in with the rest of the PC master race.

13 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

Wooooooo! Ordered on October 11th last year and just got my email. Can not wait!

New gadget time is the best time. Now I just need to amass a ridiculous pile of shame so that I can fit in with the rest of the PC master race.

Thing with Steam is it generates its own pile of shame passively.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK