Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

10 hours ago, StephenM said:

I emailed the Evri CEO following some advice on Reddit, only because even after the 8 days they initially said, Valve insisted I wait ‘another 4 or 5 days’ before they investigate. 

After the email, got a call from Evri saying they’d investigate. A few days later they said in writing it was lost. I passed this onto Valve and they finally opened an investigation - but that’s been two days so far.

Hoping to at least have a replacement on the way soon. But it seems like some Reddit people are on their third attempt!

What a joke. I have logged a ticket with Steam. Thanks for the reply. 

Spent ages trying to get flick stick calibrated in death loop but just wasn't having any of it.

Any suggestions of other games that will work well with it and easy to calibrate?

6 hours ago, bradigor said:

Spent ages trying to get flick stick calibrated in death loop but just wasn't having any of it.

Any suggestions of other games that will work well with it and easy to calibrate?

not got a clue what ‘flick stick’ is but it gets a whole section in todays update release notes

Steam Input: FlickStick

Reduced update rate from 240hz to 120hz to reduce instances of maxed out mouse movement between game frames

Added a "Slap Back" check so that the stick does not accidentally invoke an opposite-side turn when snapping home aggressively

Any remaining Snap Angle is doled as the stick returns to zero. This further reduces "mouse movement spikes"

Tweaked Inner Radius Default to be lower

Fixed Dampening Value not being used with the correct ranges

13 hours ago, jonamok said:

Do they have no processes at all to identify where in the logistics chain these are going missing and holding someone accountable?

Evri has processes - oddly they're exactly the same as those of Hermes. Said process is to say "we'll contact the local delivery department", then a few days later to tell you it's lost. I have never, in as long as Hervri has been a thing, had a package rescued once it's fallen off the tracking.

Beyond that? Nothing. Not on the customer side, at least. You'd hope GLS (owned by Royal Mail) would at least learn its lesson, but it's GLS (owned by Royal Mail) so it's all about cheaping out wherever possible.

48 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

Evri has processes - oddly they're exactly the same as those of Hermes. Said process is to say "we'll contact the local delivery department", then a few days later to tell you it's lost. I have never, in as long as Hervri has been a thing, had a package rescued once it's fallen off the tracking.

Beyond that? Nothing. Not on the customer side, at least. You'd hope GLS (owned by Royal Mail) would at least learn its lesson, but it's GLS (owned by Royal Mail) so it's all about cheaping out wherever possible.

That said I don't know if you have seen it, Joe Lycett did a thing on tv a little while back where he went to some of the auction houses where some of the "lost or undeliverable" parcels go from Evri and found that a lot of them had clearly identifiable delivery addresses on them. They may have processes in place but I suspect that they make a tidy sum out of this side hustle of selling "lost" parcels that they are nowhere near as thorough as they should be.

I have played almost 5 hours on my Steam deck since it arrived yesterday, all on Final Fantasy 7, the original version not the remake. It's a game I have always wanted to beat but I have never gotten far despite owning it on multiple platforms.

I had the original PS version, but my CRT died, and it looks terrible on a large LCD. The Steam version looked incredibly jaggy on my monitor and while you can, and I have modded it with upscaled backgrounds I found they looked like things were made from plastic at times plus you lose the achievements. I also bought it on PS4, but the blurry backgrounds are horrible to my eyes, so I have never gotten very far in the game despite it being labelled as an absolute classic.

It looks really good on the deck though and being able to suspend your game is really useful in JRPGs I have found. Plus, there is something about JRPGs and handheld gaming that just click together. 

I'm very impressed with the sound that the Deck produces, it's much better than I expected.

I should really get on with another FF7 Randomizer run again, out of morbid curiosity for how it's changed since the last time I used it. It was fun until you had a random encounter spawn parts of Ruby Weapon as monsters and it crashed the game :lol:

The speakers are indeed fantastic, it was a joy to play Abzu and Gris through them. And, uh, Trombone Champ.

20 hours ago, T Pot said:

I fell into the old trap of just filling my emulators with the entire library from that platform. So I've got about 6000 retro titles on it, of which I'll play about 12. 

I should really go and put in my faves and delete the rest.

And it's reduced to less than 100 across 9 systems!

Has anyone managed to get Overwatch 2 running on this? The furthest I've managed to get is to the spawn room, then the game freezes. Added Battle.net installer as a Non-Steam game, ran that, installed battle.Net, added that to Library then installed OW2 via there. I have read an alternative method using Bottles - is that more reliable?

I've been away from PC gaming for a few years - since ordering my Steam Deck I've added about 60 games to my wishlist. I'd forgotten how cheap everything is compared to the Nintendo eShop.

Famous last words - but not long to go now, it made it to the UK/Evri this morning.

Guild Wars 2 is surprisingly very playable. 40fps (Locked refresh too) and pretty high settings. That would tank to shit in a meta event but even on my 3070ti I drop down to low when I run thoses. The sheer configurability of the Steam Deck controls means there's loads of ways to manage the many many keybinds and loads of people have been uploading their versions. Very nice that it's easy to tweak them to suit yourself as well.

image.thumb.png.0cdae3676a136fcf7d4c1c102e7f18e6.png

That's me riding around Lion's Arch on my plushie raptor mount.

I'm sure someone mentioned an RPG around a week or so ago, which is also on Switch. It looks pixel-arty/cyberpunky from what I recall, but I can't find the post for the life of me? 

I think this thing may have rekindled my interest in gaming, my other half says she not seen a smile on my face like I had messing around with it last night.

I know it's not the first machine to allow emulation but the seamless integration of new stuff alongside old classics is so seductive as a package.

Got Sega saturn & dreamcast running, Nintendo DS/Gamecube/64 and PS2

2 hours ago, SteveH said:

I'm sure someone mentioned an RPG around a week or so ago, which is also on Switch. It looks pixel-arty/cyberpunky from what I recall, but I can't find the post for the life of me? 

While those qualities don't narrow things down that much, perhaps Unsighted or Crosscode?

Lovely to see Steam Decks being available to buy now. Just got my reservation refunded, too!

34 minutes ago, Siri said:

While those qualities don't narrow things down that much, perhaps Unsighted or Crosscode?

Lovely to see Steam Decks being available to buy now. Just got my reservation refunded, too!

Neither of those sadly. I believe it is a recent release, but yes, not much to go on!

Flavour video:

Nice that even valve says 'hey, you can use that £20 usb hub too'.

And LOOK AT ALL THOSE DECKS

Spoiler

that will get lost in the mail

4 hours ago, SteveH said:

Octopath Traveler?