Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

5 hours ago, Siri said:

When did you complete the order for it?

IIRC, I didn't get any update from either Parcelforce or GLS for a few days before it finally got through customs and everything updated on both fronts, so I'd imagine it would take longer given the bank holiday. Given it took a week without a bank holiday, I'd give it a ten day turnaround from when the order was completed.

Paid for it on the seventh, it shipped on the twelfth and there's been no update since the thirteenth. I'm sure it'll be fine, I just want it now. 😆

TIL that I've been using the back paddles completely wrong.

Because I've used back paddles on the XBox Elite pad and the OG Steam Controller, I was finding that the paddles were a lot firmer than anticipated when attempting to squeeze them to do things.

Turns out, on the Steam Deck it's the polar opposite to actuate them - if you press the very top (or perceived 'joint') of the paddle, towards you and not your palms, you only need the slightest touch and it feels a whole lot better to use.

Something to watch out for - it's completely counter intuitive based on standard controllers, but when I read about it and gave it a go in NMS it felt miles better and I could hammer the run button without wearing my fingers to nubs.

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Vampire survivors obliterates the battery. This didn't make sense given the graphics but the I realised its obviously hammering the cpu. 

You can probably check with the overlay how much graphics power VS is using and cap the GPU clock speed, and then lower the TDP cap as well. That'll give more juice to the CPU side and keep things running while conserving battery. Although that 60fps eventually drops to 30fps on that game's performance mode, anyway. Probably needs more improvements.

Is there any place to send in improvement thoughts to Valve? I've realised that getting demos is actually super rubbish in the SteamOS UI - as in, I think there's no actual way to download unless the game is out. I went to get a hold of the new Deadcraft demo, and the only way to do it was to go into desktop mode and start the download there. Seems like a really big oversight.

On the bright side, said demo ran on Proton without any problems. OTOH, the game itself is also kinda clunky so I'm already put off buying it. Oh well.

Just got the confirmation for mine, can't wait for it to arrive. 

I might have missed the posts, but are there any recommended first time set up guides? I'm interested in emulation, I think I saw some stuff about that going around. 

Can you do Game Pass / Epic / Steam / Emulation all in tandem?

26 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Just got the confirmation for mine, can't wait for it to arrive. 

I might have missed the posts, but are there any recommended first time set up guides? I'm interested in emulation, I think I saw some stuff about that going around. 

I haven't followed his guide yet but Russ from Retro Game Corps has a few videos up about the Deck. 

9 minutes ago, smithstock said:

If you insist on installing Game Pass games, you need to install Windows - either by setting up a dual boot arrangement or writing over SteamOS. It's not worth the latter just yet because sound drivers haven't been prepared by AMD yet.

Streaming Game Pass games via a browser, EGS (via Heroic Games Launcher), Steam and Emulation should all be readily done on SteamOS, though - the browser setup is fiddly however.

In regards to emulation, there's a video a few pages back about EmuDeck from a channel called Retro Game Corps - it's a bit of software that will set everything up. I haven't got around to it myself, I've only stuffed RPCS3 on it so far.

@Strafe - I think I've seen someone play Teardown on the Deck via YouTube, but it's hidden under a bunch of, uh, teardown videos of the deck itself. The Turbo Overkill demo was a limited time deal, so I don't think anybody had Decks to test it so earliest will be from tomorrow. God knows about Abriss.

My deck showed up today, its not as big as I was expecting. Maybe its because I had a Wii-U I was used to dealing with a very chunky gaming tablet but I just thought it'd be bigger as so many reviews emphasize the chunkiness. 

Just installing a few bits and pieces now as well as exploring my Humble Bundle library and activating a bunch of stuff from there. I almost certainly have a bunch of keys on there I could get rid of. Pleasantly surprised that my key for Minecraft Story mode activated. I was certain it would have just errored out.  

31 minutes ago, Siri said:

@Strafe - I think I've seen someone play Teardown on the Deck via YouTube, but it's hidden under a bunch of, uh, teardown videos of the deck itself. The Turbo Overkill demo was a limited time deal, so I don't think anybody had Decks to test it so earliest will be from tomorrow. God knows about Abriss.

that explains why I couldn’t find it before!

it runs…pretty well?

I've had Teardown on my wishlist for ages but never been quite tempted to pull the trigger. 

Does it need dedication to play? Or can you casually pick it up now and again?

FYI: Lutris is now on Flathub and/or in Flatpak format, so it can be now installed on Steam Decks without disabling the read-only file system for SteamOS.

Great news, as that hooks into a fair few storefronts and had some recent revamps to make random Windows application installs a fair bit easier via a step-by-step wizard process.

8 minutes ago, Uzi said:

image.thumb.png.27dab2bd838474eba9239e4586707d62.png

Guessing this means even more compatible gams?

Yes, although the difference between this and the experimental Proton would probably be insignificant if you're using it already. There's a list here, but no doubt there will be some investigation on how this new version affects the rest of the unsupported catalogue of games.

45 minutes ago, Siri said:

FYI: Lutris is now on Flathub and/or in Flatpak format, so it can be now installed on Steam Decks without disabling the read-only file system for SteamOS.

Great news, as that hooks into a fair few storefronts and had some recent revamps to make random Windows application installs a fair bit easier via a step-by-step wizard process.

So will this allow me to get access to my Epic games via the Steam Deck then? I assume I'd run in desktop mode?

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

So will this allow me to get access to my Epic games via the Steam Deck then? I assume I'd run in desktop mode?

There's actually about three ways to get EGS games running on the deck - Lutris, Heroic and forcing the official EGS client to run via Proton. I'm currently using Heroic, but I'll probably switch to Lutris.

Lutris is a good application as it supports controllers to nagivate its grid view, handles multiple other storefronts, allows individual game settings and what compatibility layer is running for every game Lutris supports, has a community scripting system for problematic games (and even pulls game files for you if you don't have them readily available), and even lets you push an entry to SteamOS' library so you can access lutris-configured games via the Deck's interface if you don't want to link Lutris directly.

You'd need Desktop mode to add it to Steam, and it's probably better to set games up while the deck's controls are in the Desktop mode, but outside of that you can run it like other non-steam apps to manage it.

Does the novelty of something just working on this ever wear off? I installed Mashed and Outrun on this and they both worked which I was shocked about. Maybe Outrun should be running at a higher resolution but I'm just happy it worked at all. 

3 hours ago, bear said:

Does the novelty of something just working on this ever wear off? I installed Mashed and Outrun on this and they both worked which I was shocked about. Maybe Outrun should be running at a higher resolution but I'm just happy it worked at all. 

Honestly, no. It's a minor miracle compared to the bad old days of tux bowling and random card games with 90s Linux distros.

I'd like to redact my recommendation of Lutris for the time being on the Steam Deck, by the way - despite the use of the flatpak format, it still requires fucking around with dependencies and installing shit from the terminal. Which, uh, goes against the ethos of a flatpak in the first place.

Frankly, stick to Heroic or just straight up installing EGS via Steam itself if you want your free games on the deck without any hassle.

A feature I'd love to see is the option to sort the 'Great on Deck' section of the library by order games were added as Deck Verified. 

My GoD section grew by 4 games from 276 to 280 and can't work out what was added.

21 minutes ago, bradigor said:

A feature I'd love to see is the option to sort the 'Great on Deck' section of the library by order games were added as Deck Verified. 

My GoD section grew by 4 games from 276 to 280 and can't work out what was added.

You can find out here:

https://checkmydeck.herokuapp.com

Your Steam ID isn't your username, it's a 17-digit code hidden away in your Steam account pages somewhere.

Then sort it by the first column (LC) (last checked) and the most recent additions will be at the top.

47 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Valve really missed a trick by not labelling the Great on Deck games as GoD-tier. 

On 22/04/2022 at 10:16, bradigor said:

I've had Teardown on my wishlist for ages but never been quite tempted to pull the trigger. 

Does it need dedication to play? Or can you casually pick it up now and again?

Nah, it's great. It has a sandbox mode alongside the mission based 'story mode'.  It's fun just to destroy stuff and mess around.  

Edit:  Mod support too....

https://www.pcgamer.com/my-favorite-teardown-moments-after-46-hours-of-breaking-stuff/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social

How does the steam version of Forza Horizon 4 fare on this? As in, not the newest one, but the British-themed one? I understand 5 got a pretty Deck-tailored bunch of settings, since it was one of the earlier games that the press and influencers could demo and discuss, and my understanding is that FH4 on PC was pretty dodgy at release. Anyone got it and able to try it out on Deck for me please? Ta :hat: 

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK