Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

This thing is amazing. Anyone running GTAV? I run it from epic games through Heroic, but get some mad stutters/freezes (sometimes for a second or two), that don’t seem to be related to performance. I’ve tried all sorts of settings, but they still occur. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, simonski said:

This thing is amazing. Anyone running GTAV? I run it from epic games through Heroic, but get some mad stutters/freezes (sometimes for a second or two), that don’t seem to be related to performance. I’ve tried all sorts of settings, but they still occur. Any ideas?

My guess (I still need to get Heroic working, my time is spent on GTA4!) is that it's likely down to the game building a shader cache as it plays through Proton/Vulkan - Steam games get away with it because it also downloads that cache along with the game as other people play through it and Valve can distribute that data to people who also own the game, but most other clients don't think about that because it's catering to Windows.

You could try changing the version of DirectX that's being used by GTAV in the game's settings, capping the framerate in-game as opposed to the overlay, and/or changing the game's attributes to enable/disable esync and/or fsync - should be an option for that in the Heroic launcher. Hopefully, one of those should help alleviate any issues. You could also try verifying the download or moving it between internal and SD card to make sure if it's not a storage speed issue, but that can be a nuisance.

16 minutes ago, Siri said:

My guess (I still need to get Heroic working, my time is spent on GTA4!) is that it's likely down to the game building a shader cache as it plays through Proton/Vulkan - Steam games get away with it because it also downloads that cache along with the game as other people play through it and Valve can distribute that data to people who also own the game, but most other clients don't think about that because it's catering to Windows.

You could try changing the version of DirectX that's being used by GTAV in the game's settings, capping the framerate in-game as opposed to the overlay, and/or changing the game's attributes to enable/disable esync and/or fsync - should be an option for that in the Heroic launcher. Hopefully, one of those should help alleviate any issues. You could also try verifying the download or moving it between internal and SD card to make sure if it's not a storage speed issue, but that can be a nuisance.

Thank you, will start giving all that a try, but yes, shader cache could be causing it. 

3 hours ago, Siri said:

If it helps @bradigor, the PS3 version of Droplitz works great via RPCS3 on Steam Deck.

There was a native PC version on Steam as well, but it's been taken down.

Xenia is a little problematic because most of its optimisations are on DX12, and there's no official binary for Linux, but from my understanding the current Canary build can be ran through WINE.

Again, though, if there's a PS3 version that can be ran with little fuss on Linux, it's hard to justify anything else until builds/flatpaks start appearing for the other emulators. I didn't install RPCS3 until this morning, and it took a matter of minutes to get it going even while consulting a guide for problems I was having while attempting it blind.

Further to this... does RPCS3 need any bios files to run? I should probably try and find an updated bios pack for Steam Deck.

Anyone installed blur? 

Followed the steps apart from the installer wouldn't run with proton experimental. Figured that was just because the version had moved on so switched to 7. Setup.exe then runs but it's just hangs and although it creates the directories it doesn't seem to go any further.

8 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Further to this... does RPCS3 need any bios files to run? I should probably try and find an updated bios pack for Steam Deck.

Nope, RPCS3 does things a little differently - it asks you to download the firmware update that's available on Sony's website, and then you install it into RPCS3 so it has all the gubbins you need to play games. Well, except for the games themselves, ofc :ph34r:

I got Heroic working - turns out all I had to do to get around the error I had was reselecting the proton version I wanted to use. Tony Hawk, here I come!

8 minutes ago, luckypierre said:

Anyone installed blur? 

Followed the steps apart from the installer wouldn't run with proton experimental. Figured that was just because the version had moved on so switched to 7. Setup.exe then runs but it's just hangs and although it creates the directories it doesn't seem to go any further.

I haven't tried it, but from my experience installing PSO blue burst, you might be better off downloading the Wine flatpak from the discover store and running the installer through that. At the very least, it'll get you through it and then you do with the files as you wish. Should be a guide I linked a few posts back.

8 minutes ago, Siri said:

Nope, RPCS3 does things a little differently - it asks you to download the firmware update that's available on Sony's website, and then you install it into RPCS3 so it has all the gubbins you need to play games. Well, except for the games themselves, ofc :ph34r:

I got Heroic working - turns out all I had to do to get around the error I had was reselecting the proton version I wanted to use. Tony Hawk, here I come!

Ah ok, I need to find the instructions. Also Droplitz ios a pkg so need top find a way to convert it to a Game Folder. Busy today now so will have a play with a fresh head tomorrow.  

44 minutes ago, luckypierre said:

Anyone installed blur? 

Seeing as the screen isn’t OLED, isn’t every game blur already?

2 hours ago, Siri said:

I haven't tried it, but from my experience installing PSO blue burst, you might be better off downloading the Wine flatpak from the discover store and running the installer through that. At the very least, it'll get you through it and then you do with the files as you wish. Should be a guide I linked a few posts back.

That worked, cheers. Yellow screen instead of videos but other than that runs pretty well.

6 minutes ago, luckypierre said:

That worked, cheers. Yellow screen instead of videos but other than that runs pretty well.

Ah, probably has to do with the codec. I'm guessing you can point Wine-GE or Proton to where the game's installed and it might figure it out. I'm not really sure how to add a codec to an existing WINE prefix, unfortunately.

I've been having a ballache getting THPS 1&2 to run properly - first load let me play the game without any textures, and after that it doesn't run beyond the opening videos, annoyingly. Hades and Art of Rally run perfectly fine from Heroic, however, so it probably needs more finessing.

1 hour ago, luckypierre said:

Any chance of a step by step? I got lost.

18 hours ago, Siri said:

For Coast 2 Coast, You can either:

- Play the PC version through Wine/Proton,

- Play the PS2 version via PCSX2, or

- Play the PSP version via PPSSPP.

I don't think Xemu or CXBX-Reloaded are mature enough emulators to play the XBox version, but they'll likey be able to on the deck when if and when they improve compatibility.

Although at that point, you might as well play Outrun Online Arcade via RPCS3 or Xenia, as they're being worked on at faster rates for obvious format-related reasons.

I did play some NMS myself - there's a bit of hitching when you go between orbits when you're playing on an SD card, but it's very playable otherwise. And the trackpads are great for aiming the mining beam properly.

But I'm still in love with GTA4 on this thing - I think I'm about halfway through the story, and it's only really having slight frame drops in the midst of built-up city areas like around near Playboy X's apartment so far. It even doesn't shit the bed when I put it in suspend, and considering the port, I wouldn't expect the engine being able to handle it. But it, well, does.

Cheers! I’ll renew my desperate checking of my email with renewed gusto. 

11 minutes ago, luckypierre said:

At what point? The only thing I did different was to download wine and open setup.exe with that rather than adding it to steam

Ah ok, so after that you can then add to Steam to open from there? Once installed

13 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Ah ok, so after that you can then add to Steam to open from there? Once installed

Yeah, did everything else more or less the same. Just had to use the PSO guide Siri linked to work out where the blur exe is. It's under a similar path but in the game folder

45 minutes ago, luckypierre said:

Yeah, did everything else more or less the same. Just had to use the PSO guide Siri linked to work out where the blur exe is. It's under a similar path but in the game folder

I am doing something wrong... It just crashes every time I try to load setup.exe with Wine

Edit: Actually now getting a bunch of error popups followed by a 'file not found' error

Edit 2: Ah, having only 64GB is the issue. Had to move the extracted iso to my SD card to make space.

FYI: after you've installed, you can actually just move the entire installed folder to the SD card as well, point Steam towards the executable, set the compatibility layer to Proton when you're back in SteamOS and it'll just work. Now I know that, I'll probably end up moving PSO as well to free up some space.

I'm getting the yellow video thing even with the GoldenEggroll version of Proton, however. I think it's the Bink Video DLLs mucking things up, so I'm going to see if moving/renaming them forces the game to refer to system level stuff, which then should make calls to ProtonGE.

33 minutes ago, Siri said:

FYI: after you've installed, you can actually just move the entire installed folder to the SD card as well, point Steam towards the executable, set the compatibility layer to Proton when you're back in SteamOS and it'll just work. Now I know that, I'll probably end up moving PSO as well to free up some space.

I'm getting the yellow video thing even with the GoldenEggroll version of Proton, however. I think it's the Bink Video DLLs mucking things up, so I'm going to see if moving/renaming them forces the game to refer to system level stuff, which then should make calls to ProtonGE.

All working now, bar the yellow video thing.

So if I move the entire blur folder to (eg) "sd/pc games/blur" and point the Entry in Steam to the .exe in there, it will work the same and I can then delete (in bold) "/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/[random numbers folder]/pfx/drive_c/Games/Blur"

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

Wait, Outrun 2 doesn’t work officially?

I'm very certain It can run, if you bought it on Steam at the time. There's reports on the Steam discussion forum that it works, if that alleviates your concerns. It's just there's no official reports or verification reports because it's not available to buy digitally any more.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

I'm very certain It can run, if you bought it on Steam at the time. There's reports on the Steam discussion forum that it works, if that alleviates your concerns. It's just there's no official reports or verification reports because it's not available to buy digitally any more.

That being the case I’ll be sure to report back when my Deck arrives later in the year! 

Tinkering fun tonight. Got BLUR working and SSX Tricky. 

Metroid Prime Trilogy boots properly in Primehacks but none of the controls work at all. So some research needed there. 

Dreamcast runs wonderfully though with Daytona and Sega Rally 2 

In some ways this thread is the epitome of PC gaming. All the time spent fiddling and not really playing. Although at least in this case it's about most things running well rather than the odd tweaks to gain 5 FPS I'd how to get the sound blaster drivers working.

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

In some ways this thread is the epitome of PC gaming. All the time spent fiddling and not really playing. Although at least in this case it's about most things running well rather than the odd tweaks to gain 5 FPS I'd how to get the sound blaster drivers working.

On the other hand I have fiddled with nothing bar locking it to 30fps when I played Elden Ring. I have about 500 games available that work on the deck and all I've done is hit install and then play exactly like a switch. 

It's up to you how much you want to mess around to get things like emulators and other storefronts working. I have no interest in it right now so I'm fine with the hundreds of games I own that work out of the box.

It's also the case that, with it being a new thing in the hands of a slowly increasing number around the world, people just want to fuck around with it.

The reason why we're talking about getting commercially unavailable games running on the deck is simply because it's something you can do.

As mentioned, you can also play Elden Ring for 30+ hours or whatever on earth by buying it and pressing the play button. They're not mutually exclusive parts of the conversation, and if it was just five or so people playing ER on Steam Decks this thread would be, from a personal standpoint, tiresome.

On 17/04/2022 at 02:49, bradigor said:

Ok, also managed to get Super Mario 3D World on there too (Switch version) and that runs really well too. This machine is incredible. Tempted to grab a couple of the Switch games I struggle with on the Switch screen and see if they are better for me on the Deck.

Amazingly both OutRun and SM3DW both act like they are native to the Deck when in gaming mode. 

This isn't going to make me pirate the games, far from it. More than happy to buy in the future and just run them on the Deck. 

However I think the Deck will be a boon for people who don’t want to deal with a Switch, its joycons or pay full price for first-party Nintendo releases. I don’t think it will make a noticeable difference to Nintendo’s bottom line but there will be plenty of people pirating these games who simply wouldn’t buy a Switch anyway.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK