Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

On 09/04/2022 at 10:21, bear said:

Do you know what time your order went though back when you pre-ordered it? 

Email thanking me for the order was Fri, Jul 16, 2021, 6:22 PM and the body of the email says date issued 16 Jul, 2021 @ 6:19pm BST, so I guess I was a bit slow.

Forgot the deposit was only £4. :lol:

1 hour ago, bignige said:

2 ways.
Bring up Home in a game and push right to quick edit keys. 

Before launching a game in Steam look to the right for a joypad icon. Click that. 

Thanks, was able to use this to get a community layout fopr Dorfromantik and edit it to my liking. 

Came across my first game that will not run for love nor money ABRISS. I'll try that streaming tomorrow. 

Other issue I have, is the Steam Deck doesan't like to keep a connection to my router in 5Ghz, I need to switch to 2Ghz mode which is a pain. Was fine during setup, but started having issues after updating the system. 

1 hour ago, bignige said:

2 ways.
Bring up Home in a game and push right to quick edit keys. 

Before launching a game in Steam look to the right for a joypad icon. Click that. 

Perfect, thank you. Though, weirdly, the edit controls function doesn’t seem to include the option to deactivate the touchscreen.

Still, shutting those back buttons off is a major relief - nearly twatted a shopkeeper earlier while adjusting my grip.

10 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Email thanking me for the order was Fri, Jul 16, 2021, 6:22 PM and the body of the email says date issued 16 Jul, 2021 @ 6:19pm BST, so I guess I was a bit slow.

Forgot the deposit was only £4. :lol:

Yet I ordered mine (time on email) at 6:15 and nothing for me :( 

Had to take some ibuprofen as my thumb hurts from mashing too many deck buttons yesterday. Absolute disaster.

Thankfully, I've sorted out my 'immediate shit to play' list and have started with Hatoful Boyfriend. Changed the input so all I need to do when scrolling through the story is tap the trackpad as opposed to putting any resistance on my hands. Very neat, and the new Steam Input screen makes a lot more sense compared to big picture.

Also very-obvious-but-nice thing - as someone with near-sightedness, it's nice to play traditional PC games in a non-laptop form factor without my glasses on and curled up in bed. It really fits in the same time space as my phone and tablet.

EDIT: while getting a sad ending on Hatoful, some of my remaining downloads finished, namely The Coin Game.

As I've mentioned countless times because I love this game, it's incredibly janky, so being able to tap menus because the controller support is busted helps.

Performance-wise, it's a mixed bag, but it's not like the game runs like a champion even with a 3080. You'll get a relatively stable 30fps on High Settings, although the reflections will make certain parlor games run like shit. But the biggest hit is usually running around in the arcades and overworld, and it's fairly steady even when you're picking up sedate robots and putting them in the bin.

In all: playable, but it's still a game made in Unity by a sole family man who just wants to make a virtual penny arcade. You should still buy it, as there's nothing like it out there and the sort of thing that makes me enjoy PC gaming.

Nothing yet - there was a script to use the PSNow app via Lutris, but it's busted now from my understanding.

I'd be tempted to throw the install file through Bottles (a similar compatibility tool) and see what happens, but I don't have a sub so I wouldn't get very far in trying it tbh.

Can you hot swap Micro SD cards on this? I have a 512 I can put in, but want to get a 1TB eventually and might do something like have all emulated stuff (Switch, DC, Retro, etc) on the 512 and Steam / Itch / Epic / GoG games on the 1TB.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Can you hot swap Micro SD cards on this? I have a 512 I can put in, but want to get a 1TB eventually and might do something like have all emulated stuff (Switch, DC, Retro, etc) on the 512 and Steam / Itch / Epic / GoG games on the 1TB.

In theory you can (and it's been demonstrated as such during the press tours), but I've read reports that you can lose data without properly halting the storage, which is something you can only really do while in desktop mode until valve sorts out SteamOS. If you want to be super safe, turn it off before swapping, or at least eject the media safely via desktop mode.

In other news, I tried a couple of favourites of mine that are already listed as verified/playable - Path of Exile and Generation Zero.

PoE's new controller mode is basically the console UI for PC, and it's incredibly surreal on Deck - a game that I've played for a decade, running at a solid 60fps and crisp 16:10 widescreen, with native controller support and even using the trackpad to do inventory management. It's basically the best of all worlds, and is absolutely wild.

Generation Zero batters the deck as it's very graphics/lighting heavy while being an open-world FPS - in High or Ultra settings, 30fps is all you'll get, and low is a paltry 40fps.

What you can do, however, is pull the resolution down to 540p windowed, and slap on FSR for a solid 60fps. It does, however, completely top out the APU and draws 25w (well, 15w is the cap for the APU alone). Ends up reaching the thermal limit of 80c and the battery lasts about an hour and a half! :lol: capping the TDP to 10w makes the FPS unstable and fluctuates between 40-55, but feels alright to play and you get another half an hour and a more acceptable 70c.

Looks and plays amazing even with FSR smushing the text, mind. And because of the grips, the only thing that makes you realise the deck is being hammered is the fact it only lasts as long as a movie!

On 11/04/2022 at 18:34, Uzi said:

I've been loving mine playing Hollow Knight on it but I have ONE big complaint. 

Slay the Spire is verified but the controls don't work at all. 

Just to let you know, in case you're still having trouble - to get the proper controller support, you need the beta branch of the game and the official layout that comes with it.

In case you need further direction:

Spoiler

- go to the game page before you start the game, press the cog button on the right

- select 'Properties...'

- Betas sub section, use the top drop-down to select 'beta', should be the top entry

- let it download the file changes, and then start the game

- Steam button, press right for controller options

- Select the 'Official Layout' that's already indicated, and make sure it's loaded as the controller profile. I missed this bit as I thought it was already loaded, but it was still using the old controller profile and it wouldn't let me use block cards

- that's it!

Speaking of Steam Input - loaded up Unbeatable, and decided I wanted to use the trackpad to put as little effort on my worn fingers.

Basically set the pads to be directional pads, but only pressing up and down is active to hit both sets of high-low buttons, and used the 'cross pad' variant so it didn't take mixed directions into account. Combined with making the inputs tap-sensitive, it's a really nice way to play, and I can see myself trying a similar setup for 4-button DJ Max when I get around to it. Helps that you can play the deck flat and tap like a keyboard, too!

The system needs better built in accessibility options at system level. Even something as simple as a zoom hotkey or text to speech. 

Struggled with a couple of games in that respect. 

Hopefully it comes soon as they take in feedback 

Missus watching the telly...

No worries. Deck out for a couple of hours of Elden Ring. Lovely. Potter about in Valheim? Yep, that works nicely. Fire up Half Life 2 for the first time since the Orange Box? Don’t mind if I do. Emerge hours later. HL2 is great on Deck. Obviously runs buttery smooth, still looks nice, sounds great and controls perfectly. Going to enjoy this playthrough a lot.

Properly loving the Deck. This thing is going to get so much use.

7 hours ago, bradigor said:

The system needs better built in accessibility options at system level. Even something as simple as a zoom hotkey or text to speech. 

Struggled with a couple of games in that respect. 

Hopefully it comes soon as they take in feedback 

A magnifier does exist - I think it's pressing the Steam key, left trigger and then mousing over whatever you want to read with the trackpad.

Big pro tips - you can also hold down the Steam key to get a cheat sheet of system commands at any point. They're also all mirrored to the QAM button as well, so if you're struggling to press a certain keywords combo, you can do it using the other menu button and vice-versa.

It's quite handy for universally used keyboard stuff (like exiting games with the escape key) and manually evoking the keyboard.

I do agree with TTS, although most of the current solutions involve using Android's TTS system, and I'm not sure how well that will hook into game code.

Ah thanks I missed that in the menu. 

In other news, I was listening to a few videos last night and didn't realise how simple it is to upgrade the 64gb drive. 

I think I'll get someone down the line to do that for me. It has to worth it really.

Compress_20220413_085716_6694.thumb.jpg.d29a84977494db1da85a27e40c6e0c79.jpg

:omg:

If you want a guide, it's here. I tried doing the install via Lutris and SteamOS, and it wasn't playing ball.

But anyway, as it's only 30fps by default, it only uses about 8w in-game so you get six hours or so out of the deck, and looks sharp as a tack in native 16:10.

Best thing, though? The dual trackpads can be mapped 1:1 with the numpad toolbar using the 'swipe action' function in Steam Input. I've always got force buffs by swiping up and left on the left trackpad, swiping down casts Ryuker instead of giving around with the quick menu. Meanwhile, swiping down on the right trackpad casts Rafoie, clicking casts Razonde and all three basic techs are on the other Cardinal directions.

It's so fucking good to have all of that AND have your pad controls available. It's pretty much my favourite way to play already, and I had a massive grin on my face at how intuitive it all is.

3 hours ago, Siri said:

A magnifier does exist - I think it's pressing the Steam key, left trigger and then mousing over whatever you want to read with the trackpad.

Thanks for this, I checked and it’s hold STEAM and L1, then mouse around with the right track pad.

It’s not the most comfy solution with the shite steam key and the gap between the two buttons, but it’s a bloody godsend in Disco Elysium.

Wonder if there’s a way to change the default to use one of the back buttons or the like?

32 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Ah thanks I missed that in the menu. 

In other news, I was listening to a few videos last night and didn't realise how simple it is to upgrade the 64gb drive. 

I think I'll get someone down the line to do that for me. It has to worth it really.

Ooh, are people starting to put out guides to upgrade the storage? Have you got any links please?

9 minutes ago, mr twig said:

Ooh, are people starting to put out guides to upgrade the storage? Have you got any links please?

I'll find it when home from the clinic for you 

31 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Wonder if there’s a way to change the default to use one of the back buttons or the like?

Turns out you can! When you select an action for a button, there's a 'system' subsection that lets you assign the magnifier toggle.

5 hours ago, Siri said:

Turns out you can! When you select an action for a button, there's a 'system' subsection that lets you assign the magnifier toggle.

@Siri Thank you. That is impressively flexible! I've used that to change it in Disco Elysium, so I now just click (not hold) L4 and that toggles magnifier on, I can then pan about and actually read stuff(!) using the right trackpad as a mouse, and when I'm done just click L4 again to go back to normal view. Amazing and game saving for these old eyes.

'Minor' Death Stranding: Directors Cut update of 34gb....the biggest issue being that I have to now download it twice.  

What is with all of the teeny updates though?  They are relentless. 

8 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

'Minor' Death Stranding: Directors Cut update of 34gb....the biggest issue being that I have to now download it twice.  

What is with all of the teeny updates though?  They are relentless.

They're shader cache updates. I think it's a feature you can disable but no idea on the impact. Do a little search and you'll find a bunch of discussion about how it started showing up last year.

14 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

They're shader cache updates. I think it's a feature you can disable but no idea on the impact. Do a little search and you'll find a bunch of discussion about how it started showing up last year.

But why don't I get them on desktop, but I do on Deck?  

PS Now working on Deck...now!

1 hour ago, Mitchell said:

But why don't I get them on desktop, but I do on Deck?  

Shader caches are dependent on your graphics card, so the variety of cards available makes them relatively unfeasible to provide on desktop machines. Typically, games compile shaders on the fly as you play (and hence cache the results), or during a lengthy initialisation period. As every Deck has the same hardware, they can be delivered just like any other data, avoiding the hiccups that are normally associated with them.

Digital Foundry has been looking at how the Steam Deck copes with modern bells and whistles via Windows drivers:

Crib notes:

- Most of this is Windows only because the open source drivers don't have the feature set yet (it's noted in the comments that RADV ray-tracing is in beta stages, which is the driver set Valve uses in SteamOS)

- Flight Sim, with a couple of compromises to things like the sky rendering not being completely bonkers, holds up against the 30fps experience that the Series S enjoys

- Metro Exodus' TAAU upscaling again matches the 30fps hardware ray-tracing experience had on the Series S

- You can get fully pathed ray tracing on Quake 2 RTX at 60fps.. if you set it to about the same 240p resolution that the original game's software rendering did back in the day :ph34r:

- UE5 thrashes the deck at about 20fps at most during the valley bench, but conversely UE5 has optimisations to go through so it runs better on.. well, everything other than £700 (RRP) graphics cards

It's certainly interesting to see, although I think the biggest take-home is that Temporal Upscaling is going to be a big deal to get all the fancy effects going, which the Deck will greatly benefit from to keep framerates high while looking good on a handheld screen.

Will still be fucking off all Shadow detail for 60fps, just like water will still be wet in 20XX

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK