Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

Mad Max is on sale for 3 quid or so on Steam. Runs exceptionally well on deck, locked 60 with the details cranked up. Looks amazing (the high contrast desert landscapes suit the smaller screen). It's very much an open world game that puts together systems from a number of other games but the overall package is a good one (it's very competently put together), and it has to be one of the best looking games on Deck that runs comfortably at 60. 

29 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

May be a stupid question but if I press the QAM button on a non Steam game I've installed, nothing happens.  I wanted to set the FPS cap but no joy.

Does it only come up on Steam games?

Are you running it through the game/handheld mode, or the desktop mode?

29 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

May be a stupid question but if I press the QAM button on a non Steam game I've installed, nothing happens.  I wanted to set the FPS cap but no joy.

Does it only come up on Steam games?

No, it'll come up as long as you're in SteamOS, non-Steam game or otherwise.

1 hour ago, Bonzai1888 said:

I thought I asked this but can't see the post....is there any advantage to buying Cyberpunk on steam or just stick with launching through GOG launcher thing?

The main thing you'll get from running through Steam is getting pre-cached shaders where other players are contributing to that, which should mean less stuttering and frame drops as you play.

Of course, if you're not sensitive to that and you've been happily playing the GOG version, there's not a lot else. Can't remember if the GOG version has cloud saves, but that's not really a big deal anyway unless you're playing over multiple devices.

8 minutes ago, Siri said:

Can't remember if the GOG version has cloud saves, but that's not really a big deal anyway unless you're playing over multiple devices.

It does, but they weren't available through Heroic last time I tried.

On 12/09/2022 at 20:31, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Finished just now with Everyone's Gone to the Rapture. That blew me away a bit tbh.

That's one of my fave games ever. I love the setting, the fact that it feels like a 70s sci-fi short story and that music is just sublime/

1 hour ago, Siri said:

The main thing you'll get from running through Steam is getting pre-cached shaders where other players are contributing to that, which should mean less stuttering and frame drops as you play.

Of course, if you're not sensitive to that and you've been happily playing the GOG version, there's not a lot else. Can't remember if the GOG version has cloud saves, but that's not really a big deal anyway unless you're playing over multiple devices.

I will download the gog version again and see how it feels, I have it on PS5 too...but looking for something a bit meaty to play on the deck.

32 minutes ago, strider said:

Isn’t a Steam Deck completely pointless if my disc version of OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast won’t run on it?

IMG_20220914_082826.thumb.jpg.05ed50396a2d57b31a675ca44a943c6b.jpg

Jokes aside, you can also just pull all the files off the original disk via another computer if you don't have an external drive spare and transfer it over USB, SD card or FTP.

You can get around requiring a disk to run after installing it by either making the disk files an ISO and mounting it, or (as a more sensible option) run a no CD patch which is readily available. In fact, the community enhancement patch (Outrun FXT) should do this, effectively.

Life finds a way on the Steam Deck. (Unless you've shoehorned in a shit Anti-cheat and won't offer streaming)

50 minutes ago, strider said:

Isn’t a Steam Deck completely pointless if my disc version of OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast won’t run on it?

What you need to do is go back in time, buy Outrun from Steam, come back to the present and enjoy it. 

Also Halo: Mister Chuff Collection is discounted to £12.99 right now. Multiplayer doesn't work due to the anti-cheat but campaigns work great. Playing reach last night at a silky smooth 60FPS was amazing. 

I love this wee machine and am looking forward to what comes in the future. There's already some cool devices out there and it's early days for the full PC in a gaming handheld. 

10 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Also Halo: Mister Chuff Collection is discounted to £12.99 right now. Multiplayer doesn't work due to the anti-cheat but campaigns work great. Playing reach last night at a silky smooth 60FPS was amazing. 

I love this wee machine and am looking forward to what comes in the future. There's already some cool devices out there and it's early days for the full PC in a gaming handheld. 

I have  deck coming in the next few weeks . One of the things I am most looking forward to is playing mcc . I am sure it’s been asked before , but for a complete layman, what do you have to do to get mcc up and running ? Is there an up to date guide somewhere ? 

2 minutes ago, PaB said:

I have  deck coming in the next few weeks . One of the things I am most looking forward to is playing mcc . I am sure it’s been asked before , but for a complete layman, what do you have to do to get mcc up and running ? Is there an up to date guide somewhere ? 

Visit ProtonDB

https://www.protondb.com/app/976730

Should be everyone's first port of call for Steam games.

1 minute ago, PaB said:

From my understanding, setting it up is more of a case of 'install the game, pick the launch option that disables the anti-cheat'. That's about it until 343 enables EAC like they have for Infinite.

34 minutes ago, PaB said:

and long shot - does it have any integration with xbox saves for campaign?

36 minutes ago, PaB said:

33 minutes ago, Siri said:

From my understanding, setting it up is more of a case of 'install the game, pick the launch option that disables the anti-cheat'. That's about it until 343 enables EAC like they have for Infinite.

Not quite anymore, there was an update that broke it. You have to flip to desktop mode, find a file called something like easyanticheat_64.so change it to something like .so.bak and then launch the game without the anti cheat mode. That's how I got it running last night. 

20 minutes ago, Oracle said:

and long shot - does it have any integration with xbox saves for campaign?

No. Pulls across your acheivements but not saves annoyingly. Even though you sign into Xbox to play it. 

15 minutes ago, Giddas said:

I had a go with playing Super Mario Odyssey on the SD with yuzu (I already have it on Switch). It's crap innit? Stuttering around.

I did read somewhere that Yuzu is basically shit until you disable AMD's equivalent of hyperthreading, but that's faff that I haven't bothered with (essentially requiring an additional plugin manager thing for advanced performance stuff).

I think about playing Aegis Rim every now and again, but I can't be arsed. Got enough games to play anyway.

5 minutes ago, Siri said:

I did read somewhere that Yuzu is basically shit until you disable AMD's equivalent of hyperthreading, but that's faff that I haven't bothered with (essentially requiring an additional plugin manager thing for advanced performance stuff).

I think about playing Aegis Rim every now and again, but I can't be arsed. Got enough games to play anyway.

Yes, like all emulation I'm impressed that it runs at all, but I will stick with the more easily handled emulations I think...

20 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I can't wait for GamePass to appear on this.

Ditto. An official app would be great for streaming. I really hope we see Microsoft and steam team up to allow us to install natively through steam instead of using windows and uwp.

30 minutes ago, Giddas said:

Yes, like all emulation I'm impressed that it runs at all, but I will stick with the more easily handled emulations I think...

Virtua Fighter 5's pretty neat. That's good enough.

As for Game Pass, I wouldn't count on it unless it's a similar thing as EA Play on Steam, where it will just be Microsoft-owned games on Steam for an extra fee that's not part of any current Game Pass plan.

25 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Ditto. An official app would be great for streaming. I really hope we see Microsoft and steam team up to allow us to install natively through steam instead of using windows and uwp.

100% GP would really help those of us that are coming from consoles get the most out of the membership.  

6 minutes ago, Giddas said:

Can't see Valve being interested in implementing something that keeps you away from the Steam store. A clean-ish dual boot system into windows would be the best you could hope for.

They already do it with EA

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK