Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

3 minutes ago, Giddas said:

Can't see Valve being interested in implementing something that keeps you away from the Steam store. A clean-ish dual boot system into windows would be the best you could hope for.

Yep. Although if I ever bother with Windows, it will involve plugging an NVME enclosure into the USB port and calling it a day - I'm just waiting for the right USB hub to support that idea that doesn't cost a bomb.

13 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Valve boss floats possibility of Game Pass on Steam

Newell: ‘We’d be more than happy’ to make Xbox Game Pass available through Steam

I mean, both parties are happy for Steam to host Game Pass to some extent, but that doesn't necessarily mean that their intentions align perfectly.

Valve's plan is being a one-stop shop for PC games and taking a reasonable cut for it, while Microsoft wants the service to be on everything - including televisions and phones, so the endgame there is purely hosting a service that streams everything.

In addition, any third party development that ends up on Game Pass would need additional agreements to be part of other storefronts, and with Steam being the 'big' PC revenue stream a lot of those third parties will not agree to that unless they're paid substantially more initially. EA Play on Steam doesn't feature any games from outside of EA's development teams, from what I remember, only EA Play via Origin. It'll be a similar situation, but substantially more voluminous in 'missing' entries.

16 hours ago, Paulando said:

Are you running it through the game/handheld mode, or the desktop mode?

16 hours ago, Siri said:

No, it'll come up as long as you're in SteamOS, non-Steam game or otherwise.

Ah I'm in desktop mode. That would explain it.

Thanks gents

On 13/09/2022 at 12:01, cavalcade said:

Mad Max is on sale for 3 quid or so on Steam. Runs exceptionally well on deck, locked 60 with the details cranked up. Looks amazing (the high contrast desert landscapes suit the smaller screen). It's very much an open world game that puts together systems from a number of other games but the overall package is a good one (it's very competently put together), and it has to be one of the best looking games on Deck that runs comfortably at 60. 

Cheers for the heads up. I'd been meaning to give this another playthrough and it does indeed run beautifully so far. Absolute steal at that price as well.

4 hours ago, Giddas said:

If MS give Valve a big wedge of GP revenue through steam I guess it's possible, can't see that happening personally.

Currently I don’t have a gaming PC, the chance of me buying anything off steam is 0. If I could play all my game pass stuff on the steam deck, I’d be very tempted to buy one. The chance of me then buying anything off steam would be a lot more than 0.

It makes perfect business sense.

38 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Currently I don’t have a gaming PC, the chance of me buying anything off steam is 0. If I could play all my game pass stuff on the steam deck, I’d be very tempted to buy one. The chance of me then buying anything off steam would be a lot more than 0.

It makes perfect business sense.

Conversely I have a Steam Deck and I would buy far fewer Steam games if "native" Game Pass was available.

> Coming back home from a late shift

> Both Judgment games are on Steam and they cost a bomb together

> It's one day before payday

I'm hoping I'll hear that it runs like shit on the Steam Deck and I never have to play them. Please, I need this

4 hours ago, Siri said:

> Coming back home from a late shift

> Both Judgment games are on Steam and they cost a bomb together

> It's one day before payday

I'm hoping I'll hear that it runs like shit on the Steam Deck and I never have to play them. Please, I need this

Apparently they run in 60 on reduced detail but you can pump some settings up and hit 30 or 40 too. So, sorry. I’ve never played them so I’m tempted but not at that price. 

Valve is going big on promoting the Steam Deck at TGS:

Even better, it's being used at TGS for some much anticipated games:

Reminds me of when some people at indie game shows were using the Oculus DK1 to show their VR game, and it was equally as much as a sell on VR as it was the game itself!

Had to finally concede that the steamdeck is killing my left hand.

Using a dualsense 5, works great, until I go to spiderman remastered and it just won't work at all. The touchpad works like a mouse but the controller buttons are disabled, anybody else had this issue?

I have tried disabling steam inputs but didnt fix anything.

28 minutes ago, Bonzai1888 said:

Had to finally concede that the steamdeck is killing my left hand.

Using a dualsense 5, works great, until I go to spiderman remastered and it just won't work at all. The touchpad works like a mouse but the controller buttons are disabled, anybody else had this issue?

I have tried disabling steam inputs but didnt fix anything.

You tried setting the controller order? I'm guessing it's seeing the Dualsense as a second player.

In other news:

Oh no 

56 minutes ago, Siri said:

You tried setting the controller order? I'm guessing it's seeing the Dualsense as a second player.

In other news:

Oh no 

Everything appears to be as it should. Doesn't work with dualshock 4 either....can only spin the camera. Going to need to dig out an xbox controller to see if that works.

I'm hoping to get my email today. When I posted on Monday GetMyDeck showed 89.9%. But it later updated to 94% So maybe. Maybe. And of course Steam just sent me an email. To say Curious Expedition 2 was on sale.

For news people actually care about... clear shots of the dock from the TGS show floor

lwrpdt8kuzn91l.thumb.jpg.b59d79f72d91ac3c0b23678d0a25cc16.jpg

nxx89evitzn91l.thumb.jpg.e395ae57c7c7805399e24a2de41e8914.jpg

Demonstration of how to install and use "Distrobox" on a Steam Deck. Could be useful for anyone who has been finding sticking to Flatpak software a bit limiting, but doesn't want to mess anything up in the OS while trying out other possibilities. Probably not very useful for gaming (I don't believe the distro inside the container will have access to the GPU), but it could be great for someone trying to learn programming for instance.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK