Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

Start with an SD card and see if your actual experience is worse than you'd like. While plenty of people have said that swapping out the SSD is simple enough, it's still work you might not actually need to do.

Don't count your stable doors if you're going to chicken out of buying a horse. Or something.

My sister got me a Jsaux dock and a wireless Corsair keyboard that my birthday. Looking forward to setting up on my monitor. I did have a usb hub thing but just to much dangling and hanging so hoping this helps keep things tidier. 

9 hours ago, Bucky said:

Fucking Hell, I've just finished about 2 hours of play on Titan Fall 2 on my Deck.  It's ridiculous what that machine can do.

Obviously the Steam Deck is also pretty good too.

It's amazing isn't it? That was my most played game on the Xbox for years until the servers fell apart. I dunno if it was fixed.

I've played in more in the last week than I have in the last year. All on the sofa, or in bed, or in the car. It's grand.

2 hours ago, tenrou said:

Is there a technical limitation where installing to the sd card rather than the ssd is worse?  I'll be leaving steamos on it so no windows or that.  No scsi addressing issues there.  Is there a Linux limitation where the 64gb is an issue?  I just wondered as from a speed perspective the reports are no obvious difference between the 2 in load times etc. 

Does the sd card show up in lsblk and dev?  

I'm thinking of just getting an sd card initially rather than upgrading the 64gb ssd.

In terms of in game performance I suspect it varies heavily by title. How much efficiently the game utilises storage throughput.

Something that loads masses of resources in one go and waits for all to be done will perform worse than something that multi-tasks.

Basically how well does the game utilises the raw throughput of the storage.

Cannot comment on the practicalities of putting certain data on the SD card Vs the SSD as I've not got my deck yet.

I'd have had one of these much sooner if I hadn't changed my mind about which version I wanted back in February, but I finally received my email and have completed my purchase. I'm excited! No clue what I'm going to play first.

So, 2K Games have added a 'Quality of Life' update to all the Bioshock games.

Of course, what they've actually done is shoehorned their godawful launcher into the games - and as a result, has broken both the Native Linux port and Proton compatibility.

Thankfully, some clever bods have already whipped up a launch command that you can copy and paste from here to get them working again. I think you can also just change the target application to the actual game .exe, but it's not like I've tried it myself.

Of course, all three games are being review bombed because of this nonsense.

Good.

44 minutes ago, Siri said:

Of course, what they've actually done is shoehorned their godawful launcher into the games - and as a result, has broken both the Native Linux port and Proton compatibility.

Thankfully, some clever bods have already whipped up a launch command that you can copy and paste from here to get them working again. I think you can also just change the target application to the actual game .exe, but it's not like I've tried it myself.

Good.

That’s fucking awful. Hate all this launcher bullshit.

yeah, there should be a law against retroactively forcing a different launcher to the one the customer paid for.

I would never, ever have paid for any game that forced me to use the 2K launcher, so I feel cheated out of the Bioshock experiences that I paid for.

18 hours ago, Siri said:

Good.

And as usual....I can't get it to work,  on infinte on this occasion.

This definitely highlights that slightly dirty edge of the Steam Deck that exists. Even a verified game can easily become unverified overnight and the "verified Steam games just work and you need no fiddling" statement evaporates.

In the end this is a PC and shit happens on PCs (to everyone, not just how odd things happen to dekay on everything else).

The whole thing from 2K is stupid but these extra launchers and settings windows are part and parcel of steam at times. Shut to add them later for whatever reason but many games simple release with them and it's just as crap

30 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

This definitely highlights that slightly dirty edge of the Steam Deck that exists. Even a verified game can easily become unverified overnight and the "verified Steam games just work and you need no fiddling" statement evaporates.

In the end this is a PC and shit happens on PCs (to everyone, not just how odd things happen to dekay on everything else).

Nobody's trying to pretend the Steam Deck magically turns PC games into console games, and nobody's trying to pretend that updates can't cause issues. However, this is a pretty extreme example where an update to a bunch of old games completely changed how they launch. Obviously if the verification check was happening now these games would not pass, and if the issue is not addressed by either 2K or the Proton team then I imagine they will be removed from the list.

K having this in my hands is an interesting experience.  I feel like the hardware is pretty good, feels solid.

The software is finicky though.  As with most users I suspect, my library is not just steam but epic, gog, ea, game pass etc.  Installing all these has proved difficult with the touch screen and the touch screen seems to like to miss characters occasionally, although this might be a screen protector issue as I've seen that in the past. Heroic launcher made epic easier but I've yet to try bottles for ea.  I feel like yeah I could do it but I'd like valve to manage this a bit better.  They may not want to put an overlay on top or manage access to other launchers but I feel they'll need to do something to extend out adoption to mainstream.  

10 minutes ago, tenrou said:

the touch screen seems to like to miss characters occasionally, although this might be a screen protector issue as I've seen that in the past.

It’s not the screen protector or the touch screen, it’s the touch keyboard, it’s horrific.

I’ve found the best way is to use both trackpads, left thumb for the left side of the keyboard and right thumb for the right.

1 hour ago, tenrou said:

K having this in my hands is an interesting experience.  I feel like the hardware is pretty good, feels solid.

The software is finicky though.  As with most users I suspect, my library is not just steam but epic, gog, ea, game pass etc.  Installing all these has proved difficult with the touch screen and the touch screen seems to like to miss characters occasionally, although this might be a screen protector issue as I've seen that in the past. Heroic launcher made epic easier but I've yet to try bottles for ea.  I feel like yeah I could do it but I'd like valve to manage this a bit better.  They may not want to put an overlay on top or manage access to other launchers but I feel they'll need to do something to extend out adoption to mainstream.  

get a usb-c hub and plug into a kb/mouse & screen to fiddle about wiht other app stores, emulatores etc, otherwise you'll be in a world of pain

I found I had a usbc adapter and I have a hub and keyboard and mouse so they work but I just feel that defeats the overall purpose of this.  It feels like a computer trying to be a handheld. 

The more I move beyond steam the more I feel like I just prefer my laptop.  I have been installing ea origin via bottles and I've got it working but this is the next thing I have found issues with.  Because bottles is emulating windows everything shows as 😄 but it only seems to have permissions to the local block ssd and I can't find the sd card.  I suspect you can do it but I just want to play a game.  

I also had issues adding my sd card in general.  Put in a brand new 256gb sd card,  a SanDisk ultra which was recommended for the deck.  It passed testing but failed formatting.  Happened multiple times after multiple restarts.  I ended up taking it out, putting it in the tablet to test it worked.  I then erased it, put it back in the deck and the format completed.  I feel this evening hasn't been very productive.

11 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Is Red Dead Redemption 2 borked for anyone else following todays update. ??? Was fine yesterday but now its launches but never connects to Rockstars servers and steam just auto quits it now....😢

Yeah, SteamDeck subreddit is reporting lots of the same 

10 hours ago, tenrou said:

I found I had a usbc adapter and I have a hub and keyboard and mouse so they work but I just feel that defeats the overall purpose of this.  It feels like a computer trying to be a handheld. 

The more I move beyond steam the more I feel like I just prefer my laptop.  I have been installing ea origin via bottles and I've got it working but this is the next thing I have found issues with.  Because bottles is emulating windows everything shows as 😄 but it only seems to have permissions to the local block ssd and I can't find the sd card.  I suspect you can do it but I just want to play a game.  

I also had issues adding my sd card in general.  Put in a brand new 256gb sd card,  a SanDisk ultra which was recommended for the deck.  It passed testing but failed formatting.  Happened multiple times after multiple restarts.  I ended up taking it out, putting it in the tablet to test it worked.  I then erased it, put it back in the deck and the format completed.  I feel this evening hasn't been very productive.

well the purpose is to play steam games, which is a smooth experience for me, there’s nothing in it for valve to streamline other stores

There's a cracking humble bundle sale right now. 

There's only a couple of games I'm Interested in though (PGA, Mafia Definitive and Borderlands 3) not sure how well the rest would play on deck as they are mostly RTS games. 

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/2k-megahits?cjevent=8fa3fbbf2f4911ed827000810a180512&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=digidip&utm_content=7988612&utm_term=14555742&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK