Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

22 minutes ago, Siri said:

I'd be inclined to check the files you downloaded from Steam, if there's an agreed consensus that the game works in some capacity. There should be an option to check the file integrity via the cog on the game page - I've had multiple occasions where I couldn't get a game running, only to find out the download got fucked up for x reason.

Ah! This might have been correct - downloaded it at my in laws over a poor connection. 

I have now got it working - not entirely sure how to honest. Downloaded it all again. Changed it to proton GE and got a black screen. 

changed it to experimental and it boots. 

pretty sure I did this exact same method earlier and it did not work… anyway have Just Cause 2 working so I’m happy, thanks all. 

I guess this is why it’s unsupported which is a shame as it runs really well when you get it going!

14 minutes ago, Alshie said:

Ah! This might have been correct - downloaded it at my in laws over a poor connection. 

I have now got it working - not entirely sure how to honest. Downloaded it all again. Changed it to proton GE and got a black screen. 

changed it to experimental and it boots. 

pretty sure I did this exact same method earlier and it did not work… anyway have Just Cause 2 working so I’m happy, thanks all. 

I guess this is why it’s unsupported which is a shame as it runs really well when you get it going!

Funnily enough, there's also been instances where I've had black screens on first boot, only to load up with the exact same settings for it to work from that point onward!  My guess is that it does all the setup for Proton (creating the prefix and the pretend windows files, specifically), but the game for some reason does not twig initially.

It's annoying, although not anywhere near annoying as the other linux-based thing I've been playing around with this weekend (hacking a mini arcade toy with Alpha software - Batocera has three seperate configuration points for controllers and it's just fucking lunacy)

On 03/12/2022 at 14:54, Flanders said:

I’m in absolute awe about how good the 360 era games look and run on this. Halo Reach and Max Payne 3 at 60fps on a handheld device is as mind-blowing a technical leap for me as anything in the past decade. 

Not Steamdeck related but I've got Red Dead redemption up and working this morning on my desktop PC with a 60fps mod via Xenia (Canary version). Smooth as butter

20 hours ago, Gotters said:

Heroic launcher stuff - Rocket League been playing perfectly in game mode then last night wouldn’t load, said game not installed.

Went into desktop this morning to checkout heroic launcher and looked like the Epic & GOG stores just signed out, so signed back in.

RL now fine again in game mode, do the store credentials time out and need updating back in heroic to keep games launching ?

Epic kept signing me out *every hour* when I was playing Fallout 3, which caused the game to crash each time. Had to keep logging back in in Heroic (you don't need to go into desktop mode to do that though). Supposedly this "bug" was "fixed" in the version of Heroic I was using, but clearly not. I bet the issue is with Epic being arseholes more than Heroic or the Deck though.

GoG has never signed me out at all though, so who knows.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Has anyone got one of those Ivolver docks? It's £28 on Amazon right now, worth getting or should I stick to the JSAUX?

On 02/12/2022 at 14:46, Spartan said:

Ive asked my wife for an ivolver dock for xmas, i wanted one that i could use with a case and the official one won't work with any case

On 03/12/2022 at 09:15, simms said:

yes the ivolver dock is really nice for cradling a deck with cases as it’s well supported. Make sure she gets the pro version which gives you the Ethernet port unless they release a better version before Christmas.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet myself though, but I think I’ll be getting the pro version eventually.

Think I'm going to get one, that JSAUX has an ethernet port on the side but I can't for the life of me find a reason for having it. My wireless hub is about 2 meters away so would be pointless. Plus I'll be able o hook it up to my big 4K TV so PC gaming gold.

28 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

The deck only outputs at 720p in docked mode right? So I’m guessing that the performance in docked mode is identical to handheld mode?

From what I understand, the Deck outputs whatever the heck you set it to in the options, provided the dock supports the signal.

You're right in thinking that the deck is exactly the same whether docked or not. It just outputs whatever it needs to do, battery power be dammed.

30 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

The deck only outputs at 720p in docked mode right? So I’m guessing that the performance in docked mode is identical to handheld mode?

Dunno but Mr Google says:

The Steam Deck can actually go up to 8K through its USB-C port. It supports 8K at 60Hz or 4K at 120Hz

30 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

I think it will output "whatever" in docked mode. It depends on the connected device, cable.

Performance in docked is probably free-er than handheld because often the handheld limitation is tweaking to get more battery life. In docked that's not a concern so you can run it at max power all of the time.

Of course it's not really going to do 4k on anything pushing more than a few graphics around the screen.

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Of course it's not really going to do 4k on anything pushing more than a few graphics around the screen.

Steam Deck does offer tools to push image quality a bit further on a 4K set, most notably AMD's FSR 1.0 scaling which produces a small but noticeable detail improvement over bilinear upscaling without introducing excessive aliasing.

Digital Foundry spec rundown

1 minute ago, Lorfarius said:

Steam Deck does offer tools to push image quality a bit further on a 4K set, most notably AMD's FSR 1.0 scaling which produces a small but noticeable detail improvement over bilinear upscaling without introducing excessive aliasing.

Digital Foundry spec rundown

Yes, of course. I didn't bother to specify how many polygons. And acceptable is going to vary for people.

As an example from their tests... Half Life 2 mostly runs at 60fps in 4k but dips when things get busy. So, no bad.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Really excited now, just received tracking info 🤩 Only been a few days, great turn around.

I had my GLS tracking number Thursday.  It 'left the parcel centre' and nothing for three days.  It better not still be in the Netherlands! 

Yeah sometimes ‘left the parcel centre’ is the last update you get before it turns up or an out for delivery notification.

It should give you a Royal Mail tracking number (or whatever carrier picks it up this end, it was RM for me), you can check on also.

Mine does have a Parcelforce tracking number. They're just showing 'general logistics update' at the moment.   Hopefully arrives this week, as they go on strike at the weekend!

I mean, it doesn't matter if it takes longer. I don't mind. I really don't.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

From what I understand, the Deck outputs whatever the heck you set it to in the options, provided the dock supports the signal.

You're right in thinking that the deck is exactly the same whether docked or not. It just outputs whatever it needs to do, battery power be dammed.

Oh, I was sure it would only let me set the resolution to 720p in gaming mode when I tried it docked. I didn’t tinker though to be fair. I’ll try it again later :)

1 hour ago, sbrandon111 said:

Oh, I was sure it would only let me set the resolution to 720p in gaming mode when I tried it docked. I didn’t tinker though to be fair. I’ll try it again later :)

It can be a bit confusing. If you just run a game docked and try to change the resolution, it will indeed only let you choose 720p. The trick is to set the properties of the game using the cog on the game page. Here, you change the resolution you want the game to have available. I've found that setting it to "Native" lets me choose any resolution when docked. There's also the docked resolution which is set in Settings > Display... which I believe is the resolution sent to the TV in docked mode. I have this set to 1080p.

5 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I'm also going through the last few generations for some ROM goodness. Building a pile of PS2 and GC games, not sure about PS3 stuff or if it even works well.

there is a really good emulation thread in retro for steam deck - some good info there.

my experience is PS3 is a bit flakey and not where I'd start, PS1 & 2 and PSP are brilliant, as is N64, Gamecube, GBA/NDS, most Wii games and even Wii U and apparently some Switch.

Xbox & X360 are tough machines to emulate and not put any time into them as results patchy apparently.