Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

3 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

WTF! Installing Edge did that? (because it's only that and the flatpak command that really do anything to the system).

Edge was fine, I managed to log into the cloud gaming once then a pop up appeared and it took me to a cookie page that I couldn't get out of. 

I then tried force rebooting it which it obviously didn't like. Ha. 

All is fine now though. 

I'm not actually surprised to be honest. I've found the whole device to be pretty flake-y a number of times.

This morning I started playing X-COM 2 (only "playable" not "verified") and had the audacity to click the key bindings option in the game options. I assume something might have popped up in a different window but a) I couldn't see it, b) whilst I could still move the mouse pointer around in the game, music was still playing and animations happening it wouldn't actually respond to input and c) the overlay no longer appeared when clicking either the Steam or "..." buttons.

Had to hard reboot it by holding the power button.

The third time in a week.

I've had it get stuck switching between Game and Desktop modes.

I've had Return to Monkey Island repeatedly start with music but no graphics (you see a flash of it, it's clearly running but the device has failed to make it the focused window).

If I had a main guess with most of these it's that its window/display management is very dodgy. It simply gets itself into situations where its picked the wrong thing (or nothing) to render to the physical screen and so the user cannot see what they're meant to.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Never try and sort things like this out with the delivery company; go straight to the seller as it's their problem to sort not yours.

1 hour ago, StephenM said:

Oh you are both spot on -- it's 100% Valve's problem, Evri haven't sold me anything.

But Valve were incredibly slow to reply, and then insisted I will need to wait longer before they can prompt Evri (or GLS I guess, who is the European courier) to investigate. So I just figured getting Evri to tell me it's lost in writing would probably be a quicker route to getting a new one sent out.

At which point, of course, my friends at Evri will be tasked with another attempt! Eek.

Maybe try Twitter. I’ve always found moaning on there gets me in touch with the right people when I’ve had issues with companies. 

Just got the email saying I could purchase one - pre ordered on the 16th. So just under two weeks from deposit to checkout! WAY faster than what they quoted me about mid December, and by all accounts, getting even faster :)

Yep, it's at the point now where unless you're selling used for less than RRP, you're not gonna move your system easily. I know a couple people who have had a maximum 14 day wait recently 

10 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Yep, it's at the point now where unless you're selling used for less than RRP, you're not gonna move your system easily. I know a couple people who have had a maximum 14 day wait recently 

Iv got first dibs when you sell yours

I wish I could get my hands on whoever delivered one to my place just a few minutes ago. I was in the bathroom and by the time I got to the door he was driving off. The guy had decided to leave it on the doorstep 🤬 No driveway here, no footpath...just the door directly on the street with a high flow of people that walk past. What a twat. 

32 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

image.png.a7d26ede302122209169f6b9f7a221d2.png

Shit just got real

image.png.789bb74dcda26d51e08149aa4bde662e.png

1 week from "reserve" to purchase.  GetMyDeck bang on too.

Of course GetMyDeck was bang on. It is not a prediction. It's simply a summary of actual orders that are known to have been completed.

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

Of course GetMyDeck was bang on. It is not a prediction. It's simply a summary of actual orders that are known to have been completed.

Indeed. I know how it works. I was just being complimentary to it. 

5 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

If I had a main guess with most of these it's that its window/display management is very dodgy. It simply gets itself into situations where its picked the wrong thing (or nothing) to render to the physical screen and so the user cannot see what they're meant to.

I know this won't be for everyone, but I've put Windows on mine, and I have no regrets so far. Having games run in their natural environment rather than through an emulation layer solves a lot of these kind of problems, and for me that kind of stability is worth sacrificing a bit of faff around launching games and maybe some performance. Plus being able to install Gamepass games locally is a big advantage. Suspend / resume works perfectly, Steam big-picture mode is an OK alternative to the (better) SteamOS deck UI, the only real issue is getting non-Steam games to recognise the controller - in my setup this means quitting Steam fully and loading up another app for the controller before launching a game.

Mine is on it's way, I imagine this question has been asked but I have not found an answer to it yet.

As far as game settings, are there any recommended locations to go to find optimum settings for each game? Or possibly settings to find a balance between performance and battery useage?

11 hours ago, wavey said:

I know this won't be for everyone, but I've put Windows on mine, and I have no regrets so far. Having games run in their natural environment rather than through an emulation layer solves a lot of these kind of problems, and for me that kind of stability is worth sacrificing a bit of faff around launching games and maybe some performance. Plus being able to install Gamepass games locally is a big advantage. Suspend / resume works perfectly, Steam big-picture mode is an OK alternative to the (better) SteamOS deck UI, the only real issue is getting non-Steam games to recognise the controller - in my setup this means quitting Steam fully and loading up another app for the controller before launching a game.

Tempted to dual boot mine if/when a method to put both OS on the internal disk becomes feasible.

I generally leave the tdp alone, doesn't seem to make much difference unless desperately trying to save battery for some reason. For most 3d games I aim for 40hz and the chipset is very good at power management so that in itself helps the battery a lot.

54 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Did this value come from trial and error or some other source

I believe it was The Phawx that threw out that figure in his original look at the deck - around 18:58 here

Either 11 or 12w is good, most likely.

This is a blank quote that I don't know how to get rid of on mobile.

26 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

Are you able to download Roms directly onto the Deck, or am I going to have too dust off my laptop from 2010.

You should be able to do it all directly. It is a PC. Switch to desktop mode, get a keyboard and mouse attached and it can do anything a computer can.

1 minute ago, thesnwmn said:

You should be able to do it all directly. It is a PC. Switch to desktop mode, get a keyboard and mouse attached and it can do anything a computer can.

Awesome, Virtua Tennis 2 on the Dreamcast here I come.

13 hours ago, wavey said:

If you wiped the deck to be Windows only, does this mean you lose a lot of functionality baked into Steam OS?. Also is performance worst as well playing in Windows?. plus I guess configuration is more of a hassle since you have to manually tweak everything?. Also what app are you talking about regarding the controller?, is there a video demonstrating this as well?. 

1 minute ago, yakumo said:

If you wiped the deck to be Windows only, does this mean you lose a lot of functionality baked into Steam OS?. Also is performance worst as well playing in Windows?. plus I guess configuration is more of a hassle since you have to manually tweak everything?. Also what app are you talking about regarding the controller?, is there a video demonstrating this as well?. 

Loss of SteamOS functionality - yes, you lose e.g. the automatic graphics memory management SteamOS does, so I put it up to 4G in the BIOS. By default you lose the menus that pop up for the Steam and ... buttons, but I've not looked into those at all yet. For Steam, the experience is exactly the same as a desktop running big picture mode, with the same kind of Steam overlays and configuration options. Valve do provide Windows drivers for the GPU, Bluetooth, audio, wifi etc.

Performance - I remember seeing benchmarks where people have measured a performance loss under Windows, but it's not something I've noticed while playing.

Configuration being a hassle - not that I've noticed, any more than on a standard Windows desktop. But I haven't looked at e.g. optimizing the battery performance, so if that's a concern I'd do more research first.

Controller - there are a few ways to support the controller in Windows I believe (outside of Steam - inside, it works perfectly). I use this app, but haven't tried out any of the alternatives yet.

At the moment, I must say I have something that doesn't feel like a console at all outside of the games themselves, and it's a question of taste whether you're alright with that or not. I'm sure I could get it booting into some kind of frontend to make it nicer, but for me it's not worth the hassle. I have it booting to a Windows desktop - it's ugly and a lot less nice to use than the SteamOS deck mode, but like I say, I was aiming for the stability and compatibility of games more than anything else.