Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

21 hours ago, Yiggy said:

That sounds shit and fiddly?

Why doesn't steam just force it to download the windows version when it detects its being downloaded to a deck? 

Developers can specify this, for games that are verified/playable on Steam Deck. You can also request Valve specifically test the Windows build rather than Linux when doing Steam Deck compatibility checks. So it'll vary by game, and by how much the developer engages with the Deck verification system.

And, of course, whether or not the developer is still supporting that game, or if they even still exist.

It can well be the case that the game runs better in its native Linux form until some version of Proton gives even better performance, but if nobody's around to specifically verify that, there's nothing you can do. And frankly, devs have more to concern themselves with than continually checking if existing games are any better on Deck this month than they were last month.

I pre ordered a steam deck way back but had to decline the reservation back in June due to circumstances. I made another reservation on the 4th of September, 64GB model, and I just received the option to buy one. Less than a month later.

6 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Where do you guys buy your SD cards? I keep hearing about fake cards everywhere.

Amazon but make sure it's sold and fulfilled by Amazon and not a third party to avoid fakes

46 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Amazon but make sure it's sold and fulfilled by Amazon and not a third party to avoid fakes

Even that isn't 100% guaranteed. If someone's sales are fulfilled by Amazon their stock just gets jumbled up with Amazon's. Can mean fakes get mixed in.

On 23/09/2022 at 13:54, Simmy said:

About a week and a half maximum away from getting your email to pay. I'd estimate you get the email next Thursday evening.

You have 16 days, 20 hours, 16 minutes and 37 seconds worth of pre-orders to go until it is your turn (not real time)

You're 96.09 % of the way there!

I fucking got one!

...although I'm having issues setting up Xbox Cloud Gaming.

I followed this guide:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

and yet Edge doesn't seem to open directly to the Xbox cloud gaming website, then when I do navigate there and play a game it doesn't recognise any attached controller.

Anybody got any ideas what I might be missing?

21 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I fucking got one!

...although I'm having issues setting up Xbox Cloud Gaming.

I followed this guide:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

and yet Edge doesn't seem to open directly to the Xbox cloud gaming website, then when I do navigate there and play a game it doesn't recognise any attached controller.

Anybody got any ideas what I might be missing?

Every issue I've seen here has been someone typing the commands somehow.

For the launch issue normally it's adding or losing spaces in the middle of it somewhere. It must all be one line of text with the correct number of spaces. There should be a space after the @@ before you add the the extra bit to the the existing content.

The controller one means the command in the console (konsole) didn't work. I had this issue myself. Try re-running it.

A mouse and keyboard help so so much to do this stuff accurately.

35 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Every issue I've seen here has been someone typing the commands somehow.

For the launch issue normally it's adding or losing spaces in the middle of it somewhere. It must all be one line of text with the correct number of spaces. There should be a space after the @@ before you add the the extra bit to the the existing content.

The controller one means the command in the console (konsole) didn't work. I had this issue myself. Try re-running it.

A mouse and keyboard help so so much to do this stuff accurately.

Thanks - re-entered both commands and it works perfectly now.

Does anybody have a decent screen protector recommendation?

6 hours ago, Isaac said:

Thanks - re-entered both commands and it works perfectly now.

Does anybody have a decent screen protector recommendation?

And a matte one as well if anyone has found a decent one. 

7 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

Why put one one at all?

For the 512 model, this is the right mindset. It's supposed to mess with the etched anti-glare screen. I got one for my cheaper model screen as I take the deck to work, but with screen replacements being stocked at iFixit I might consider binning it off.

Anyway - a new Steam Next Fest is today, so there's a bunch of demos flooding into the store in preparation for that. I tried some that have caught my eye already - they've all worked on deck in some form, but are just a bit pap in general :lol: the demo for Season should be available soon, though - there's a listing, but the download isn't available yet.

So I tried to order mine last night after getting the e-mail. I tried to put it through and it just got stuck on working after I tried to pay. I then lost it, it did not show in my purchase history and going back on the steam deck page it asks me if I want to pre-order again.

Go to steam support to try and query it, go onto purchases and it say's it's payment pending, did anyone else have that? I have still queried it with Steam despite it being there as I don't see why it would not just go through straight away?

21 minutes ago, Siri said:

For the 512 model, this is the right mindset. It's supposed to mess with the etched anti-glare screen. I got one for my cheaper model screen as I take the deck to work, but with screen replacements being stocked at iFixit I might consider binning it off.

I'd say a screen protector is pointless in all cases. What does everyone do with their stuff that warrants this? 🤣

7 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

I'd say a screen protector is pointless in all cases. What does everyone do with their stuff that warrants this? 🤣

The anti glare is worth it alone 

26 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

I've already launched it out of its case onto the floor once already.

It's natural to think this sort of shit won't happen to you. Until, uh, it does.

15 minutes ago, Siri said:

I've already launched it out of its case onto the floor once already.

It's natural to think this sort of shit won't happen to you. Until, uh, it does.

Daaaammmnnnn!

FWIW - I don't even drop my phone (which also doesn't have a screen protector).  Completely jinxed it now though.

1 hour ago, ravnaz said:

Use it!

I had a small but deep scratch on my iPhone 12 Pro Max from the first week of owning it. No idea how as I’m super careful. My OG Switch had scratches (from the dock, I presume). My wife has dropped and smashed the screen on her phone.

So yes, I’ve put a glass screen protector on my 256GB Deck, my 14 Pro Max and OLED Switch. You really wouldn’t know they’re there when they’ve been fit correctly. Non-glass ones are awful though, and I wouldn’t put one on a 512GB because of the coating.