Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

January 11th order and got the email tonight. Paid straightaway and just ordered the Benzacap screen protectors which seem to be the best ones according to general consensus

33 more days of the UK 512Gb queue processed since Thursday. So 2 months of orders in a week, which is approximately two thirds of the total elapsed time progress (92 days) has happened in that week.

Long may it continue and even those idiots of us who didn't order until May will have them in the next month or so.

Protonup-QT is pretty good, Probably the first thing you want to install if you want to start fucking around with unsupported games.

It's not a silver bullet, though - some FMVs will still shit the bed on the latest ProtonGE acquired by Protonup-QT, and for games like that you'll have to delve into multiple versions (or find a record of someone who has already done the leg work, like what happened with Blur).

Anyway. I've been fucking around with more games with Path of Exile going south.

Pony Island's alright for lunchtime jaunts, if a little fiddly. I've also been playing One Bit Adventure - it's really fun for a free android game, reminds me a little of Desktop Dungeons (which I was a big fan of, and.. actually, shit, I think I have the revamped version in my Steam library). And it works pretty neatly with WASD on d-pad and doing inventory stuff with the mouse.

I would like some Diablo action though, so I'll probably take a look into DevilutionX - essentially an engine for Diablo 1 that also puts in pad controls and other QOL shit.

My Steam Deck has returned! Good news and bad news.

Bad news:

It hasn’t save per game performance profiles in the cloud. Fortunately a lot of settings are done within the game so could be worse but refresh and fps settings need to be done again.

It hasn’t saved per game controller set ups in the cloud, either. Presumably these settings are on the console memory which can’t be copied. I’ll have to reinstall gamepass/ MS edge etc.

I copied a whole bunch of games over to a memory card - the performance and controller profiles aren’t saved on there, either. There weren’t many and of those that were they were mostly associated with having to remap the broken L1 bumper, so again, could be worse.

Speaking or the memory card, big games are booting slower, especially on first boot. I’ll be transferring them back onto onboard memory.

Good news:

I’ve got my steam deck back! Well, it’s a brand new one so technically that’s better, right?! They shipped it on Friday, arrived an hour or so ago.

8 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Here’s a question, probably for @Siri I modded FF7 remake with the resolution fix. Will the mod files I installed be copied over?

I would imagine so, if you are just moving the files over and not uninstalling/reinstalling anything.

In other news:

image.png.977acc0f6cae4a78c266a8a3be8e8119.png

I should probably start budgeting for a spare 64gb model.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

Good news:

I’ve got my steam deck back! Well, it’s a brand new one so technically that’s better, right?! They shipped it on Friday, arrived an hour or so ago.

Only issue is that it might have a small change that (according to Valve) doesn't affect anything.  

Yeah, any game that requires a legitimately serious amount of data streaming that NVME theoretically offers would just choke any APU by default. Just being a drive that's faster than a mechanical drive is more than enough for this generation.

(Don't tell PS5/Series owners that were talking mad shit about storage speeds in the run up to this gen)

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

@Siridid you pick up Midnight Fight Express? How does it play on Deck?

I've only played up to what I did on the demo, which I also played on the deck.

With everything off, it ran like shit.

Spoiler

And then I realised that the global TDP setting I had on was on 4W. I put it back to 10W, which is my usual 'don't let the deck go apeshit' setting.

Ran like a champion after that even with maxed settings. I'm playing more when it's lunch time at work.

Edit: yep, same on the next three/four levels I played. Might have to turn down the TDP to complain again.

Once again Spider-Man is glorious on this and sets a new standard for such games. It is ported well, scales well, has accessibility options, etc, etc. 

I live just pottering around New York and not feeling like I am wasting precious screen time on the TV by not progressing the story.

Has a real pick up and play feel too, as the only controls you really need to worry about to get going are jumping and swinging. Everything what still had prompts when needed.

Im having issues using Xemu on Steam Deck. 

I have all the correct files inplace for it to work, and ISO files ive ripped myself from my personal collection, but everytime I try and launch a game it asks me to insert a disk. 

Ive manually navigated to the iso files in my roms folder within Xemu, but even then it asks me to insert a disk. 

Has anyone else had this issue/ knows of a fix to get this working ? 

21 minutes ago, SilverCrow said:

Im having issues using Xemu on Steam Deck. 

I have all the correct files inplace for it to work, and ISO files ive ripped myself from my personal collection, but everytime I try and launch a game it asks me to insert a disk. 

Ive manually navigated to the iso files in my roms folder within Xemu, but even then it asks me to insert a disk. 

Has anyone else had this issue/ knows of a fix to get this working ? 

From a quick Google search, If they're just ISO files, they need to be XISO files for Xemu to read them.

Have a look here.

7 hours ago, Ry said:

Nothing has impressed me more than Titanfall 2 on this. 

Locked 60fps at high settings. It's just amazing. 

One of my fav games ❤️ Might have to play again 

Estimated shipping periods have been updated on the store.

My 17th May 512GB pre-order was previously Q4.

Now Q3 (July - September). That  tracks well with my expectations based on the rate they've been getting through the backlog over the last two weeks.

I'm hoping it'll arrive before Return To Monkey Island release. I want to go PC for that but the option to play on the sofa is very appealing.

I didn't realise Return to Monkey Island would be so soon, tbh. I was expecting 2023, although my brain has been muddled by covid release timelines.

I've been umming and ahhing over Soul Hackers 2. I'm sure I've seen people play it with no issues on the Deck, but I've got a lot on my plate already. At least the gacha game I play has stopped bombarding events to ruin my spare time.

Also, I finally updated my Deck to whatever the new "Stable" version is after they rolled back the performance issues. Of course, updating after so long immediately meant 60 games' worth of shader updates. at least I'm off on staycation this afternoon instead of yesterday, I guess.

In other news: CEMU is now open source (MPL), and native Linux ports have arrived. there's no flatpak yet, but I'm sure some industrious soul will set that up in a jiffy for the sake of Retroarch.

1 hour ago, T Pot said:

GLS have handed my Steam Deck to Evri for delivery.

I may as well just open a support ticket with Valve now.

You could be one of the unlucky ones who has had their Parcel Force deliveries handed over to Evri by the Royal Mail boss ahead of the strikes.

8 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

You could be one of the unlucky ones who has had their Parcel Force deliveries handed over to Evri by the Royal Mail boss ahead of the strikes.

Yeah I am. Looking on Reddit it could be all UK orders this week.

20 hours ago, Siri said:

I've only played up to what I did on the demo, which I also played on the deck.

With everything off, it ran like shit.

Reveal hidden contents

And then I realised that the global TDP setting I had on was on 4W. I put it back to 10W, which is my usual 'don't let the deck go apeshit' setting.

Ran like a champion after that even with maxed settings. I'm playing more when it's lunch time at work.

Edit: yep, same on the next three/four levels I played. Might have to turn down the TDP to complain again.

I got a code in the end. It is really good

23 minutes ago, memories said:

My pre-order has jumped to Q3, this was supposed to be my Xmas present though.

How do I get my hands on it if it arrives in September without it being "put away till Xmas" :lol:

Obviously you need to open it to check the contents in case it has any defects and you need to send it back.

Also Christmas is bullshit.

ur welcome x

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK