Jump to content

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK


QuackQuack
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 25/08/2022 at 14:43, Siri said:

When was the second time? There was some chat about the previous update completely fucking up offline mode for everyone - it's been fixed since with the most recent patch and they're looking at making the process more robust.

 

I held off updating in case there was problems, which in hindsight was a good idea as someone who takes the deck to work.


Ahhh okay. Between a week and two weeks ago. That line up? I hope so! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried XCOM 2 on this for about an hour this morning. It hits 40 FPS at maximum settings most of the time, but it's not configured for the controller, and using the track pad is fiddly. The text is very small, too, and using the magnifying function isn't ideal.

 

I think I might wait on this one for now. Seeing as how it's been ported to consoles, you'd hope that the devs would make some tweaks in the future to replicate that experience for the Deck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:


Ahhh okay. Between a week and two weeks ago. That line up? I hope so! 

 

The issue started occurring when 3.3 came out on Stable, which was August 2nd (along with the RDR2 VRAM and Microstutter issues). The update that fixed it happened on the 16th, and the performance issues were fixed on the 17th, apparently.

 

Ofc, those fixes aren't going to save games that shit the bed due to being offline by default (like GTA4 and Hitman).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I tried XCOM 2 on this for about an hour this morning. It hits 40 FPS at maximum settings most of the time, but it's not configured for the controller, and using the track pad is fiddly. The text is very small, too, and using the magnifying function isn't ideal.

 

I think I might wait on this one for now. Seeing as how it's been ported to consoles, you'd hope that the devs would make some tweaks in the future to replicate that experience for the Deck.


It’s been on consoles for 6 years. And the performance and loading times on console are atrocious. Can’t imagine the devs doing anything. Great game though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dizogg said:


It’s been on consoles for 6 years. And the performance and loading times on console are atrocious. Can’t imagine the devs doing anything. Great game though!

 

I knew the Switch port was supposed to be pants, but I didn't realise it was bad on other consoles as well. I might check out the Game Pass version, but otherwise I'll just play it on the full fat PC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jamie John said:

 

I knew the Switch port was supposed to be pants, but I didn't realise it was bad on other consoles as well. I might check out the Game Pass version, but otherwise I'll just play it on the full fat PC.


Its still playable on consoles due to the type of game it is, but loading a level literally takes 2-3 minutes. And the FPS drops quite a bit. This is playing on PS4 a few years ago though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking for an honest opinion from current owners please.

 

In your opinion is it worth getting one if you can’t be bothered with modifying / adjusting settings? 
 

Is it easy enough to simply pick up and play the majority of your steam library?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Siri said:

 

The issue started occurring when 3.3 came out on Stable, which was August 2nd (along with the RDR2 VRAM and Microstutter issues). The update that fixed it happened on the 16th, and the performance issues were fixed on the 17th, apparently.

 

Ofc, those fixes aren't going to save games that shit the bed due to being offline by default (like GTA4 and Hitman).


that makes perfect sense and lines up right. Glad to know it was mistake. Cheers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I've had mine open for a couple of hours. It's a bit nice innit? I've not looked at any of the tweak things yet, just installed my library starting with Outrun 2. Has to be done.

 

How do I get the virtual KB up in desktop mode?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just tried Frostpunk on the Epic Store via Heroic Game Launcher, but that's also a no go: the mouse cursor doesn't appear on screen, it's unresponsive to all the controller buttons except the dpad, and the text is even smaller than XCOM 2's. The straight Steam version might be different, but this is another one better played on PC

 

I'm going to try the Epic version of Control next. I've read that the Steam version runs well, so we'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jei said:

Looking for an honest opinion from current owners please.

 

In your opinion is it worth getting one if you can’t be bothered with modifying / adjusting settings? 
 

Is it easy enough to simply pick up and play the majority of your steam library?

 

Yes. This week I have mainly been playing Spider-Man and other games I just install and go.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone got Championship Manager 07,08 or 11 and can test on deck?

