Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

11 hours ago, Siri said:

Yeah, it worked right away with the default Proton, which is 7.0-4 if you've switched away from it somehow.

I'm actually surprised myself, as I would have thought Gameguard would have fucked it over without Experimental Proton.

Cheers, I had switched away but switching back hasn't worked. It keeps sticking at the same screen. I wonder if it's because of the Gameguard. 

I have finally joined the ranks of Deck owners.  Preordered end of August, got it last week.  Evri, which I was dreading.  Turns out they sent the email it was on the way about an hour before it arrived, so I got a nice surprise at the door before work.

I have a lot of Anbernic retro handhelds, curious to see how it stacked up size wise and battery wise.  Performance is obviously a whole new level.

First impression?  OH, BIG!  It’s a chunky boy.  I don’t find it too bad in the hands, I mean I played BotW on the WiiU tablet pad thing so I am fine with it.  Setup is nice and easy, first portable in a while I haven’t needed to sort out custom firmware.  Decided to try a mix of easy to run stuff and full on 3D stuff to begin with.

Shockingly Streets of Rage 4 runs absolutely fine.  Who would have thought it?  Having put the ports of Shovel Knight, Freedom Planet and Shredders Revenge in my Anbernics it is nice to see them running on a bigger, widescreen portable.

Then the big ones.  Elden Ring…is absolutely fine.  Going from stuff that can just about run Dreamcast to having a working portable Elden Ring is incredible.  This thing is a great piece of kit.  Performance to price is absolutely unmatched.  I still need to learn about how to get the most from the battery.  Any tips on frame rate, TDP and FSR (when I finally worked out how that worked) would be much appreciated.

Ghostrunner is another performance pusher I tried.  Plays great, has inbuilt FSR.  Text is a little small,  but I was more concerned with the sticks feeling a bit twitchy.  I think that is more down to Ghostrunner wanting the precision of the mouse more than anything.  Didn’t have that issue on 2016 Doom, which also plays great.

Tried some emulators on it.  Emulation Station sorts most stuff.  Nice to see DC and N64 playing no problem.  Widescreen Skies of Arcadia?  Yes please.  Not really ever tried anything fancier before,  it decided to have a look at Cemu.  Took some tinkering to get it setup with emu deck and steam room manager the way I wanted, plus had to use the experimental branch to get a wua file for the WiiU up and running.  Made it a little harder for myself trying to run the emulated stuff off the SD card,  it I did it, I got BotW up and running.  Aside from the shader caching, it runs really well.  Was told I’m advance to try and stick to 40fps, seems to have no trouble from my limited messing about in open area.

So it plays everything I want, it runs well, battery seems fine (didn’t realise it does a decent job of adjusting TDP on the fly).  I am very impressed.  The fact you can just put it into desktop mode and tinker is amazing and terrifying at the same time.  I’ll probably end up trying to put Epic Game Store on to try Darkest Dungeon 2, see how that goes.

By probably I mean I’m going to spend all my time on this amazing device playing 2D stuff like Dome Keeper and never using the power it has.  I’m just glad Destiny 2 doesn’t work because you’d never see me again if it did.

11 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Evri are fucking me. 

They’ve had it since last Monday. I made the possibly huge mistake of diverting delivery to a locker. It’s been sat in the WEVE GOT IT status since Wednesday. No change. 

Anybody find a way to help it move? I will get in touch with valve but guessing you have to wait at least 10 days. 

I emailed the Evri CEO following some advice on Reddit, only because even after the 8 days they initially said, Valve insisted I wait ‘another 4 or 5 days’ before they investigate. 

After the email, got a call from Evri saying they’d investigate. A few days later they said in writing it was lost. I passed this onto Valve and they finally opened an investigation - but that’s been two days so far.

Hoping to at least have a replacement on the way soon. But it seems like some Reddit people are on their third attempt!

I can't believe @Moodmon would make a full disclosure about his time with the Deck, without asking me how long it will take to ship while fully ignoring the rllmuk thread title for reasons.

This is a disaster.

Regarding TDP, my personal go-tos are - 3 to 5w for really old, 2D games,or even streaming. About 8w for 360-era games, 11 to 12w if I only need about 95% performance on modern games for x reason (like making the fan silent more often).

If it's more throttled by either GPU or CPU, Set GPU clock speed to high or low to prioritise. If framerate is over the place, knock down the screen hz until it's acceptable (the frame cap matches as you move it). If it's still a problem and there's no internal upscaling options, lower the resolution in-game and pick FSR.

Ghostwire Tokyo will still be awful after all this. Play Off-Peak instead.

1 hour ago, Moodmon said:

I’ll probably end up trying to put Epic Game Store on to try Darkest Dungeon 2, see how that goes.

Just for your benefit, I have installed epic as I have loads of games I added to my library that were free over the years and I have been running GTA V from it.

Look up heroic games launcher, it allows you to install epic and GOG games :)

I have very low tolerance for faff and appear to have quite easily got Mario Kart Double Dash & Wave Race Bluestorm up and running quite acceptably (I of course realise that for some there is no acceptable versions of either of these titles).

Next stop Sega Soccer Slam & Beach Spikers

The gamecube is really the only old console I regret not having still

It has arrived!

Currently installing Steam by the looks of it. It's big but so comfortable to hold and the buttons and sticks feel really nice. I have been waiting years and years for someone to put serious consideration into ergonomics when making a handheld gaming device, we obsess over little changes made to the Xbox or PlayStation controller all the while companies have been giving you slabs of plastic as handhelds. You were lucky if they bothered with rounded edges, this feels great though.

I think I said it before over on Reddit - my Steam Deck is like those 100-in-1 dodgy game cartridges, but instead of being 25 clones of Pac-Man/Space Invaders/Mario/Tetris it's basically a who's who of banging games.

New Vegas, BallisticNG, FF7 Remake, Dicey Dungeons, Binary Domain, Murder By Numbers, Yakuza Zero, Vampire Survivors, and Noita. That's a tenth of what's on this bloody thing. It's ace.

30 minutes ago, Siri said:

I think I said it before over on Reddit - my Steam Deck is like those 100-in-1 dodgy game cartridges, but instead of being 25 clones of Pac-Man/Space Invaders/Mario/Tetris it's basically a who's who of banging games.

New Vegas, BallisticNG, FF7 Remake, Dicey Dungeons, Binary Domain, Murder By Numbers, Yakuza Zero, Vampire Survivors, and Noita. That's a tenth of what's on this bloody thing. It's ace.

I fell into the old trap of just filling my emulators with the entire library from that platform. So I've got about 6000 retro titles on it, of which I'll play about 12. 

I should really go and put in my faves and delete the rest.

11 minutes ago, T Pot said:

I fell into the old trap of just filling my emulators with the entire library from that platform. So I've got about 6000 retro titles on it, of which I'll play about 12. 

I should really go and put in my faves and delete the rest.

Yep, best way to handle retro stuff. I personally have everything under Emulation Station, but if there's a particular game I want on SteamOS I can set it via Steam ROM Manager.

But honestly, after playing a couple of PS3 games to completion, I'm good with simply not touching any emulated games. I'm running a tight ship when it comes to clearing the backlog, if I can help it.

Spotty, just like on any PC - plenty of games run like the clappers, but there's certainly equally as many games that don't work well at all. don't expect anything that still needs a supercomputer at the moment to run well (GOW3, TLoU, GT6 and MGS4 come to mind).

Games like Ridge Racer 7, Afterburner Climax and VF5 Final Showdown fit into the former, though, so I'm pleased as punch with it.

Throw me in the shafted by Evri pile. One sent out, 'something went wrong', never arrived. Valve sent a replacement. Even quicker second time around I got the 'something went wrong' message - this time claiming they'd aim to get it to my next working day. That was September 24. Just had an email from Evri this morning saying it's been lost.

"Lost".

So that's two in a row. Waiting for Valve to get back to me so I can sort another replacement. If (when?) that one goes "missing" I'm going to sack it all off and just get a refund. I do so love how accountable Evri is.

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

I have very low tolerance for faff and appear to have quite easily got Mario Kart Double Dash & Wave Race Bluestorm up and running quite acceptably (I of course realise that for some there is no acceptable versions of either of these titles).

Next stop Sega Soccer Slam & Beach Spikers

The gamecube is really the only old console I regret not having still

I played Double Dash and Beach Spikers yesterday. It was glorious. 

40 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Do they have no processes at all to identify where in the logistics chain these are going missing and holding someone accountable?

I believe that would be in the hands of the logistics themselves - in other words, GLS (who then send it to either Parcelforce or Evri). At least, from my experience of working in a production environment, albeit a completely different industry.

I would expect that Valve has agreements in place as a customer to GLS to financially claim against any lost items as part of GLS' insurance in order to settle refunds easily against relatively big ticket items, and in turn GLS will claim against Evri. Otherwise, they would have been binned immediately for a more expensive handler at the rate they're disappearing.

Gave Frathpoop a go today after getting it in the humane bundle. Plays well on the deck. Has anyone else tried it? Also is it one that will work well with the flick stick controller method? Want to find a game to practice that on. 

Also have keys and Dishonored 2 and Monster Train if anyone wants them 

15 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Gave Frathpoop a go today after getting it in the humane bundle. Plays well on the deck. Has anyone else tried it? Also is it one that will work well with the flick stick controller method? Want to find a game to practice that on. 

Deathloop should be a good to practice with flick stick, I reckon. Not sure how much you'll get from the game itself, though. 

16 minutes ago, Treble said:

Deathloop should be a good to practice with flick stick, I reckon. Not sure how much you'll get from the game itself, though. 

So, it has really good accessibility options in the main so I am happy with that. Mostly UI based stuff but still good enough. I can't expect Spider-Man levels yet but it'll do and better for me than many other FPS.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

I’d love the Dishonoured 2 key if it is still going :)