Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

6 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Just at my bro-in-law's and his Deck arrived this week.

Had a quick go. Fuck me, it's uncomfortable to hold! Same issue that I have with the Switch. Just hurts my wrists and feels unwieldy due to the flat back surface.

That's saved me a shitload of money!! :lol:

I couldn't disagree more with the comparison to the switch. This has grips either side which make it miles better than holding the slab that is the switch.

It is a bit of a beast though and has you stretching a bit at times.

13 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Had a quick go. Fuck me, it's uncomfortable to hold! Same issue that I have with the Switch. Just hurts my wrists and feels unwieldy due to the flat back surface.

Are you sure it was a Steam Deck? The grips on the deck are moulded like a modern controller, so more like holding a Switch with the Hori split pad.

Edit: Now with pic!

PXL_20220829_125739637.thumb.jpg.20b0b10e0c9b178626bc63ebdbf010d9.jpg

Anyway, I've been playing a bit of C&C Remastered recently so I thought I'd see how that played on the Steam Deck. Obviously RTS games are never going to be ideal on a handheld, and this one is only "Playable", but I figured it might be simple enough to work.

It kind of does! I played through a couple of missions without any massive issues. The right trackpad or stick controls the cursor, with the left stick moving your view. The triggers control mouse clicks, and the d-pad or left trackpad handles groups. The touch screen works as a mouse too, but I haven't used it much. It's still a bit fiddly, but quite playable.

It did highlight one quirk though. Space and Each are mapped to the hamburger and, err, the other menu button, but neither seem to work unless you play the game in Desktop mode. I have no idea why.

Emudeck is driving me nuts. For some reason, when i add custom artwork for roms it won't scrape automatically and save them they look find in rom manager but in the Steam deck view they don't update!

Anyone know how to fix this?

34 minutes ago, watusi said:

Emudeck is driving me nuts. For some reason, when i add custom artwork for roms it won't scrape automatically and save them they look find in rom manager but in the Steam deck view they don't update!

Anyone know how to fix this?

After adding your custom artwork through Steam Rom Manager you have to then scroll to the end of the artwork carousel before saving for it to appear, did you do that?

This is proving surprisingly hard to Google, but is it possible to map a keyboard button combo to a single Steam Deck button? I'm trying to map Ctrl+N and Ctrl+L for quicksaves/loads in C&C, but can't seem to figure it out.

Edit: Never mind! You need to set the second button as a separate "layer" in the config. Now to figure out chords...:D

31 minutes ago, Popo said:

After adding your custom artwork through Steam Rom Manager you have to then scroll to the end of the artwork carousel before saving for it to appear, did you do that?

Hmm.. completely missed the other kinds of artwork I needed to add! A definite case of user error! Ta

19 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Or a really, completely different take, I think Football, Tactics and Glory is a great turn-based take on football, and should work great on the Deck.

oh interesting. I always assumed this was shit because a) the name is a bit naff and b) they got Lothar Matthäus as the face and it just cried out bang average. 

i will have a look tho!

It's genuinely really good. When I first saw it I thought it looked a bit crap (and this was before they started using Matthäus) but I took a chance in a sale one day and was hooked before too long.

To begin with, I was getting hammered by the AI, largely because I didn't really know what I was doing, but I slowly got a feel for what skills worked against which opponents, what formations to use in different situations, etc. Plus, it had the always entertaining loop of training up younger players and watching the goals rake in, or signing that superstar who transforms your team's fortunes, so a lot of the appealing stuff of a football management title is still there even if the underlying gameplay wildly differs.

Haven't tried either of the DLCs yet, though I understand the second one really hits performance so I'll ignore that.

Flat back? This is the forum post equivalent of ‘breasts feel like a bag of sand’ from 40 year old virgin.

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Maybe I should have been more detailed with my choice of words. The majority of the back of the Deck is flat.

Yes, there are those grips on either side but I didn't find them big enough to allow me to comfortably hold the thing for long.

A shame as seeing stuff like Elden Ring running on a handheld was very impressive!

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

Maybe I should have been more detailed with my choice of words. The majority of the back of the Deck is flat.

Yes, there are those grips on either side but I didn't find them big enough to allow me to comfortably hold the thing for long.

A shame as seeing stuff like Elden Ring running on a handheld was very impressive!

I mean, if you're finding the grips on the Steam Deck too small, there's not a lot you can do about that. The back isn't really meant to be grasped outside of tapping the paddle buttons, as that's where the most heat is generated and exhausted, and it can get quite hot.

Out of curiosity, what controllers and handhelds do you find comfortable? The only handheld devices that might help if you're considering this size class of PC would be the GPD Win Max series, but you'd be paying through the nose for a similar performance bracket.

Just wanted to say how awesome this little machine is. I've got it set up for emulation and been eyeing up some games I never got around to playing. Plus the ability to just pick it up and play games in my steam and epic library is awesome.

This last year with WFH more my PC gaming has taken a hit. Add to that podcasting & editing, the desire to sit at my PC to game just wasn't there. The SD has just change all that and I'm loving it.

5 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Yes, it was a Steam Deck. I found it really uncomfortable to hold like I do the Switch. 

Even with the raised grippy bits.

Sorry to disappoint Valve fans.

I’m no Valve fan but it feels totally different to hold than a Switch.

Since the Steam version of RCT Classic is crap (it's essentially running inside an android emulator and has no config options)

I guess it's time to emulate the original Xbox version 

PXL_20220829_190245443.thumb.jpg.9d2a46e29aa00ee65146e7d2b6d687a1.jpg

1 hour ago, T Pot said:

Since the Steam version of RCT Classic is crap (it's essentially running inside an android emulator and has no config options)

I guess it's time to emulate the original Xbox version 

PXL_20220829_190245443.thumb.jpg.9d2a46e29aa00ee65146e7d2b6d687a1.jpg

Have you tried running OpenRCT?

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Have you tried running OpenRCT?

Nope, didn't even think of that. Although I wonder how good it actually would be. At least with this one most of the controls are done with radial menus so work not too bad with the sticks.

Resuming playing on the Xbox Cloud Gaming Beta app/webpage workaround from standby mode is inconsistent: sometimes it will get me right back into the game after a few seconds; other times it will boot me back to the Xbox Cloud Gaming home page and nothing will play, so I have to exit out of the app using the Steam interface and then reload it, before then reloading the game I was playing.

It's a pretty minor annoyance, really, but it would be fantastic if that particular experience was as 'pick up and play' as the rest of the Deck. That's the only problem I've come across with Xbox Cloud Gaming, however - I played ME3 for an hour on it this evening in bed, and apart from some very occasional visibly artefacting, it was indistinguishable from playing it locally.

Set Chiaiki up and just spent an hour playing Destiny 2 while my better half watched some trash on the main TV.

Had to fiddle with some settings to get the audio to not crackle but once that was sorted it was perfect!

11 hours ago, bobontheway said:

Hats off to iD software on Doom Eternal! Ultra Nightmare settings on a portable device… that is some olympic level optimisation!

Doom 2016 really was a watershed moment for Vulkan - that that moment in time, regardless of what computer you had, you had to pick that renderer. Not because OpenGL was bad, but because even if you had a snifter of supported hardware, you were basically guaranteed a +50% uplift.

And now we're running every DirectX game through it on Linux.

The Steam Deck is, ultimately, a games console that plays games that are not designed for it - including its own marketplace. It's baffling, but it works.

Titanfall 2 is on sale for £4 and I'm tempted to blast through it again, even though I've got it on PS4, and Game Pass. Having this thing makes me want to rebuy all my favourites from the PS4/XB1 and PS3/360 gens.

I've read there's a different launcher you can get for it that fixes all of the broken shit that Respawn never did. Dunno how you'd go about installing though.

Spider-Man Remastered runs at a respectable 30fps with textures on high and everything else on medium or low. It does reliably start to stutter and quickly crash after about 60-90 minutes of play in my experience.

By reliably I mean it happens a lot, not that it’s a good thing.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK