Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

There's ShareDeck, but as @Hitcher alludes to, you're mostly better off going with whatever's default, and if it struggles work from there.

personally, my default global performance is set to 11w TDP to keep my deck as cool and quiet as possible while retaining most of the performance benefits, and that's it. A lot of the other tweaks are a per-game basis and if it feels right (for example, if a game is constantly at 41-46fps and barely hits 60, I'll throw the refresh rate to 40hz and have a consistent frametime)

I wouldn't use the system FSR unless it's something with limited upscaling options AND super demanding, like Generation Zero.

Thanks guys!

One other thing - my WiFi is cutting out an alarming number of times - everything else on my network is flawless but the steam deck is losing connection (shows the "!" symbol).

Anyone else has this happen? I read something about power saving but that was months ago.

5 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Thanks guys!

One other thing - my WiFi is cutting out an alarming number of times - everything else on my network is flawless but the steam deck is losing connection (shows the "!" symbol).

Anyone else has this happen? I read something about power saving but that was months ago.

Turn on developer settings then turn off WiFi power management. 

Sorry my Deck is charging in another room right now so can't check the exact menus 

I tend to get it a lot when I take it to work, use it there with no internet connection, and then using it again when I've come back home. The actual internet connection works, but for some reason it doesn't see the Steam Servers.

The only way I've been able to force it to work again (other than waiting ages) is to restart the machine, unfortunately. I would imagine switching to desktop also works, but I tend to just force the restart as a one and done solution to the problem.

19 hours ago, Siri said:

I personally think it's kind of unnecessary for the Deck, as Emudeck and Retrodeck are active things, but options are always nice.

Not tried Retrodeck, but I find EmuDeck a little messy really, and think I’d prefer booting into something like this. It installs lots of stuff, lots of config, some of that config is pretty shit, I’ve had to reinstall a few times because of some issue with said config. I mean, it’s cool and all, but it’s far from a finished product and makes your Deck feel super messy.

The dealbreaker is whether or not the performance is up there, and if you can use Bluetooth controllers and TV out.

3 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

I've stuck a 4 quid deposit down yesterday.  What kind of time-frame are we looking at atm to getting the email?

https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/

It could be measured in weeks. Depends on region and what model.

This post is a good summary of where we're up to now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xih4se/order_email_megathread_september_19_2022/ip3m3su/?context=3

Mostly into July orders now. But they're getting through ~30 days of orders per batch of emails (twice a week).

2 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Has anyone played Final 7,8 or 9 on their Steam Deck? I'm curious how the prerendered backgrounds look. 

Not yet. I would imagine they'll play with borders without mods due to being stuck in 16:9.

From what I remember reading, the non-remastered FF8 doesn't work right, although it might have changed since then.

35 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

Does FF7 on the Steam Deck allow mods by 7th heaven?

Mods are allowed (I mean, it's a PC), it's more if the mod (or in this case, the mod manager) itself is compatible with Linux.

7th heaven doesn't work correctly from having a look, but The Reunion and SYM work fine with manual installation.

For FFIX, Moguri works. Don't know much about FFVIII's mods.

34 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Has anyone tried Trombone Champ on deck? Steam doesn’t mention controller support 

On 21/09/2022 at 11:46, Giddas said:

you got this, how does it play on SD? Sounds like the controls might not be there yet?

On 21/09/2022 at 12:13, Siri said:

For normal controllers, that would be true - the controls aren't there yet.

Thankfully, with the Steam Deck, there's a couple of custom layouts - the most popular one basically allowing both trackpads to move the mouse (and in turn, the pointer on the track), and any face button or trigger to toot. If I had to make any mods it would be to change it to mouse region for quicker changes in pitch, but I'm still just fucking around.

Even better, though, is that it maps mouse movement to the gyro so you're tilting the deck like a jazz lunatic. It's absolutely absurd, and will probably break your wrists during longer sessions, but it works.

doot

I hate myself for asking... Any USB-C based hub recommendations? Mostly for keyboard/mouse but I guess display out would be useful as well.

For my first day I've played Apature Desk Job (good little fun thing), installed a few things to play over the next few days, and setup XCloud.

36 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I hate myself for asking... Any USB-C based hub recommendations? Mostly for keyboard/mouse but I guess display out would be useful as well.

For my first day I've played Apature Desk Job (good little fun thing), installed a few things to play over the next few days, and setup XCloud.

I bought this as a stopgap until the official dock is available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087M3M7T3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14 hours ago, ravnaz said:

I've stuck a 4 quid deposit down yesterday.  What kind of time-frame are we looking at atm to getting the email?

I put my deposit down on 31 July and got my order email today. So one month and three weeks. But the pace has picked up recently so it might not take you as long. 

23 hours ago, ravnaz said:

A friend of mine pre-ordered one on Thursday morning. According to GetMyDeck after the emails on Thursday evening he jumped to 91%. If it's still accurate he'll probably get his invite to buy on Monday.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK