Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

39 minutes ago, deerokus said:

If you're trying this out, couple of points: by default it actually plays the native Linux port, which has really crap performance. Use the compatibility settings to force it to use proton for an instant free 20fps boost. 

This is very good advice for a lot of games with native Linux ports, sadly. A lot of them are simply not maintained enough to the point where a translation layer is outperforming them.

Good examples being the Borderlands series and the rebooted Tomb Raider series. I believe that Feral, the company behind the Tomb Raider Linux/MacOS ports along with a lot of other games , actually folded their porting arm of the business because of the work done on DXVK, although they have also brought out more modern tools that exist in Proton, like Game Mode.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I'm finding it the perfect way to play, of all things, American Truck Simulator!

If you're trying this out, couple of points: by default it actually plays the native Linux port, which has really crap performance. Use the compatibility settings to force it to use proton for an instant free 20fps boost. Performance is then mostly very good but can drop to mid 30s in cities, and that's not really affected much by graphics settings as far as I can tell, the game must be quite CPU bound. To smooth the frames out I've locked to 40 (which saves a bit battery anyway).

It's totally a great way to play a game like that.

I found this in my Steam pile of shame and I totally agree with this sentiment. It's completely compelling to just cruise around listing to the radio, obeying the rules of the road and just enjoying the views. And parking is like a kind of puzzle game! I've found myself watching YouTube videos to teach myself how to back up a "rig" and I think it's finally clicking.

Didn't know about the Linux port, I'll definitely try using the Proton version!

24 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

That sounds shit and fiddly?

Why doesn't steam just force it to download the windows version when it detects its being downloaded to a deck? 

Because it could vary per game. Who decides when the Windows version is better than Linux for Steam Deck? Maybe the Windows version won't run because it includes some launcher shit or maybe it just performs terribly with Proton for some reason.

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

That sounds shit and fiddly?

Why doesn't steam just force it to download the windows version when it detects its being downloaded to a deck? 

Maybe sometimes the Linux version runs better. I know some fairly modern games run Linux native on the Steam Deck by default. Dead Cells is one.

On 23/09/2022 at 17:43, Stigweard said:

Heroic Launcher isn't working for me anymore, is anyone else having the same issue? I can't sync cloud saves or update anything. Is there a fix?

Anyone? 

I can't find a fix so am I going to have to redo it all do you think?

Trying to launch Cyberpunk on my deck, and getting this error in a fucking Windows error box:

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Have reinstalled without success. Tried forcing proton experimental without success. Tried lots of different versions of proton and the experimental and stable OS.

Any ideas, before I refund this fucking game for the second time?

15 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Trying to launch Cyberpunk on my deck, and getting this error in a fucking Windows error box:

Have reinstalled without success. Tried forcing proton experimental without success.

Any ideas, before I refund this fucking game for the second time?

Is it the steam version or Gog? I've tried the Steam version with Proton GE and it works fine.

10 hours ago, Radish said:

I thought Zero Dawn was great, the sequel was quite disappointing though. 

I recently got the 64gb Deck and I’m running into space issues (what a surprise), what SSD do people recommend buying? I know one was mentioned here a while back but I can’t find it now. 

https://www.lambda-tek.com/DELL-AB292880~sh/B45379169

Says second hand but likely just pulled from laptops or Surface tablets.

Change the postage to standard and comes in at less than 19 quid delivered 

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Is it the steam version or Gog? I've tried the Steam version with Proton GE and it works fine.

Steam. But I don’t have P-GE installed. Never used it. Know nothing about it. Doesn’t appear to be a requirement from the Steam Store page. Is there a good idiot’s guide for installing/using it?

Edit: Found one on RPS, will give it a go.

Edit 2: Tried launching from desk top and it worked. Went back to Steam and it bloody worked. Ho hum.

47 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Sorry if I missed you talking about it earlier, but what are you using as a dock? Cheers.

Docking Station for Steam Deck HB0602 (jsaux.com)

Seems nicely built. 

13 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Not yet, was hoping there might be a work around incase reinstalling meant having to redo my settings and reinstalling games 

I have refunded it twice now already....just doesn't run well enough to put the time in, especially when the PS5 one runs so much better.

I did find though that the gog version runs the best especially from desktop (I bought the steam one last week to try it, took a bit of fannying about to get it to load mind you) and it barely hits 30fps...its just too choppy on the deck.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Not yet, was hoping there might be a work around incase reinstalling meant having to redo my settings and reinstalling games 

I don't think so - usually on Linux uninstalling something leaves the settings files and so on behind.

