IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I decided to look through my Switch wishlist....

Don't need that

Don't need that

Got already on Steam

Don't need that

Got

etc

Almost everything I am waiting for on Switch is either already in my Steam library and playable on the Steam Deck or coming soon to both systems anyway.

Case in point. I have been eagerly awaiting the Switch release of Wreckfest... Well I already own it on Steam and it is SD ready, so installed last night and it was fantastic. Carrying over my (albeit limited*) progression flawlessly. 

Another is MLB The Show 22. I get a comparible experience via Xbox Cloud Gaming on the Deck as I do on Switch, but the controls are ten times better on the Deck. 

As I'm a couple of endings into Hatoful Boyfriend and I can start skipping a load of the dialogue, I've just started GTAIV on the deck. Considering how much shit the PC port (rightfully) gets, it runs really well, and far better than the mini PC.

Of course, a new expansion of No Man's Sky is out, and now that's downloading while I top off the battery. I haven't even thought about my wishlist as I'm already drowning in an embarrassment of riches.

Also, Bluetooth is great on the deck. Connects to my X-Box headset without any grief, sounds decent and the audio mixing between the Deck and XBox works well.

On 11/04/2022 at 22:40, disperse and recoagulate said:

Email thanking me for the order was Fri, Jul 16, 2021, 6:22 PM and the body of the email says date issued 16 Jul, 2021 @ 6:19pm BST, so I guess I was a bit slow.

Forgot the deposit was only £4. :lol:

Oh heck, my order went through at 1805 and I got the email at 1807. 

Based on nothing more than comparing out order times then maybe you'll get yours in early June. 

The waiting is definitely frustrating but at least you know you have a place in the queue for one. 

Right I've had a play with it added games, but going to remove a few of the AAA ones, namely as they are huge. Free up some space and then get EmuDeck and a couple of titles from itch.io that I'd like on iot. (Such as Pushamo)

I love how open this thing is from the get go. 

Oh Christ, I forgot about the Ukraine bundle.

I've already been having some issues with installing Heroic and Lutris that I've left them on the back burner until they're more idiot friendly, but I'd be tempted to get Baldi's Basics and Golf Peaks on there.

As for the current end of the preorder queue, nobody has a crystal ball for that. I'd imagine 7-9 months is going to be the turnaround for people who ordered Day 1, but that's without taking into account future component shortages and/or production scaling. You could certainly put in an order and have a reserve time to reference, but it's still as reliable as reading tea leaves at the end of the day.

I'm so close to cancelling. Realised my phone can handle up to PS2 emulation and I got a Nacon MGX for cheap and its great playing classic PES and Outrun 2 on it. 

Like I mentioned in the income squeeze thread I could easily stick it on eBay and make a bit of profit. I sold a bunch of stuff some time ago to fund the deck and maybe I'm just safer keeping that money for bills. 

Maybe I could do a RLLMUK raffle or something! 

Oops. I think I fucked something up. My Deck has got stuck in a boot loop after exiting desktop mode. So now sorting a recovery image. Hoping I can at least just re-install rather than have to do a factory reset.

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Oops. I think I fucked something up. My Deck has got stuck in a boot loop after exiting desktop mode. So now sorting a recovery image. Hoping I can at least just re-install rather than have to do a factory reset.

Power off, then power on holding down ‘+’. It’ll take you to some options. I solved my deck not recognising anything plugged into it this way. 

Using the D-Pad and A to select, navigate to "Setup Utility"

Navigate to the Power Menu

Choose Battery storage mode, and confirm.

2 minutes ago, bignige said:

Power off, then power on holding down ‘+’. It’ll take you to some options. I solved my deck not recognising anything plugged into it this way. 

Yeah tried that and none seemed to work, still just booted to a mouse pointer and flickering screen. The only thing I did new today was plug in a USB-c hub for Mouse and Keyboard (well mouse) I am wondering if that messed something up, or if it was the installs of Celeste and Pushamo. 

13 minutes ago, bignige said:

Using the D-Pad and A to select, navigate to "Setup Utility"

Navigate to the Power Menu

Choose Battery storage mode, and confirm.

Didn't work, but this is interesting. 

My issue came after installing Celeste. So beware. 

Valve have concluded my Steam Deck is lost or stolen and have refunded. Flipping Parcel Farce.

"I've investigated this situation and refunded your Steam Deck purchase. Please allow 3-5 business days for the funds to appear.

Unfortunately, we are unable to send replacement devices for missing or stolen orders."

Gutted but first world problems and all that. I've ordered another and have plenty of other toys to play around with until they try and send one again.

That's absolutely shitty that Valve couldn't even offer a moderately timed replacement for someone who's pre-ordered on Day 1. It's not your problem that the courier is incompetent enough that Valve can consider it lost and claim back on insurance agreements, and any pre-order now is practically Q4.

51 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

How long does delivery typically take for paid UK orders? :eyebrows:

About a week if you're not unlucky, takes a couple of days for the customs dept to figure things out.

After my issue yesterday I created a recovery drive and managed to reinstall SteamOS was pretty simple. 

Huge relief and I still have emudeck installed at desktop level so can get back to that at a later date.

5 hours ago, Big Swifty said:

Unfortunately, we are unable to send replacement devices for missing or stolen orders."

That's really rough with such a long waiting list, it reminds me of the early PS5 orders being stolen. Luckily summer is here (for one day only) - no need for a Steam Deck until winter returns. 😅

43 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

How!?

For Coast 2 Coast, You can either:

- Play the PC version through Wine/Proton,

- Play the PS2 version via PCSX2, or

- Play the PSP version via PPSSPP.

I don't think Xemu or CXBX-Reloaded are mature enough emulators to play the XBox version, but they'll likey be able to on the deck when if and when they improve compatibility.

Although at that point, you might as well play Outrun Online Arcade via RPCS3 or Xenia, as they're being worked on at faster rates for obvious format-related reasons.

I did play some NMS myself - there's a bit of hitching when you go between orbits when you're playing on an SD card, but it's very playable otherwise. And the trackpads are great for aiming the mining beam properly.

But I'm still in love with GTA4 on this thing - I think I'm about halfway through the story, and it's only really having slight frame drops in the midst of built-up city areas like around near Playboy X's apartment so far. It even doesn't shit the bed when I put it in suspend, and considering the port, I wouldn't expect the engine being able to handle it. But it, well, does.

Still living in the Lands Between on my Deck. And will be for a looong time to come.

This was my main use case from the moment the hardware was announced, come to life some 9 months later, and playing perfectly.

Feel like I’m living the dream. So very, very content. Everything else, and there is a lot else, is honestly gravy right now.

I'm using PPSSPP for OutRun. Works really well and buttery smooth too. 

Feels a little weird on something so big compared to the PSP and Vita. 

I'm not going to add any more just yet, but happy with how simple it was to do. 

Ok, also managed to get Super Mario 3D World on there too (Switch version) and that runs really well too. This machine is incredible. Tempted to grab a couple of the Switch games I struggle with on the Switch screen and see if they are better for me on the Deck.

Amazingly both OutRun and SM3DW both act like they are native to the Deck when in gaming mode. 

This isn't going to make me pirate the games, far from it. More than happy to buy in the future and just run them on the Deck.  

@SiriI've had loads of trouble with Xenia on PC, but if I can get that to run Droplitz on the Steam Deck I'll be in heaven.

If it helps @bradigor, the PS3 version of Droplitz works great via RPCS3 on Steam Deck.

There was a native PC version on Steam as well, but it's been taken down.

Xenia is a little problematic because most of its optimisations are on DX12, and there's no official binary for Linux, but from my understanding the current Canary build can be ran through WINE.

Again, though, if there's a PS3 version that can be ran with little fuss on Linux, it's hard to justify anything else until builds/flatpaks start appearing for the other emulators. I didn't install RPCS3 until this morning, and it took a matter of minutes to get it going even while consulting a guide for problems I was having while attempting it blind.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK