Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

5 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Silly question but how easy is it to boot into linux desktop mode?. Do you need to reboot?, or like Windows where you can choose between desktop and tablet mode.

Hold down the power button, select Switch to Desktop.  Takes about 10 seconds?

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I didn't know that Richard Ayoade did Steam Deck tutorials.

I'd write something about The IT Crowd, but I'd only end up with something along the lines of 'Graham Linehan's a mad TERF cunt and I feel bad watching it in hindsight' and embarrass myself immensely.

Oh

3 hours ago, Ry said:

Has anyone got Championship Manager 07,08 or 11 and can test on deck?

I can't be arsed with the new Football Managers and would prefer to play the less complicated older games. 

Simple install and play, no need to faff about with getting it to run. Text is small but you'll probably expect that, and it's mouse control only so you'll need to find a way of setting up the deck that's comfortable for you - I found the default to be a little too twitchy, but a fiddle with the sensitivity settings and remapping a few buttons would do the trick. I've played a lot of FM using a controller as it's a nice game to play while on an exercise bike, so there's no doubt CM can be set up to work similarly.

It's not a great game, though. I've been wondering recently if CM 01/02 would work well on the Deck, but it'll be a while before I get around to trying it out as I'm currently not fussed on doing extra work to get non-Steam games running on it. That can come later.

6 minutes ago, yakumo said:

So it reboots into desktop mode, not just switch you mean?.

from what I gather, it's not *really* a reboot - all it does in those seconds is close down the SteamOS GUI and loads up KDE desktop. It's not an actual boot loop (where you'd see the BIOS/deck logo before it does the startup animation).

you can also use the Steam button menu to do the switch if you don't want to hold the power button - it's under power.

Has anyone managed to do the Game Pass cloud streaming thing?

I'm following this tutorial from MS, but Edge isn't appearing in the lists of non-Steam games when I get to step 7.

Also, do you have to enter the command string exactly as it appears? If so, how do you drop a line (i.e. press return) using the on screen keyboard to separate the three lines from each other?

flatpak --user override --filesystem=/run/udev:ro com.microsoft.Edge

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Has anyone managed to do the Game Pass cloud streaming thing?

I'm following this tutorial from MS, but Edge isn't appearing in the lists of non-Steam games when I get to step 7.

Also, do you have to enter the command string exactly as it appears? If so, how do you drop a line (i.e. press return) using the on screen keyboard to separate the three lines from each other?

Have you downloaded Edge beta in desktop mode? 

47 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Simple install and play, no need to faff about with getting it to run. Text is small but you'll probably expect that, and it's mouse control only so you'll need to find a way of setting up the deck that's comfortable for you - I found the default to be a little too twitchy, but a fiddle with the sensitivity settings and remapping a few buttons would do the trick. I've played a lot of FM using a controller as it's a nice game to play while on an exercise bike, so there's no doubt CM can be set up to work similarly.

It's not a great game, though. I've been wondering recently if CM 01/02 would work well on the Deck, but it'll be a while before I get around to trying it out as I'm currently not fussed on doing extra work to get non-Steam games running on it. That can come later.

Thanks for the info. 

Yeah, I'm really wanting to try the much older CM games 01/02 being the best. 

Can't find a steam key for it though. 

That's because it was never on Steam - it wasn't until one of the later FM games that Sports Interactive used Steam. FM 2010 is the earliest I have and I think I was getting them annually at the time, so it could be around then. 

https://www.champman0102.net/index.php has a fully legal CM 01/02 download, plus the no cd patch and a host of other things, but I recall you saying you only have a Deck and no PC, so I'm not sure if you'll have any easy route to this.

For a different approach it may be worth trying out something like We Are Football, which Valve have rated as Playable on Steam.

Or a really, completely different take, I think Football, Tactics and Glory is a great turn-based take on football, and should work great on the Deck.

26 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah - I've followed the steps exactly up until 7.

Having just done it, I just head-ass copied and pasted the command from that page into Konsole. Ends up spitting it out as a single line, and it accepted the command when pressing enter (tip: the shortcut for that should be holding either the Steam or QAM button and right on the d-pad). My controls work, so I'm guessing it's a success.

Also a success: I don't understand how Forza is playable over cloud and on my crummy wifi, but it kinda is

39 minutes ago, Siri said:

Having just done it, I just head-ass copied and pasted the command from that page into Konsole. Ends up spitting it out as a single line, and it accepted the command when pressing enter (tip: the shortcut for that should be holding either the Steam or QAM button and right on the d-pad). My controls work, so I'm guessing it's a success.

Also a success: I don't understand how Forza is playable over cloud and on my crummy wifi, but it kinda is

Cheers! Appears to be working. I'm playing ME3 with no problems.

It does make me more excited about the plans to play your owned games on the service and if the ActiBlizz deal goes through, definitely - network quality be damned, I'll gladly take this as an avenue to play Anti-cheat laden games and the console version of Diablo 3.

I fully expect it to run like an absolute pig if I use my phone as a hotspot while at work, though.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Man. The Xbox Cloud thing is fucking great! I can just play all of my Game Pass games, and it completely bypasses any of the Deck"s graphical limitations.

Don't forget to change the user agent to Windows for better quality streaming.

https://old.reddit.com/r/xcloud/comments/vrfmuz/quality_on_linux/

Download the User Agent Switcher and Manager extension for Edge beta in desktop mode, and switch the user agent to the latest Windows version of Edge for "All Windows". When you next launch Xcloud, you should find everything is a bit sharper.

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

Don't forget to change the user agent to Windows for better quality streaming.

https://old.reddit.com/r/xcloud/comments/vrfmuz/quality_on_linux/

Download the User Agent Switcher and Manager extension for Edge beta in desktop mode, and switch the user agent to the latest Windows version of Edge for "All Windows". When you next launch Xcloud, you should find everything is a bit sharper.

I've done this (I think) - I set the user agent to the top option of Edge, which looked like the latest version. I'm not sure that I've noticed an immediate difference, but perhaps it's more subtle than that...

On the Xbox Cloud site, am I right in thinking you can't stream directly from your own console, like you can do using the app on your phone?

And is there a way for me to see my list of 'Play Later' games?

Anyway, this is great. Just a had a quick blast on Forza 5 in bed with no hitching whatsoever. It makes me think that Microsoft are mad for not developing their own Cloud-only handheld yet.

23 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

On the Xbox Cloud site, am I right in thinking you can't stream directly from your own console, like you can do using the app on your phone?

And is there a way for me to see my list of 'Play Later' games?

Anyway, this is great. Just a had a quick blast on Forza 5 in bed with no hitching whatsoever. It makes me think that Microsoft are mad for not developing their own Cloud-only handheld yet.

The console streaming thing is possible as someone developed a third party app for it, but my understanding is that it's a bit laggy still, so it needs some work done.

As for a cloud handheld, as mentioned, Microsoft are more interested selling a service that works on anything as opposed to selling a specific device for it. Most Android-based handhelds like the Ayn Odin and Retroid Pocket cater to that mindset.

54 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've done this (I think) - I set the user agent to the top option of Edge, which looked like the latest version. I'm not sure that I've noticed an immediate difference, but perhaps it's more subtle than that...

For some reason the latest version didn't show up straight away for me, but did after a bit of fiddling around. The extension might have to update itself. It probably doesn't make a difference for Xcloud though.

It's not a mind-blowing difference, but it is significant, especially for text. The Reddit thread I linked to shows a comparison.

19 hours ago, Siri said:

Did it clear up playing a second time around, indicating shader caching? Did you check that you haven't got a TDP set from a previous game?

So I tried it again last night, and without any tweaks the performance was perfect. Even bumping it to 2x and 3x, and it looked great. Looking forward to revisiting some 3DS classics!

Just at my bro-in-law's and his Deck arrived this week.

Had a quick go. Fuck me, it's uncomfortable to hold! Same issue that I have with the Switch. Just hurts my wrists and feels unwieldy due to the flat back surface.

That's saved me a shitload of money!! :lol: