Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I'm happy with my Jsaux dock. An extra PSU would be handy but not essential and I have no use of the Display Port. Would have been good if either of them also included an SD Card slot but I bought one of these

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G5JV2B5

71ryBVQqy5L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.d8a1682bd5a4fd784e9231485b5cf075.jpg

Also looking at getting this

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013SL1YXO

818t3rhOubL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.43d97581d5f95bda5f9b8d73c6a551f6.jpg

I haven't bought the dock for use with games. I've been enjoying tinkering with the deck as much as playing on it and will be installing Windows hopefully at some point. Good to have a reasonably portable desktop (and handy for when you need to do stuff in Desktop mode)

Apologies for the basic question but is the deck easy just to use out of the box? It’s great to see all the posts about emulators and tweaks but tbh I really can’t be bothered with the faff now.

I was hoping I could use the deck to get the PC indie titles (via the Steam store) and Xbox titles (via cloud streaming) that I can’t get on my PS5. 

Is that realistic? Is there anyone using it in vanilla mode like this and happy? Just pulled the trigger on an order and starting to doubt myself. The thread about buying and selling gaming gear is going around in my head! 😁

Just now, BubbleFish said:

Apologies for the basic question but is the deck easy just to use out of the box? It’s great to see all the posts about emulators and tweaks but tbh I really can’t be bothered with the faff now.

I was hoping I could use the deck to get the PC indie titles (via the Steam store) and Xbox titles (via cloud streaming) that I can’t get on my PS5. 

Is that realistic? Is there anyone using it in vanilla mode like this and happy? Just pulled the trigger on an order and starting to doubt myself. The thread about buying and selling gaming gear is going around in my head! 😁

Yes! You can just use it out of the box for a lot of indie games, especially if they've got controller support. You'll need to follow a guide to set up some cloud streaming (basically adding a browser and adding it to Steam with some launch commands you copy and paste), but it's not an awful lot of work.

Just now, BubbleFish said:

super easy, it boots into that way of playing by default, just get some games from steam (the deck verified ones being the easiest if you want zero faff) and you're away

it's like a console OS.

the lure of messing about with is it strong though, I didn't think I'd bother at all with emulators and it's all I've done after the first couple of days. Playing Burnout revenge a few inches from your face is quite impressive

5 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

I'm happy with my Jsaux dock. An extra PSU would be handy but not essential and I have no use of the Display Port. Would have been good if either of them also included an SD Card slot but I bought one of these

I haven't bought the dock for use with games. I've been enjoying tinkering with the deck as much as playing on it and will be installing Windows hopefully at some point. Good to have a reasonably portable desktop (and handy for when you need to do stuff in Desktop mode)

I have one of these samsung ones as it dropped to about £18 briefly - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Smart-Keyboard-QWERTY-Black/dp/B099QVTCZ9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=24DIETOMPX5NT&keywords=samsung+bluetooth+keyboard&qid=1665137792&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjAzIiwicXNhIjoiNC40NyIsInFzcCI6IjMuOTAifQ%3D%3D&s=computers&sprefix=samsung+blue%2Ccomputers%2C152&sr=1-5

5 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

I've got that keyboard for mine. It works a treat. I paired it with this (Also works bluetooth)

image.png.0ad99d13c19a3f4a4a954d3d48b3eac8.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W7JYP91/

4 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

I'd say "mostly". It's a lovely device but it's not perfect.

I find it's commonly much more of a hassle than a console.

• Return to Monkey Island often opened but never rendered to screen. Music was playing so it was running but it hadn't switched view properly. Had to use the overlay to kill and restart upon which it might or might not work (clearing the ProtonDb files always fixed it)
  • On occasion when quitting a game I've been left with a black screen and the Steam UI and overlay not popping up at all. Had to hard reset.
  • On quick resume I frequently find the sound is stutter-y. Restarting the game always fixes it.
  • In some games the volume buttons don't work unless you first pop up one of the overlays
  • Some games require an onscreen keyboard. It's not the end of the world but you cannot trust "verified" to mean you won't see the Steam keyboard rather than an in-game one

You mention Xcloud. This requires steps outside of the Steam store. You have to install Edge and change a few things to make it work. It's worth it but be aware.

It's fantastic. I think most people will love it. But I think anyone saying it ever "just works" across multiple games is glossing over this stuff a little. I don't mind because I quite enjoy that puzzle in itself. But people's tolerance for it varies.

1 hour ago, Hawklord said:

There's a version of that keyboard with a mouse pad on that I have. Useful if you don't want to get a wireless mouse, too:

Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Touch TV Keyboard With Easy Media Control and Built-in Touchpad, HTPC Keyboard for PC-connected TV, Windows, Android, Chrome OS, Laptop, QWERTY UK English Layout - Black https://amzn.eu/d/inmlNA5

It's often on sale.

For a pc it's extremely easy to just pick up and play. But it IS a pc, not a console. You don't have to fiddle with things but you can, and it's more often you will find things don't work properly without some tweaking.

You can completely ignore desktop mode and all of that if you want.

I realise this has probably been mentioned a thousand times but things change fast, so - easiest way to set up emulation on the deck? Emudeck? I'm sure I read emudeck can be a bit shit with modifying folder structure and messing things up?

I've the 512gb model with no microsd card if that makes any difference.

Cheers!

8 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I realise this has probably been mentioned a thousand times but things change fast, so - easiest way to set up emulation on the deck? Emudeck? I'm sure I read emudeck can be a bit shit with modifying folder structure and messing things up?

Cheers!

FWIW I'm giving Batocera a go. 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

There's a version of that keyboard with a mouse pad on that I have. Useful if you don't want to get a wireless mouse, too:

Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Touch TV Keyboard With Easy Media Control and Built-in Touchpad, HTPC Keyboard for PC-connected TV, Windows, Android, Chrome OS, Laptop, QWERTY UK English Layout - Black https://amzn.eu/d/inmlNA5

It's often on sale.

I have that keyboard to use with my desktop, and while I wouldn't use it to play games it's absolutely perfect for basic stuff like web browsing, launching stuff and so on.

It would also be ideal for the odd game that insists on showing mouse/touchscreen-only launchers on the Deck while docked.

13 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Cheers!

If you don't want random scripts to fuck with things, you can use Retrodeck. It'll just install and configure things that are already in the discovery store.

If you don't mind random scripts fucking with things, you can use Emudeck.

If you want your emulation stuff to be on another SD card entirely with its own operating system, you can use Batocera.

2 minutes ago, Siri said:

If you don't want random scripts to fuck with things, you can use Retrodeck. It'll just install and configure things that are already in the discovery store.

If you don't mind random scripts fucking with things, you can use Emudeck.

If you want your emulation stuff to be on another SD card entirely with its own operating system, you can use Batocera.

If you want everything kept seperate - Batorcera is the way to go, I think.  Installs to a micro-sd card - and boots from the micro sd.  Everything is kept and done on there.  No fucking with your system.

Noob question but with all the talk of random scripts influencing folder structure, can I put all my legal backup retro roms on the SD card when I use emudeck?

I heard Batocera is great but doesn't perform as well as emudeck because it's still pretty much in beta?

39 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Noob question but with all the talk of random scripts influencing folder structure, can I put all my legal backup retro roms on the SD card when I use emudeck?

I heard Batocera is great but doesn't perform as well as emudeck because it's still pretty much in beta?

I've "heard" that anything upto and including WiiU is good on Batocera - even in the Beta image.

I don't know if this is well known or not, but in fiddling around I noticed that for games which don't allow yo to choose a 16:10 resolution, if you set the resolution in the game properties from the dashboard and then set a higher resolution in the game it not only downsamples but also adjust the aspect ratio fills the screen. Useful in some instances.