Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

As great as a deal it is, don't expect any of them to work out of the box because of 2K haphazardly adding third party launchers into games that existed without them in the first place.

I bought it as I'm willing to fuck around with getting them to work. On the other hand, I changed the money split to go entirely to charity and nothing to 2K Games because, well, fuck them.

Prey performs really well on Steam Deck if anyones interested. It’s verified.

On that note, Rollerdrome (aka one of the GOTY’s) missed out on verified status because some of the text is quite small. To my eye there’s text the same size or smaller than that in Prey. I don’t have any issue reading either of them but that’s sort of interesting. Maybe there’s a precise pixel measurement.

I'd imagine font has an impact (hur hur) on that, as well.

I'm a bit burnt out from playing Diablo 2 all week, so in a bit of a no man's land. Might finish off Arcade Paradise, see how I feel after that regarding what game I want to play next.

A tiny part of me wants to fuck about with Bioshock, but I should really concentrate on getting FF7 Remake done so I can clear 100gb off the SD card..

17 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Last time I checked windows didn’t work all that well (driver issues etc), has that changed?

I think the questions was meant to be why you'd want Windows on it?

I guess there are games that only work that way (no Proton support or other issue like DRM) but it comes with its own issues of Windows is just never going to be able to have as much control over or integration with the hardware as SteamOS does.

4 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Is Linux game compatibility much improved? The main thing I would miss is game pass (downloaded, not cloud)

There’s a few that won’t run due to anti cheat but other than that you’re only mostly constrained by the machines power and if it works well on a gamepad.

6 hours ago, Oracle said:

Is Linux game compatibility much improved? The main thing I would miss is game pass (downloaded, not cloud)

The Proton translation layer is making it possible for many Windows games to get up and running. It's improving all the time so more and more games are getting support.

https://www.protondb.com/ can show good info on what works and doesn't. It's based on community feedback so many things not officially supported might be fine with some tweaks or minor issues (i.e sightly small text or having to use a track-pad as a mouse in menus) and you can decide if that matters to you for that game.

Games from many launchers are running with some workarounds. Stuff from Epic and the like can be get running.

But Game Pass is an example of a set of games not natively playable on the system without installing Windows (which can be dual boot).

I accidentally started up a game in desktop Linux mode the other day and found you lose access to the steam button overlay and options menu overlay, this stuff is super useful for controller configs and performance tweaking. Can’t even imagine how awful it would be running Windows on it, unless you have it connected to a monitor/keyboard/mouse all the time.

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Can it run the touchscreen version of windows that I may have just imagined existed?

I don't think there's a dedicated touch screen version these days.

But it does have a tablet mode which changes apps to full screen and reduces clutter (apparently, I've never tried it).

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm stuck. I have installed Windows 11 on an SD card and downloaded the drivers from the Steam website. I can't seem to find the option to install the Audio Drivers, just get the option to Open and then it just opens in nNotepad. I'm not a Windows user, so I'm sure the solution is very simple. Any help appreciated!

11 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm stuck. I have installed Windows 11 on an SD card and downloaded the drivers from the Steam website. I can't seem to find the option to install the Audio Drivers, just get the option to Open and then it just opens in nNotepad. I'm not a Windows user, so I'm sure the solution is very simple. Any help appreciated!

Go into Device Manager, find the audio card, and choose to update drivers and point it at the files you downloaded.

Thanks @deKay

Edit: Hmm... says it's fine in Device Manager and No Device Installed in the quick settings at lower right of screen. Will try a restart once my downloads are done and hope that fixes it.

Edit 2: I hadn't unzipped the god damned files had I? I was trying to install them for the unzip preview like some kind of dickhead. Audio fixed!

I still can't get Xbox Cloud Streaming to come on again consistently when I turn the console on from standby. Sometimes I'll be able to tap on the game I was playing from the Xbox page and get straight back in. Other times it'll just repeatedly say 'Disconnected from Cloud Gaming Session' when I select a game and I have to exit and reload the Cloud Gaming app to get it working again.

Is there a trick to it? I've tried exiting from the game I'm playing, back to the Xbox menu and then turning the Deck off, but it still doesn't work every time.

5 hours ago, bradigor said:

Has anyone set up PS+ streaming on this? 

Yes, I just run the official client under proton. Works fine although randomly in the game selection UI thinks I’m using a mouse then swaps back to a controller. No issues when actually in games though.