Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

Max Payne 3 runs beautifully. 60fps with most settings on very high but a few at high or default. or you can really hit maximum settings apart from MSAA and cap at 40hz.

MSAA is a bit too intense to max out but the middle setting works nicely at 40.

3 minutes ago, Giddas said:

Monkey Island just launches to black screen, recent patch apparently. You can dick around with proton settings to fix it, but I might wait for it to be fixed properly.

I had that last night. Fixed it with a restart. 

After starting from scratch with a new Deck, I didn’t fancy installing EmuDeck again, so I tried RetroDeck and I’m super impressed. Super clean install with no junk on the desktop or anywhere else, Paper Mario 2 on GameCube worked straight away, and all of the hot keys work (start + select to return to EmulationStation, load and save shortcuts etc). I had to set all of that up on EmuDeck, which was a pain, and I had to change loads of settings manually in desktop mode to get Paper Mario working properly.

Interested to see how it handles Dreamcast stuff as I couldn’t get that looking good at all using the EmuDeck install.

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yeah even paradox games come out on consoles these days. Doesn't mean portable stellaris isn't awesome.

That said, there are a lot of strategy or management type games on pc that will never be on consoles or have bad control schemes, and so far I think deck works really well for those, that's mainly what I've been playing since yesterday (I had to turn down the trackpad sensitivity a touch but it's a fantastic feature after that). Well and the new monkey Island which is perfect on deck.

Oh, also last gen multiplatform games that never got updated for the current gen will quite often run much better on deck than on those consoles. Best way to play some of those. 

Agreed on all counts. I don't get into 4X and grand strategy games all that much, but there's an absolute ton of them outside of Civ that are only on PC, and Trackpads work great for those.

And, yeah, Portable New Vegas, Alpha Protocol and El Shaddai is kinda sick.

Oh, I remembered some other PC only stuff to consider - Ex-Zodiac, Peglin, Roadwarden and Underrail.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK
On 23/09/2022 at 11:31, bobontheway said:

Ran into my first Steam Deck snag yesterday. Tried launching Gloomhaven from the Epic Store using the Heroic Games Launcher. Can’t get past the initial Loading screen :(

wooo, got it working! TLDR, add games manually to Steam and force compatibility don’t do it through Heroic.

7 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

See people talking about a dock for the TV. Does it come with one or is this one you’ve fudged together?

It doesn’t come with one, he’s using a 3rd party dock by Jsaux (I think)

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

How bad? I’m running it in 30fps mode. 

I gave up on it. Granted, I already clocked it on PS4 on release so I wasn’t too bothered.

Once you’re in the open world proper it chugs every time you move into a new spot as (I think) it loads more of the world in. When I say ‘new spot’ it’s not a marked area, it’s just as you move across the world. You can improve performance by dropping graphics down but it took it to the point that it looked pretty bad so I gave up. YMMV of course but I imagine blowing it up on a big screen is not going to do you any favours!

Please let me/the thread know how you get on, I might have just been doing something wrong.

I remember when I first started it I had it running at 40 on high settings and it looked stunning. Then I realised as I got further that bit was inside so of course it was under a lot less stress at that point.

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

I gave up on it. Granted, I already clocked it on PS4 on release so I wasn’t too bothered.

Once you’re in the open world proper it chugs every time you move into a new spot as (I think) it loads more of the world in. When I say ‘new spot’ it’s not a marked area, it’s just as you move across the world. You can improve performance by dropping graphics down but it took it to the point that it looked pretty bad so I gave up. YMMV of course but I imagine blowing it up on a big screen is not going to do you any favours!

Please let me/the thread know how you get on, I might have just been doing something wrong.

did you try upping the graphics memory from 1 to 4gig in the bios?

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

Considering the history of the Horizon ZD port job being dogshit at launch, and that there's people on the Steam forums having problems keeping things above 60fps with much more powerful computers, you're probably not doing anything wrong.

I am curious how a DLSS to FSR 2.0 mod would help, but ultimately it's a very low priority compared to.. well, everything else on PC, including other Sony stablemates.

1 minute ago, Oracle said:

did you try upping the graphics memory from 1 to 4gig in the bios?

SteamOS manages this on the fly, FYI. it works as a thing if you ever install Windows on it, mind.

I thought it was massively disappointing and repetitive, does very little with the open world and isn't a very clever game mechanically. I know people disagree but I just don't see what's so appealing about the game. Emulate BOTW or something.

I thought Zero Dawn was great, the sequel was quite disappointing though. 

I recently got the 64gb Deck and I’m running into space issues (what a surprise), what SSD do people recommend buying? I know one was mentioned here a while back but I can’t find it now. 

43 minutes ago, SMD said:

I thought it was massively disappointing and repetitive, does very little with the open world and isn't a very clever game mechanically. I know people disagree but I just don't see what's so appealing about the game. Emulate BOTW or something.

I do wish it had the glide mechanic

41 minutes ago, Radish said:

I recently got the 64gb Deck and I’m running into space issues (what a surprise), what SSD do people recommend buying? I know one was mentioned here a while back but I can’t find it now. 

IIRC, any 2230 sized SSD that's NVME and has a single memory chip on one size should work just fine.

The brands that are usually bandied about is the Western Digital SN530, Kingston OM3PDP3, Toshiba/Kioxia BG4, and Hynix BC711.

The Kingston was originally used for the Steam Deck, but it was replaced because Kingston replaced the product line (hence why all the hubbub about slower ssds in newer units).

There's been talk about Microcenter in the US starting to sell 1TB 2230 SSDs under their own-brand, Inland, which eventually filters to Amazon (where we can buy it from). But a whole lot of them require dealing with eBay as there's not really a retail presence for this size of SSD.

While I think about it, I might fire an email to the seller of Inland stuff on Amazon to see if they have any plans selling the one mentioned. Better than hoping and praying, at least.

I'm finding it the perfect way to play, of all things, American Truck Simulator!

If you're trying this out, couple of points: by default it actually plays the native Linux port, which has really crap performance. Use the compatibility settings to force it to use proton for an instant free 20fps boost. Performance is then mostly very good but can drop to mid 30s in cities, and that's not really affected much by graphics settings as far as I can tell, the game must be quite CPU bound. To smooth the frames out I've locked to 40 (which saves a bit battery anyway).

It's totally a great way to play a game like that.