44 minutes ago, DUKENUKEM2UK said:

Finally got around to setting mine up tonIght  real nice bit of kit not but any emu on it yet.

Just been looking steamdeck ticked games  do we have a list of must have games on it ?

No generic list because if they're next to useless on most platforms I'd say that goes twice as much for SteamDeck which has a range of games that are the envy of any platform.

Really depends what type of experiences you want.

Grand strategy? Generic FPS? Indie darling? Cinematic wish I was a movie? Bullet hell 2D shoot-em up? Arcade racer?

Dip in bite size chunks? Engaging long session stuff? 2 hour one and done? 100 hour epics?

Mostly, search Steam and then reference ProtonDB to see how it runs (if it's not in the deck approved list). Obviously any "Top X" PC list is a good ideas starting point too.

9 hours ago, DUKENUKEM2UK said:

Finally got around to setting mine up tonIght  real nice bit of kit not but any emu on it yet.

Just been looking steamdeck ticked games  do we have a list of must have games on it ?

As @thesnwmn mentions, this translates to 'find me a needle in a haystack' on PC. You're going to have to be picky on a platform that basically encompasses the entirety of videogame history.

But hey, if you want to see some games that are PC only at the moment, covers a pretty wide range of genres, reviewed as generally well respected, and you can fit ten of them in a £20 budget, I did some scribbles about that.

I might retread the article at some point next month, considering I've played a bunch more free/cheap games that have been great fun, and Vampire Survivors has had a price revision. I did want to write about F2P model games as well, but Path of Exile soured my urge to recommend anything other than static, self-contained experiences.

I’m eagerly awaiting for my SD to arrive hopefully this week. 

I see a few of you talking about installing different versions of Proton etc. Is the one it comes with generally not the one to go for? Or can you install others and choose which one to use? 

Is there a good getting started guide anywhere I can read in preparation that doesn’t require trawling through a lot of posts on here? 

9 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I see a few of you talking about installing different versions of Proton etc. Is the one it comes with generally not the one to go for? Or can you install others and choose which one to use? 

Is there a good getting started guide anywhere I can read in preparation that doesn’t require trawling through a lot of posts on here? 

You can choose which to use per game but it's not really necessary to mess with that right away unless there's some specific game that won't work out of the box you simply have to play. It's not difficult to install anyway.

This Reddit thread explains it: 

It's primarily beneficial to non-steam games.

10 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Don't worry about it. Play stuff.

If you hit any issues then ask (or ask Google for an immediate answer).

Sometimes different versions of Proton can offer slightly different compatibility or performance profiles. There is a tool "ProtonUp-Qt" that can be installed from the desktop that lets you install more versions of Proton and change the default. Steam lets you set the specific version to use (from those installed) for each game. Again, ignore this crap until you need it.

The SteamDeck's biggest pro and its biggest con are its community. They overwhelm anyone coming in and make sure it's difficult to treat the machine anything like a console. There is so much cool stuff that can be done but I think a lot of it risks confusing and frustrating the less technically savvy (not suggesting that's you here Yiggy).

Edit: Although the video codec licencing issue deekorus mentions were unknown to me and interesting. That's going to be annoying going forward depending on how widespread it is.

Yeah I don't know how common that is.

There's also the proton experimental option available in the default OS that will probably sort out any compatibility problems before messing with GE.

I think some of this comes from early users having a lot of bugs and compatibility issues which have been largely rectified. The software and compatibility stuff is now pretty stable I have found.  Only issues I have had of the 15 or so games I've tried have been with the aforementioned American Truck Simulator thing which is an easy fix and a poorly optimised Koei Tecmo game - those always seem poorly optimised on PC, it doesn't run any better on my more powerful windows laptop.

It's magical at times. Max Payne 3 man, on the deck with the settings I've gone for it looks like a PS4 game, but runs better than it would on PS4 if it was. Great PC port.

Yep. You don't actually have to be concerned about what version of Proton you're running until it's actually a problem.

A lot of games are moving away from licensed third party video/audio codecs nowadays, but of course developers and publishers can be stubborn - and on a handheld like this you're capable of playing the entire gamut of what's out there, middleware-laden and all.

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yeah I don't know how common that is.

Experienced it in about two or three games so far. And I could swear it wasn't there when I first played Inertial Drift a few months ago, but has been appearing a few weeks ago. Solved by using another Proton version though.

I know shipping talk is boring as sin...but:

Out for delivery 24.09 with no time slot. Out for delivery 25.09 with a time slot. On its way to the courier this morning. Doubtful it ever comes!

Interesting how Evri are always absolutely fine with low-value stuff I don't care about.