Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I like to live dangerously, so there's no screen protector on my Deck. There's also none on my telly, and frankly with a two year old running around and learning the joys of parabolic trajectories, there's more risk of that getting damaged than anything.

Yup - I've never done screen protectors on anything - same with Switch... nothing on that either.  Everything is perfectly fine and I've never had a problem, no scratches, no cracks, no nothing - but then as I said, I don't drop my stuff. 

@Isaacyou need a dedicated pocket for your phone and only your phone 😉

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

And yet I've never used one and never had a scratched screen.

Although I'm in the never dropped a phone and organised pocket groups.

I drop my phone an the time and end up with all kinds in my pocket. My phone is fucked. 

I've got a 2 year old smashing the place up. My SD is in a case and has a screen protector on. So does my phone and my wifes phone. 

I was in the "I've never smashed a phone before" group. Then I had a Surface Duo with no case and punctured a hole right through it in 3 weeks. 

3 hours ago, Luseth said:

So I tried to order mine last night after getting the e-mail. I tried to put it through and it just got stuck on working after I tried to pay. I then lost it, it did not show in my purchase history and going back on the steam deck page it asks me if I want to pre-order again.

Go to steam support to try and query it, go onto purchases and it say's it's payment pending, did anyone else have that? I have still queried it with Steam despite it being there as I don't see why it would not just go through straight away?

Same thing happened to me. Do it on a proper browser instead of your phone. Also had to end the “payment pending” transaction before it would let me, there’s a screen to cancel your orders somewhere.

14 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Same thing happened to me. Do it on a proper browser instead of your phone. Also had to end the “payment pending” transaction before it would let me, there’s a screen to cancel your orders somewhere.

Thank you :) I figured it out before reading your post but yes it was the same issue, it seem's to have trouble with the extra protection with the bank accounts but it looks like it has gone through and payment sent now ^_^ 

Quite excited :D 

37 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Texture caching. Only does it on first load. I'm sure the deck has some fancy way of doing it on the fly or something.

Yep, it's called 'the constant updates that every cunt is complaining about'.

The alternative to that is either what @Oracle is experiencing now or stuttering during gameplay.

I actually don't mind a game pre-caching everything the first time around if it means it doesn't shit the bed later.

Not that Horizon PC port doesn't have the capability to shit the bed regardless, obv.

Wow, this thing is an absolute emulation beast, isn't it?

Tried out Streets of Rage 2 and Super Mario 64 (of course) and both run perfectly. I imagine GBA games are going to look incredible on this screen.

What are people emulating?

What's the best version of Outrun I can emulate on this thing?

34 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Wow, this thing is an absolute emulation beast, isn't it?

Tried out Streets of Rage 2 and Super Mario 64 (of course) and both run perfectly. I imagine GBA games are going to look incredible on this screen.

What's the best version of Outrun I can emulate on this thing?

This is a big thing for me when I get one. 

You using emu deck?

3 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Texture caching.

Shader caching, I'm pretty sure.

11 hours ago, ravnaz said:

Yup - I've never done screen protectors on anything - same with Switch... nothing on that either.

I've scratched my Switch just taking it in and out of the dock (thankfully made invisible after I applied a film screen protector after the fact).

I don't like screen protectors on phones, because the feeling of glass is much better. You don't touch the screen of a handheld as much as a phone though, particularly a handheld with touchpads for mouse emulation like the Deck.

Anyone have tips on getting non steam games (gog for instance) to run as well as their steam counterparts?

Without the shader cache, which steam utilises, it seems a lost cause. It's a shame cause I don't really want to have to double dip on things like Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk just to have them run from Steam with shader cache :(

11 hours ago, T Pot said:

I was in the "I've never smashed a phone before" group. Then I had a Surface Duo with no case and punctured a hole right through it in 3 weeks. 

Surfaces seem to break even if you just think about a cracked screen.

I cannot believe how good GBA games look on this thing. 

The whole gridline shader just makes them look made for it. I think I read somewhere that the GBA has close to exactly a quarter the pixels of the Steam Deck too, so it upscales almost pixel-perfectly.

Whatever it is it looks incredible.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

I played through the campaign of Ridge Racer 7 and a fair amount of Virtua Fighter 2 and 5 Final Showdown.

48 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Anyone have tips on getting non steam games (gog for instance) to run as well as their steam counterparts?

Without the shader cache, which steam utilises, it seems a lost cause. It's a shame cause I don't really want to have to double dip on things like Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk just to have them run from Steam with shader cache :(

I heard that enabling something called ASync might alleviate matters on non-steam stuff, but I haven't ever used it, even on Steam.

I'm guessing you're using Heroic for that stuff - reading ProtonDB, it's supposed to be something in the WINE Extensions tab for any particular game, while using Proton/Wine GE. Turn on 'Async' and 'VKD3D'.

8 hours ago, Isaac said:

I cannot believe how good GBA games look on this thing. 

The whole gridline shader just makes them look made for it. I think I read somewhere that the GBA has close to exactly a quarter the pixels of the Steam Deck too, so it upscales almost pixel-perfectly.

Whatever it is it looks incredible.

GBA is 240x160, which scales to 1200x800 perfectly. Deck is 1280x800. That's actually 25 times more pixels, not 4 times :)

8 hours ago, Siri said:

I played through the campaign of Ridge Racer 7 and a fair amount of Virtua Fighter 2 and 5 Final Showdown.

I heard that enabling something called ASync might alleviate matters on non-steam stuff, but I haven't ever used it, even on Steam.

I'm guessing you're using Heroic for that stuff - reading ProtonDB, it's supposed to be something in the WINE Extensions tab for any particular game, while using Proton/Wine GE. Turn on 'Async' and 'VKD3D'.

You're right and as far as I know that works for DX11 games but not DX12 games like Cyberpunk.

44 minutes ago, Simmy said:

You're right and as far as I know that works for DX11 games but not DX12 games like Cyberpunk.

I'm guessing that's why the ProtonDB entry suggests turning on VKD3D as well - I believe that's the handler for DX12 instructions, from my time looking into getting Xenia running on the deck.

Today's random toy on SteamDeck... Lego Bricktales demo.

I'd seen images for this in passing before with a big portal that made me think of dimensions which I never got interested in even as a Lego and games fan. But this isn't that at all. That imagery is misleading.

In small 3D worlds you explore and build things to help you solve problems like crossing gaps or get up cliffs. The building is pretty smooth and it actually requires that they're structurally stable with a nice simulation mode where a little robot attempts to cross or climb your structure. you keep trying until it stops falling apart!

Looks like it could be a very chilled little explore/build/puzzle experience. Its quality will depend entirely on the quality and variety of its builds (and its price) but I'm interested.

And it runs perfectly on Deck even though it's got no rating yet (it is platinum on ProtonDb).

Using the Edge Browser, and the User Agent Switcher and Manager extension to ensure I’m viewed as a Windows 10 user, I have got Xbox Cloud Gaming running like an absolute dream.

60fps Forza :wub:

But first I’ll be continuing my love affair with Sea of Thieves and getting stuck into Tunic.

Thank God for the £1 upgrade trick. 3 years of handheld Xbox gaming :)

2 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

Using the Edge Browser, and the User Agent Switcher and Manager extension to ensure I’m viewed as a Windows 10 user, I have got Xbox Cloud Gaming running like an absolute dream.

60fps Forza :wub:

But first I’ll be continuing my love affair with Sea of Thieves and getting stuck into Tunic.

Thank God for the £1 upgrade trick. 3 years of handheld Xbox gaming :)

Another thing I'm interested in.

Is XCG not a straight forward setup, then?