Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

Christmas is every day when you have a Steam Deck, tbh.

Not going to worry if my family's hard up this year because of the energy situation. Just spend a fiver by myself on about eleventy billion games

1 hour ago, memories said:

My pre-order has jumped to Q3, this was supposed to be my Xmas present though.

How do I get my hands on it if it arrives in September without it being "put away till Xmas" :lol:

I mean you're an adult. Do as you please ;)

2 hours ago, memories said:

My pre-order has jumped to Q3, this was supposed to be my Xmas present though.

How do I get my hands on it if it arrives in September without it being "put away till Xmas" :lol:

Haha, yeah same. :D

Truth is I've been looking forward to it as a Christmas treat so I'll be wrapping it up and sitting on it for a few months. I'll always be 12 when it comes to new gaming hardware and Christmas morning.

Been away from home twice this holiday period. First time, the steam deck, sans wifi, worked perfectly. The second time, it wouldn't load any apps and freaked the hell out. Eventually it sorted itself out, and stuff worked again - but a huge bummer. Think I'll stick to the Switch next time.

Kinda meaningless anyway, as mainly played my Miyoo Mini - the perfect portable console.

When was the second time? There was some chat about the previous update completely fucking up offline mode for everyone - it's been fixed since with the most recent patch and they're looking at making the process more robust.

I held off updating in case there was problems, which in hindsight was a good idea as someone who takes the deck to work.

11 hours ago, T Pot said:

GLS have handed my Steam Deck to Evri for delivery.

I may as well just open a support ticket with Valve now.

AND ITS BEEN DELIVERED!! (To my neighbour, 1 hour after we left for the weekend.)

Has anyone had any issues with Steam Rom Manager creating empty collections in Steam on the Deck?

I added a couple of Roms to a couple of folders, fired up Steam Rom Manager, hit Preview App list and i see the games but after hitting Save and going back into Steam, I see the collections for the systems have been created but they're empty

20 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I've just read 10 pages of this, @Jamie John did you manage to finish your game you were having the save issues with?

I did, but not on the Steam Deck; luckily my save uploaded to the cloud and I was able to install the game (Disco Elysium) on my home desktop and resume playing it there.

I have to admit, I haven't turned the Deck on in a couple of weeks now. With ready access to my TV and PC, I don't really have a reason to play it at the moment. I need to get something that is too much for the Switch to handle but which I'm not fussed about playing on a bigger screen.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I did, but not on the Steam Deck; luckily my save uploaded to the cloud and I was able to install the game (Disco Elysium) on my home desktop and resume playing it there.

I saw that was the next step to try - glad it worked in the end :) 

In fact, I've got the below games sat unplayed but installed, all of which are either fully or partially Deck verified. Has anyone played any of these on their Deck? Which one should I play next? I've just started ME3 on Xbox, but I reckon I can sustain one big screen and one handheld game:

• Spelunky 2
  • XCOM 2
  • The Cat Lady
  • Darkwood
  • Hotline Miami 2
  • Song of Horror

I really hope Valve looks into how games are installing on SteamOS vs. the standard Steam client - I bought Soul Hackers 2 as it works out of the box from a YouTube video showing it, and.. it had no BGM. Game, sound effects and VA was fine, but silence while running about.

Checked I had the most recent Proton and settings, which was fine. Changed Proton version, still nothing. Went and verified the files, and.. two files were corrupted. Steam repaired them, sound is back.

Considering the constant amount of time Steam takes to verify files during the first install and every subsequent update, there's something not quite right if they're stuffed *after* that process, and it just causes unwarranted grief for the common man.

...not that the game is verified and works well after that affair, but it's still something that can occur on any game under SteamOS.

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

In fact, I've got the below games sat unplayed but installed, all of which are either fully or partially Deck verified. Has anyone played any of these on their Deck? Which one should I play next? I've just started ME3 on Xbox, but I reckon I can sustain one big screen and one handheld game:

• Spelunky 2
  • XCOM 2
  • The Cat Lady
  • Darkwood
  • Hotline Miami 2
  • Song of Horror

Spelunky 2 works great and is suited to the Deck perfectly (as its just like a fat Vita and it's what I rinsed Spelunky 1 on anyway). 

59 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Spelunky 2 works great and is suited to the Deck perfectly (as its just like a fat Vita and it's what I rinsed Spelunky 1 on anyway). 

That bodes well as it's the one I've started with. Bloody difficult so far...

On 25/08/2022 at 19:11, T Pot said:

AND ITS BEEN DELIVERED!! (To my neighbour, 1 hour after we left for the weekend.)

It's been sat there since Friday taunting me. On the cat camera. Can't get it until tomorrow night. 

Screenshot_20220827-102625.png.c46de4d66c5720d8210fd6947b9beb10.png

So it took me spending £75 quid on Sekiro and Elden Ring to realise that these games don't suit a portable experience. They are so intense, that they need the big screen. Intense 2D games? Perfect for portable, but this is too much in 3D. 

Also, sometimes when travelling and lacking wifi, everythings perfect and runs fine, and sometimes it shits the bed. Especially if you've engaged offline mode. It's weird, and a huge oversight for a portable machine. 

That and my 'y' button sticks a little, which is really annoying for such a premium device. 

But overall? After a few months now I absolutely love it, and down the line, I would buy an upgrade in a heartbeat (money permitting). It's just a superb way in to PC gaming for us stupid mac owners. Just brilliant.

4 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

It's just a superb way in to PC gaming for us stupid mac owners.

Yes :lol:

I had a gaming laptop for a few years but sold it in late 2019, as it was just a pain in the arse having all these computers. The Deck is just perfect to fill that void.

On 18/08/2022 at 15:46, Ry said:

I'm starting to regret my purchase. 

After tinkering with it and getting every game I want on it, I can't be arsed playing anything. On console either really. 

I have took a break from gaming thinking my passion might reignite, but it hasn't. 

To be honest, this is every piece of gaming hardware after the freeloading begins. ;) 

I don't have a Deck, but for legit purchases I often create a Steam library group for the latest things I've bought from sales etc, to remind me to make time for them.

21 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Has anyone played Dead Cells on this yet?  I stuffed a loooot of time into it on Switch, but none of the DLC...wondered how it performas and that. 

I don't know why I'm asking really, I know I'm going to buy it.  

I haven't got it installed as I'm trying to limit the amount of endless games that are on this bloody thing at once, but I do have it in my library. I'll have a look if nobody else jumps on it.

Edit: Jesus, this game's changed a lot since early access. But anyway - yeah, can't see any problems with it with the default Proton.