Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

14 hours ago, Siri said:

I had a quick read @Flub, and it says that you might have to link your Steam account to Epic Games. If you haven't done that, you should be able to do it via their website.

In other news, I finished Pony Island. It's very good, although playing it on the Steam Deck provided some annoying hiccups, which I can't go though without spoiling the game:

Reveal hidden contents

Basically, the Asmodeus bit kind of bugs out at the Memory game when you get control to type again on the virtual keyboard. You basically have to wait for the crash to clear, backspace the code you typed in, and then punch in the code quickly to get it to register.

Just striding through my backlog - well, until this fucking showed up:

Perfect for doot

you got this, how does it play on SD? Sounds like the controls might not be there yet?

20 minutes ago, Giddas said:

you got this, how does it play on SD? Sounds like the controls might not be there yet?

For normal controllers, that would be true - the controls aren't there yet.

Thankfully, with the Steam Deck, there's a couple of custom layouts - the most popular one basically allowing both trackpads to move the mouse (and in turn, the pointer on the track), and any face button or trigger to toot. If I had to make any mods it would be to change it to mouse region for quicker changes in pitch, but I'm still just fucking around.

Even better, though, is that it maps mouse movement to the gyro so you're tilting the deck like a jazz lunatic. It's absolutely absurd, and will probably break your wrists during longer sessions, but it works.

11 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

What are virtual menus?

A custom menu (set of buttons) that show up on screen when you press a certain button. These buttons can be bound to controls and therefore allow you to access many additional less commonly used key bindings for your games. The shape and content of the menu is fully customisable

It's going to be useful for a certain type of game. One with too many controls for a controller and many keyboard binds.

I imagine this has been posted a hundred times before, but is there a complete noobs guide to emulation on this thing? There are a few SNES classics I'd like to replay, but also some PS2 and... *cough* Wii U games.

I can show you the original copies, I swear!

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Literally a few posts back.

20 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Batocera is now working on Steam Deck :omg:

This thing? Is this better than EmuDeck, which I've been hearing a lot about?

I've not emulated much before so I don't really know the basics. What's RetroArch, for example?

Retroarch is a customisable software wrapper for many different emulators. It has many different "cores" which are the emulators themselves, allowing you to use a single piece of software to launch games from different platforms.

Emudeck is a script which integrates Retroarch (and other emulators/wrappers) into the SteamOS experience, allowing you to create entries in your steam library to launch specific emulated games.

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

This thing? Is this better than EmuDeck, which I've been hearing a lot about?

I've not emulated much before so I don't really know the basics. What's RetroArch, for example?

Batocera is basically a whole Linux operating system dedicated to running emulators through a front-end, and nothing else. Think like those arcade front-ends like Pandora's Box.

As a result, it doesn't need a lot of space to have all the operating system bits, and requires little more than an SD card or USB drive to operate - the idea being for the Steam Deck (or any PC, or raspberry pi) , you could have this and a load of ROMs on said storage, slap it in and it'll take you into that dedicated environment. It's very nice even if all you got is a clapped out office PC with the hard drive ripped out of it.

I personally think it's kind of unnecessary for the Deck, as Emudeck and Retrodeck are active things, but options are always nice.

What is the dual boot situation on this, I be OK with Linux but ideally wanted something low powered to run Windows to save power and do some work like basic Photoshop for my work.  I know Windows has to run on a SD card if I'm correct, but would that also mean degradation of the sd card in the long term due to wear and tear?. Ideally would love to dual boot on the main drive itself.

29 minutes ago, yakumo said:

What is the dual boot situation on this, I be OK with Linux but ideally wanted something low powered to run Windows to save power and do some work like basic Photoshop for my work.  I know Windows has to run on a SD card if I'm correct, but would that also mean degradation of the sd card in the long term due to wear and tear?. Ideally would love to dual boot on the main drive itself.

I partitioned my internal drive for Windows. There isn't official Valve dual boot support currently, so you have to go through the boot menu to choose which OS to boot (vol - and power button), but it is coming apparently.

2 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I partitioned my internal drive for Windows. There isn't official Valve dual boot support currently, so you have to go through the boot menu to choose which OS to boot (vol - and power button), but it is coming apparently.

Interesting, thank you. 

For those wanting to try dual booting there's a handy guide here

Includes installing a custom bootloader so you can switch between installs without manually going into the boot menu using the power+ vol down buttons

I'll be giving it a go at some point but need to clear some space

28 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Includes installing a custom bootloader so you can switch between installs without manually going into the boot menu using the power+ vol down buttons

Let me know how it goes.

1 hour ago, Hawklord said:

I think that breaks every time there's a Windows update, though.

9 minutes ago, strider said:

Oh man, I completely forgot I own Droplitz on Steam.

Now I have to get one.

Why would you do that to me! I had to get it via other means as I was a filthy console gamer. 

Forgive me but I’m not up to speed and have a question. 

Is the extra money for the higher speed storage worth it over the entry 64gb model with a 512gb SD card? 

Is the ‘high speed’ storage with £150? Is the difference notable?

28 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Forgive me but I’m not up to speed and have a question. 

Is the extra money for the higher speed storage worth it over the entry 64gb model with a 512gb SD card? 

Is the ‘high speed’ storage with £150? Is the difference notable?

It's more about size than speed I'd say. 64Gb is a bit limited with a few games even if they're on an SD card due to 'system files' for each game. But you can upgrade the SSD yourself (some have done it here).

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

It's more about size than speed I'd say. 64Gb is a bit limited with a few games even if they're on an SD card due to 'system files' for each game. But you can upgrade the SSD yourself (some have done it here).

Thanks. Don’t tell me it installs certain game bits in program files like it’s the 90’s. What a crock!

Thinking of ordering one as the lead time does not seem too bad now. 

Yep. If anything, the extra is worth it if you want to have more space for another operating system or to keep all the system files in one place (you can move them onto the SD card, but it might be a faff to keep track of if you're using multiple cards).

The slower storage is eMMC, so about the same speed as an SD card - which is plenty fast for most games on an OS that doesn't have a lot of I/O overhead like Linux.

1 minute ago, Yiggy said:

Thanks. Don’t tell me it installs certain game bits in program files like it’s the 90’s. What a crock!

Thinking of ordering one as the lead time does not seem too bad now. 

It's actually worse - WINE and Proton (what allows this handheld to work as it does) sets up an entire fake Windows directory structure, for each game.

On the bright side, it basically means the game assumes it's running on a fresh Windows install for each game even though it technically isn't due to cribbing from the same translation library, so you don't get the 90s issues of clashing DLL versions.

Sorry if this is obvious but can anyone point me in the direction of "best settings" specifically for Steam Deck games?

There's so many options that it can be overwhelming a bit knowing what works best on a per game basis specifically for the Deck.

Thanks in advance!

17 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Sorry if this is obvious but can anyone point me in the direction of "best settings" specifically for Steam Deck games?

There's so many options that it can be overwhelming a bit knowing what works best on a per game basis specifically for the Deck.

Thanks in advance!

This Reddit thread is useful for some of the more demanding games.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK