Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

Thing is... As usual a poll won't tell the whole story.

A few who bought 64Gb have upgraded the internal storage since (either knowing they would at purchase time or later after finding it insufficient). It's not particularly tricky but it might be a level of fiddling you don't want.

Got my (512) yesterday after preordering in March (!). Feels great in the hand, not half as big as it looks. Going to enjoy visiting all the wierd Steam games I've collected over the years but never played. And then there's emulation....is everyone going with EmuDeck?

10 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Thing is... As usual a poll won't tell the whole story.

A few who bought 64Gb have upgraded the internal storage since (either knowing they would at purchase time or later after finding it insufficient). It's not particularly tricky but it might be a level of fiddling you don't want.

I admit the price point of the 64GB is why I'm tempted to save up for one, but I know 256GB would be the sweet spot. Ideally only having 2 or 3 games while using as a computer for light computing stuff to save on energy instead of the desktop. 

3 hours ago, Loada said:

Got my (512) yesterday after preordering in March (!). Feels great in the hand, not half as big as it looks. Going to enjoy visiting all the wierd Steam games I've collected over the years but never played. And then there's emulation....is everyone going with EmuDeck?

I've not decided on a an emulation platform yet. I think I'd prefer to go with RetroDeck to keep the install neatly in one package but most chatter seems to be about EmuDeck. It's approach of scripts to install things all over seems bad. Over time this can only lead to crap strewn over the machine that never gets uninstalled.

I just installed Emudeck this evening. It lets you install it all on SD card as an option. Also soon to be released is a full graphical installer. I got it all installed, copied some roms over and it's just as nice as it is on my Ambernic. 

13 hours ago, Flub said:

I've been getting the important stuff sorted

image.thumb.png.504c9aba07d8f2443e2b7bd037962b73.png

Snap, I’ve also got Bubble Bobble installed.  I’ve got classic arcade mame games installed.  I’m slowly adding games I used to play in the arcades as a kid.  I have a mobile arcade in my pocket*

*Rucksack

For emulation I've got emudeck running and it's been pretty flawless. The downside being you need to limit the roms you shove on as they end up in the non-steam library section.

CoinOps Legends Deck v1.0 is decent for MAME / some console titles without cluttering up the UI, and can be found where the punks who hang out in arcades reside. 

Also can we have a poll as to who sniffs their steamdeck vent? Asking for a friend! 😆

Ran into my first update issue today.

I seem to be mostly playing my Deck docked to the living room TV, like a console. Pre-update, it was happily spitting out 1080p@60Hz via my USB hub. After the update, it seems to only want to spit out 4k@24Hz, which makes the whole thing crawl. It also broke the virtual keyboard so that it would no longer let me type my password into FFXIV. Though it did fix an annoying bug on the keyboard where it would skip every other line in docked mode.

To fix this, I opted in to the preview channel, which seems to be the bleeding edge channel. This update added an external monitor resolution switcher, so I was able to set it to 1080p again. It also fixed the virtual keyboard issue.

So beware about jumping to the new update if you play docked or play FFXIV.

2 hours ago, Bonzai1888 said:

Are you playing the one in Steam? If so, what Proton package are you using, it doesn't load up for me at all now.

Yeah, I had to force it to use 6.3-8 and run it with anti cheat disabled when it gives you the option . No multiplayer obvs but the campaign works fine 

Got mine yesterday. What am I meant to do with it 😅? I’ve got Half Life 2, Jet Set Radio and Hotline Miami in my steam library. So I guess I’ll give them a little play.

Any PC exclusives released in the last 10 years that are steam deck verified I should play?

1 hour ago, PaB said:

Yeah, I had to force it to use 6.3-8 and run it with anti cheat disabled when it gives you the option . No multiplayer obvs but the campaign works fine 

Yeah, got that working....no sound for some reason,used to work a treat. Just tried experimental there as suggested by T Pot, wont boot up at all for me.

22 minutes ago, Bonzai1888 said:

Yeah, got that working....no sound for some reason,used to work a treat. Just tried experimental there as suggested by T Pot, wont boot up at all for me.

I had the same thing with the audio. Sorted it by going into the sound settings  in Desktop mode and setting the volume for echo-cancel-sink to 100%.

Experimental works fine for me but iirc I did initially have boot problems and the suggested solution was to go into the game files and delete the Easy Anti Cheat folder and it's contents.

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

Got mine yesterday. What am I meant to do with it 😅? I’ve got Half Life 2, Jet Set Radio and Hotline Miami in my steam library. So I guess I’ll give them a little play.

Any PC exclusives released in the last 10 years that are steam deck verified I should play?

I'd figure that out before spending £350+, personally ;)

To say the quiet part out loud, most exclusive PC games that have been popular and worth playing over the last ten years are probably not exclusive any more - you'll be looking at games that are either bleeding edge, or fell through the cracks for whatever reason.

Of course, someone made a guide on budget games to start newer PC owners off, but given some time, I can have a look at some PC only games that are a little costlier.

Let's say to begin with: Vampire Survivors, Noita, Phantom Abyss, and Omega Strikers as a F2P choice.

Edit: And I can't stress BallisticNG enough, which is in the guide. Lisa as well, although you'll need some constitution for that one.

16 hours ago, Loada said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one in this position!

So far I’ve only set it up for Game Pass streaming. Next step will be some form of arcade and console emulation then I’m gonna look into some of the more quirkier Steam games.

Then I’ll probably sell it on.

Yeah even paradox games come out on consoles these days. Doesn't mean portable stellaris isn't awesome.

That said, there are a lot of strategy or management type games on pc that will never be on consoles or have bad control schemes, and so far I think deck works really well for those, that's mainly what I've been playing since yesterday (I had to turn down the trackpad sensitivity a touch but it's a fantastic feature after that). Well and the new monkey Island which is perfect on deck.

Oh, also last gen multiplatform games that never got updated for the current gen will quite often run much better on deck than on those consoles. Best way to play some of those. 

2 hours ago, jello said:

I had the same thing with the audio. Sorted it by going into the sound settings  in Desktop mode and setting the volume for echo-cancel-sink to 100%.

Experimental works fine for me but iirc I did initially have boot problems and the suggested solution was to go into the game files and delete the Easy Anti Cheat folder and it's contents.

I took it off beta and onto stable,that seems to have done the trick, so far 

I'm going to do more research before buying but hope a few people can answer some questions. I'm very tempted to order one but might wait until Steam OS 3 is out so native dual boot is a thing. I guess there's no refund if you changed you're mind buying it like Apple.