Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I really hope someone finds a way to allow booting from an external drive. So I could run a second microsd card via a hub. Or magical way to have dual SD cards via the one slot (I did say magical)

With a little bit of fiddling, Space Marine runs great! Really impressed with the unit so far - can't wait for more officially supported games to come along (and I still dream of game pass being available too)

1 minute ago, Oracle said:

With a little bit of fiddling, Space Marine runs great! Really impressed with the unit so far - can't wait for more officially supported games to come along (and I still dream of game pass being available too)

What did you change? Just installed after seeing you mention it

I'm trying to run the steam version of Fall Guys. It installed the Proton Easycheat, I'm using Proton GE so it actually uses it but I keep getting an Epic account error when I try to start. Has anyone else had this?

3 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Batocera is now working on Steam Deck :omg:

Oooh. I think I’d much prefer this to having everything inside SteamOS. As good as the EmuDeck experience is, it still feels rough around the edges, so I think I’d rather boot into a fully formed emulation frontend like this.

I had a quick read @Flub, and it says that you might have to link your Steam account to Epic Games. If you haven't done that, you should be able to do it via their website.

In other news, I finished Pony Island. It's very good, although playing it on the Steam Deck provided some annoying hiccups, which I can't go though without spoiling the game:

Spoiler

Basically, the Asmodeus bit kind of bugs out at the Memory game when you get control to type again on the virtual keyboard. You basically have to wait for the crash to clear, backspace the code you typed in, and then punch in the code quickly to get it to register.

Just striding through my backlog - well, until this fucking showed up:

Perfect for doot

31 minutes ago, Siri said:

I had a quick read @Flub, and it says that you might have to link your Steam account to Epic Games. If you haven't done that, you should be able to do it via their website.

I

I did that yonks ago when I first got Fall Guys on Steam. It works just fine when I launch it on my gaming PC.

@Siri, and anyone else who uses the Xbox Cloud Gaming app a lot: do you ever have an issue where you select the XCG app from your Steam library and it takes you to the Xbox menu as normal, but this is then immediately replaced with a white screen you can't interact with, forcing you to exit out and reload? It seems to happen to me a good quarter of the time, and seeing as I have to exit out of the XCG app and reload it every time I want to use it, otherwise I get the disconnection error, it's doing my nut.

I'm tempted to reinstall the entire thing and go through the whole process again, as it makes me feel like I've done something wrong when setting it up.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

@Siri, and anyone else who uses the Xbox Cloud Gaming app a lot: do you ever have an issue where you select the XCG app from your Steam library and it takes you to the Xbox menu as normal, but this is then immediately replaced with a white screen you can't interact with, forcing you to exit out and reload? It seems to happen to me a good quarter of the time, and seeing as I have to exit out of the XCG app and reload it every time I want to use it, otherwise I get the disconnection error, it's doing my nut.

I'm tempted to reinstall the entire thing and go through the whole process again, as it makes me feel like I've done something wrong when setting it up.

I've never had that issue. I doubt it's this, but if you're using the User Agent Switcher extension it might be worth checking it's set to the latest version of Edge for Windows.

The thing that drew me to a Deck was the ability to play games I’ve missed out on in the 15 years since I’ve had a “gaming pc”. 

I bought plague inc, vampire survivors and horizon zero dawn (all on sale). That should do me for a while. PlagueInc is great fun. 

I hope Sony release The Last of us on PC at somepoint soon. 

Has anyone tried a Windows-only setup for the SteamDeck?

Don't get me wrong, SteamOS is incredibly impressive in what they've managed to do, and I love Linux and use it all day every day at work. But as a way to avoid all the small incompatibilities, the workarounds for certain games, checking the Verified / Playable status, and being able to install Gamepass games, I'm wondering if it might be a more straightforward route for the sake of a dodgy £15 Windows key from Amazon.

So before I take the plunge, has anyone here tried it? I know Valve have now released Windows drivers for the hardware, but are there any pitfalls, or will it screw performance, or anything like that? Or should I wait for SteamOS 3 and go down the dual boot path?

I've encountered exactly zero compatibility issues so far. The only difficulties I've encountered are trying to play very old mouse-driven games using a controller layout, and that's just because I haven't fully got to grips with Steam Input yet.

With the level of support SteamOS has, and the availability of XCloud, I have no idea why you'd want to go throught he faff of installing Windows on this thing.

Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've seen a few game crashes, and I've occasionally had the controller become unresponsive. XCloud is great when it works, but sometimes just boots to a white screen, and it's not much use out of the house. It feels alien to be thinking of Windows as more reliable than Linux, but for games I wondered if it might be.

Because there are by definition work arounds for many non-Steam things. You are reliant on the community being able to get them running if they can.

As an example in the last week I believe the Blizzard launcher broke. So no Blizz games if you were playing them.

xCloud is great if you've got solid and reliable connections but not really as good as having native games playable is it (from stability and reliability - no comment on streaming tech).

Ive not got mine yet and will be sticking with SteamOS I think but it's easy to see how people who find they need/want to play stuff that doesn't work with a desire to do so.

The real answer of course is dual boot (probably when fully supported).

48 minutes ago, wavey said:

Has anyone tried a Windows-only setup for the SteamDeck?

Don't get me wrong, SteamOS is incredibly impressive in what they've managed to do, and I love Linux and use it all day every day at work. But as a way to avoid all the small incompatibilities, the workarounds for certain games, checking the Verified / Playable status, and being able to install Gamepass games, I'm wondering if it might be a more straightforward route for the sake of a dodgy £15 Windows key from Amazon.

So before I take the plunge, has anyone here tried it? I know Valve have now released Windows drivers for the hardware, but are there any pitfalls, or will it screw performance, or anything like that? Or should I wait for SteamOS 3 and go down the dual boot path?

on a Facebook SD group I was on before I got tired of the guff some of the members were Windows only

I haven't tried it, there's plenty of people on Reddit that have, though. Seems to require a collective suite of software to get Windows to a pick up and play state (mostly whatever replaced GloSC - I think it's GloSI now).

I keep meaning to, but I can't be arsed. If something doesn't play, there's another ten games on the docket to take its place.

36 minutes ago, wavey said:

Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've seen a few game crashes, and I've occasionally had the controller become unresponsive. XCloud is great when it works, but sometimes just boots to a white screen, and it's not much use out of the house. It feels alien to be thinking of Windows as more reliable than Linux, but for games I wondered if it might be.

Nah, Windows looks really janky on the deck. Compatibility is *worse*.

This is a few months out of date but the principle is the same.

If cloud gaming can improve I don’t see the need to put windows on there (for my usage). 

I wonder when older games (looking at you stronghold HD) will get some form of support, especially as when docked mode improves. 

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK