Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

Emudeck is due a massive update. It's adding some nice features such as being able to set screen ratio, Shaders, fillers,  bezels, etc during setup with previews on a per system level. 

8 hours ago, bradigor said:

Emudeck is due a massive update. It's adding some nice features such as being able to set screen ratio, Shaders, fillers,  bezels, etc during setup with previews on a per system level. 

Fantastic, when is that due for release?

Deck moment: looking through my library for games to play. Notice I have The Norwood Suite in my library.

I was not going to play it after playing Off-Peak and Betrayal At Club Low because I was going to have to pay for it at a later time. Turns out I already had it, because it was part of Humble Monthly in 2018 :facepalm:

17 minutes ago, Siri said:

I probably would at that price, too. Weak Yen?

No just went for the 512GB.

Wasnt helped by the fact I also had to drop a monkey for car tax and insurance which is of course due on the same day.

im sure I’ll get over it once it’s in my hands. Just an expensive day.

52 minutes ago, PaB said:

I just spent £565 on a steam deck. I have instant regret.

Ha I was exactly the same after getting the confirmation, 512gb model too.

Alternative shipping question to how long will it take; are these shipped from the UK and come with a UK plug or are they American with their two pronged plugs?

1 minute ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Alternative shipping question to how long will it take; are these shipped from the UK and come with a UK plug or are they American with their two pronged plugs?

Jesus,  you guys are supposed to support me in my time of doubt and uncertainty, not add to my stress

;)

19 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Pretty sure mine came from the Netherlands and with a UK plug

Yeah they ship from the Netherlands. The plug is in a separate little box within the package, obviously makes it easier packaging them at the factory.

If anyone going to order now, if you're a wee bit technically minded I'd suggest saving your money and get a 64GB. You can buy a 256GB or 512GB SSD much cheaper and install it yourself in about 15 minutes.

Mine is now a 256GB system and it worked out £85 cheaper than buying a 256GB from Valve 

@T PotJust pre-ordered a 64GB with the exact same mindset! Do you have a link to hand of which SSD you got? I was going to look later in the year/at Black Friday (SteamDeck rough ETA I guess would be just before Xmas)

5 minutes ago, CBT said:

@T PotJust pre-ordered a 64GB with the exact same mindset! Do you have a link to hand of which SSD you got? I was going to look later in the year/at Black Friday (SteamDeck rough ETA I guess would be just before Xmas)

Mine was a second hand 256GB Micron from CEX. I bought it in store for £25. They did have some on their website if you search 2230.

I did ponder upgrading the SSD in mine but, according to benchmarks, other than write speed, it didn't seem that much of a benefit for gaming over just using a big micro SD.

I picked up a Samsung Evo 512gb from Amazon for 45 although I'm now thinking I should have got their own brand basics 1tb one when it was 93 quid a couple of weeks ago as the reviews seem to be pretty good.

They also had the Lexar 1tb cheap but all reviews seem to say to avoid their cards

28 minutes ago, dfq23 said:

I did ponder upgrading the SSD in mine but, according to benchmarks, other than write speed, it didn't seem that much of a benefit for gaming over just using a big micro SD.

I've read that if you end up putting windows on the thing if you run it plus your games from the SD card you'll end up killing the card pretty quickly.

The other issue is shaders. I had about 400GB of games installed on my SD card and the internal 64GB only had 15GB left due to the shaders on it. 

2 hours ago, T Pot said:

Mine was a second hand 256GB Micron from CEX. I bought it in store for £25. They did have some on their website if you search 2230.

How hard was it, would it void warranty too?.

22 minutes ago, yakumo said:

How hard was it, would it void warranty too?.

Super easy. 12 screws, a couple of clips and you're good to go. I had swapped it out and put the device back together before the my boot USB had finished flashing. 

Their wording seems to sugest if you break something while you're at it, then warranty isn't covered, but they'd still fix other non-related things if they broke. 

1 minute ago, Lorfarius said:

Breath of the Wild runs better than on the Switch, what a system!

Been that way for a while.

But I can't get any Wii U games to run and I don't know why. Got everything else running fine. 

26 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

He seems to suggest a few things in that vid. Might be worth a watch.

Followed multiple guides. Specifically asked questions in the emudeck discord for the emulator Devs and still didn't work. Very strange. 

Also, Emulation Station for me doesn't show the Emulation station banner. It's an Emudeck banner. Very weird. 

I’ve ordered mine tonight, though won’t get it until Christmas.

I haven’t gamed on a computer since my Spectrum, I’ve been consoles all the way since then. Mini OTF has her own gaming laptop which has her Steam account on it, so we can do some family sharing.

I’m pretty excited. Will get some emulators for it, also looking forward to plundering the PC back catalogue that’s never been available to me.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK