Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

4 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

Another thing I'm interested in.

Is XCG not a straight forward setup, then?

MS offer their own instructions for it. Simply search and it's often the top result. It's not actually hard but it is fiddly because you need to type/copy some strings from the page into dialogue.

But there's an extra step (I've not done yet) that they don't document to tweak your user agent string so you get the best stream quality.

21 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

MS offer their own instructions for it. Simply search and it's often the top result. It's not actually hard but it is fiddly because you need to type/copy some strings from the page into dialogue.

But there's an extra step (I've not done yet) that they don't document to tweak your user agent string so you get the best stream quality.

I’ll write up what I did with a couple of screenshots later once I’ve finished work. I mostly cobbled it together from a couple of Reddit posts. It’s very simple.

1 hour ago, ravnaz said:

Another thing I'm interested in.

Is XCG not a straight forward setup, then?

Follow these instructions from MS --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

Then install the User Agent Switcher and Manager extension for the Microsoft Edge Browser.

Once that is installed change your user agent to a Windows 10 Edge agent and "Apply (ALL Windows)".

20220928145706_1.thumb.jpg.6bce7b375d68fcd647a3affdc96ecac9.jpg

That's the one I'm using. I just picked the newest one.

Then I've enabled white list mode to just apply these changes to any xbox.com domain.

20220928145718_1.thumb.jpg.091bbb8ba3af18d94a6a57e693240f91.jpg20220928145751_1.thumb.jpg.d8f4e6cd4ebfa9b35337b0942100de93.jpg

Then simply boot your Xbox Cloud Gamine/Edge Browser shortcut from the Steam Deck Game Mode and enjoy some good quality 60 fps streaming 😄

20220928145921_1.thumb.jpg.02ea8295a1376e4f6d62e1624c25f53d.jpg

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

How much of a boost does that net you, resolution/quality wise?

Without the user agent change Forza Horizon 5 maxed out at 30fps. Afterwards it ran in one of the 60fps modes. Dunno the resolution. Isn't XCloud 720p as standard? That's fine on a Steamdeck (Forza looked great).

Forza 5 runs for me in 60fps and I haven’t done the user agent change. I can run it at 30fps but that’s changing from the frame rate to quality mode in the settings. Any 60fps series game runs at 60 for me, too fortnite included.

Is there a noticeable uptick in general quality? The screen resolution is 720p yes but it doesn’t often hit that, you get artifacting and it can be a bit muddy.

The user agent change doesn't affect framerate as far as I know, but it definitely improves image clarity. I think it streams at a lower bitrate or something if it detects a Linux user agent.

I've been enjoying playing some snooker and pool games on this. But unfortunately none of them have managed to nail everything. 

Ones with good controls lack decent assuming aids for accessibility, or ones that have good aiming options lack decent controls. 

I'd love Snooker 19's controls with Virtual Pool 4's aiming options. 

But between them (also Pure Pool and Cue Club 2) it scratches that itch I get sometimes. 

34 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Are Microsoft really that petty lol

No. They've continually (I think) demonstrated they want xCloud everywhere. Everyone using that service. Regardless of device. It's all money in their pockets.

In this case the why is here...

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Are Microsoft really that petty lol

As thesnwmn said, I don't think it was a malicious decision, just a practical one. There are a bazillion different flavours of Linux, but none of them are the primary focus for xcloud at the mo. By defaulting to basic settings they can offer it to Linux browsers without worrying so much about how to optimise for the different options just yet, although they're apparently working on something better.

If they wanted to be petty they could just block Linux users entirely, but then why would they want to? ;)

11 hours ago, bradigor said:

I've been enjoying playing some snooker and pool games on this. But unfortunately none of them have managed to nail everything. 

I'm surprised nobody's taken a stab at some hyper realistic pool game, ala Rockstar's Table Tennis. Surely there's enough processing power to render puffs of procedurally generated chalk clouds coming off the cue. Although saying that, the last proper pool game I played was Arcade Pool 2 in my infancy of playing PC games on our family's new Tiny computer.

Still trudging through Murder by Numbers and hating my walnut brain when it comes to Nonograms. I'm going to have to have a break and play a couple of walking sims which require no effort to beat in a bid to feel more clever. Not sure how many I've got left on the Steam Deck, though.

Maybe I'll just play through New Vegas again, I know enough of that game that it's basically a walking sim to me. Especially across Deathclaw Promontory :lol:

2 hours ago, Dukesy said:

Blimey. Thanks @bobontheway for the Xbox Cloud Gaming guide. Making those changes made a huge difference. 

I just tried a few different games and everyone was perfect.

No problem. Glad I could help :) Reddit was full of conflicting/confusing advice and this was the simplest way I could find to see a difference in quality.

21 hours ago, bobontheway said:

Follow these instructions from MS --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

Then install the User Agent Switcher and Manager extension for the Microsoft Edge Browser.

Once that is installed change your user agent to a Windows 10 Edge agent and "Apply (ALL Windows)".

20220928145706_1.thumb.jpg.6bce7b375d68fcd647a3affdc96ecac9.jpg

That's the one I'm using. I just picked the newest one.

Then I've enabled white list mode to just apply these changes to any xbox.com domain.

20220928145718_1.thumb.jpg.091bbb8ba3af18d94a6a57e693240f91.jpg20220928145751_1.thumb.jpg.d8f4e6cd4ebfa9b35337b0942100de93.jpg

Then simply boot your Xbox Cloud Gamine/Edge Browser shortcut from the Steam Deck Game Mode and enjoy some good quality 60 fps streaming 😄

20220928145921_1.thumb.jpg.02ea8295a1376e4f6d62e1624c25f53d.jpg

Gonna give this a go, many thanks! Where do you find the extensions needed?

I tried the instructions from MS and everything went crazy. So much so that my Steam Deck was stuck in a boot loop. 

Managed to get it back working by flashing the whole thing from USB via recovery mode.

It's back working now, have installed EmuDeck and played a bit of OutRun and Test Drive on PS2. This is great. 

Also installed Coin Ops too. 

Will try again for Gamepass cloud streaming. 

33 minutes ago, Spleen said:

I tried the instructions from MS and everything went crazy. So much so that my Steam Deck was stuck in a boot loop. 

Managed to get it back working by flashing the whole thing from USB via recovery mode.

It's back working now, have installed EmuDeck and played a bit of OutRun and Test Drive on PS2. This is great. 

Also installed Coin Ops too. 

Will try again for Gamepass cloud streaming. 

WTF! Installing Edge did that? (because it's only that and the flatpak command that really do anything to the system).

Anyone else had a recent one which has used EVRI to deliver it? My cousins was delivered apparently but nothing...

Trying to get in touch with them is like ramming your head through a keyhole too from past experiences. Anyone that has one on the way be careful! 

Mine arrived last night. It’s BIG. First impressions of the hardware are very positive.

Initially I was a bit struck by too much choice in terms of what to do with the machine, but today I got Edge installed for some GamePass Cloud fun. Still need to change the user agent on Edge, but the image quality looked okay to me trying out Deathloop. 

19 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Anyone else had a recent one which has used EVRI to deliver it? My cousins was delivered apparently but nothing...

Trying to get in touch with them is like ramming your head through a keyhole too from past experiences. Anyone that has one on the way be careful! 

Yeah so I have been waiting a couple of weeks now -- Evri told me it was out for delivery last Saturday, then last Sunday, then their tracking said a delay, and nothing has shifted since then.

There are two ways people say you can speak to a real person -- one is to phone a number they don't publish, claim you're sending a parcel, give them a known good tracking number (I saw one on reddit), then when you get a person say 'Not really, I want to talk about this other parcel'.

Or - what I did - send an email to their CEO. Within 24 hours I got a call from someone on the team who has insisted it'll be investigated and he'll update me by Friday. I'd rather know if it was lost (or stolen) so at least I can get Valve shipping a new one out!

3 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Yeah so I have been waiting a couple of weeks now -- Evri told me it was out for delivery last Saturday, then last Sunday, then their tracking said a delay, and nothing has shifted since then.

There are two ways people say you can speak to a real person -- one is to phone a number they don't publish, claim you're sending a parcel, give them a known good tracking number (I saw one on reddit), then when you get a person say 'Not really, I want to talk about this other parcel'.

Or - what I did - send an email to their CEO. Within 24 hours I got a call from someone on the team who has insisted it'll be investigated and he'll update me by Friday. I'd rather know if it was lost (or stolen) so at least I can get Valve shipping a new one out!

How much of this is on Valve to solve?  If it were anything else, I'd be ringing up the company I bought an item from.

11 minutes ago, StephenM said:

This is diabolical dude.

As Ravnaz has said, just get in touch with Valve. I am pretty sure they have sensational customer support and will get it sorted straight away!

15 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

How much of this is on Valve to solve?  If it were anything else, I'd be ringing up the company I bought an item from.

7 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

This is diabolical dude.

As Ravnaz has said, just get in touch with Valve. I am pretty sure they have sensational customer support and will get it sorted straight away!

Oh you are both spot on -- it's 100% Valve's problem, Evri haven't sold me anything.

But Valve were incredibly slow to reply, and then insisted I will need to wait longer before they can prompt Evri (or GLS I guess, who is the European courier) to investigate. So I just figured getting Evri to tell me it's lost in writing would probably be a quicker route to getting a new one sent out.

At which point, of course, my friends at Evri will be tasked with another attempt! Eek.

1 hour ago, StephenM said:

Never try and sort things like this out with the delivery company; go straight to the seller as it's their problem to sort not yours.