 

I can't be arsed with the new Football Managers and would prefer to play the less complicated older games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Paulando said:

Holy shit, that’s incredible. I did try Pilotwings Resort and the performance was pretty shit tbh. Is that just how it is, or should it be perfect?

 

According to the Citra reports, there shouldn't be any issues even on worse hardware, although I haven't tried anything myself for 3DS (not that I wouldn't, because SMT IV).

 

Did it clear up playing a second time around, indicating shader caching? Did you check that you haven't got a TDP set from a previous game?

 

3 hours ago, Jei said:

Looking for an honest opinion from current owners please.

 

In your opinion is it worth getting one if you can’t be bothered with modifying / adjusting settings? 
 

Is it easy enough to simply pick up and play the majority of your steam library?

 

I do a lot of faff, but I'm not really one to talk about this matter considering how much I fuck around with it, mostly to make sure I'm not talking bollocks when helping people out.

 

A lot* of my Steam library is not supported. But I would say a fair amount of games I actively want to play didn't require any odd shit out jumping into settings - any that does is usually one change to ProtonGE to fix, or I'm trying to run something absurd.

 

If it's a single player game, with no funny FMV format and with controller support, it's probably fine. There's no promises, but that's the price you pay to play about 50 year's worth of games in one device.

 

Spoiler

*just under a quarter of my games are marked as verified, over half including playable status, but my library has reached four digits..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Siri said:

Did it clear up playing a second time around, indicating shader caching? Did you check that you haven't got a TDP set from a previous game?


I’ve only tried it only actually, so could definitely give it another go to see if that’s the culprit.

 

Not touched any TDP settings and don’t understand what it is. Should I, or is that another minefield? :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loving this so far but had a few weird bugs so far.

 

  • Volume stopped responding, couldn't turn it up or down.
  • Clicking the install chrome in the non-steam games tab just screws the device. All buttons stop responding so I have to hold power to force shutdown.
  • Some games that launched earlier now crash and need tweaks.
  • Every page view on the store shows the cookie popup.

But it's still awesome. I was just sat playing Dirt Rally & Trackmania on the sofa!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Loving this so far but had a few weird bugs so far.

 

  • Volume stopped responding, couldn't turn it up or down.
  • Clicking the install chrome in the non-steam games tab just screws the device. All buttons stop responding so I have to hold power to force shutdown.
  • Some games that launched earlier now crash and need tweaks.
  • Every page view on the store shows the cookie popup.

But it's still awesome. I was just sat playing Dirt Rally & Trackmania on the sofa!

You have to piss in it to get it working 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Not touched any TDP settings and don’t understand what it is. Should I, or is that another minefield? :lol:

 

If you don't want to, you don't need to. You got this far anyway without knowing it 😉 But if you're after knowing:

 

Spoiler

All it does is cap the power that the combined CPU/graphics can draw - if you're playing a game and you feel it's using too much battery,  you can force the hardware to be less powerful (and as a result, the game runs worse) but use less battery as a consequence.

 

Similar to high-end graphics cards, you'll find the deck goes a bit apeshit to get the best performance - it can draw up to 25w, but in reality you'll get 80-90% of the performance at around 10-11w. Most older PC games can chug along at 4w!

 

Normally, the deck will do this automatically - but surprise, some games across the thousands that theoretically can be played on this thing can be weird!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jei said:

Looking for an honest opinion from current owners please.

 

In your opinion is it worth getting one if you can’t be bothered with modifying / adjusting settings? 
 

Is it easy enough to simply pick up and play the majority of your steam library?

 

As others have said, yes.  A lot of games just work, if not, one simple change in the Steam settings for that game will probably make it work.  If it doesn't work, it's probably being worked on!

 

29 minutes ago, T Pot said:

I did just have a other wired one. Trackmania did this with the graphics and refused to quit when told to!

 

PXL_20220828_182425740.thumb.jpg.420d0a4a03ebe60a07682b636c46e42a.jpg

 

Use the magnifier!  /s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.