Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

2 hours ago, AlexM said:

Has this replaced other consoles for anyone? So many YouTube reviews claim it has become their ‘main gaming device’.

I think it depends on what you typically play.

If you typically play PC games or indies then it's way easier to play them on the deck than sat at a desk using a monitor, if that's your main setup.

Those people must play it with it plugged in all the time. 

I'm getting one tomorrow. Basically my first gaming PC since the mid 90s and I have no clue about PC gaming in general now apart from a few games I fancy. 

I have really wanted one since it was announced as there are so many PC games I want to play. Then I realise they will be shite on deck (strategy games and the like)

Assuming you have Game Pass Unlimited and decent broadband, you can also play all those games on it for starters via XCloud.

But yes, 4X stuff with tiny text and mouse/kB input will be ‘suboptimal’ on Deck.

56 minutes ago, Ry said:

My steam deck won't make it past the installation screen. 

Fucking great. 

Yeah, mine took quite a while when I first turned it on. Just the valve logo for ages 

Yeah it's fine. I think the memory card being in may have been the problem. 

Took it out and restarted and it's up and running!

Yeah, when it comes to the deck not starting up from a cold boot, I always end up removing the SD card and it works pretty much instantly after that.

Handy to remember if an unsupported game crashes the entire unit (like with THPS1&2, which is inexplicably problematic compared to my mini PC.. which, uh, also uses Linux).

Apparently, V Rising is now supported with the latest bleeding edge Proton release, which is nice. I'll probably have a go if some clever bod designs a controller layout for it, as there's no official support yet.

Options > wherever the update function is, and switch the drop-down over to 'beta branch'. It's still in beta (arguably, everything is in SteamOS)

28 minutes ago, Siri said:

Apparently, V Rising is now supported with the latest bleeding edge Proton release, which is nice. I'll probably have a go if some clever bod designs a controller layout for it, as there's no official support yet.

Oh hello. Is it via one of teh GE releases?

This thing is mint. 

I'm not selling it. Even though I ended up paying £550 for it with a 256gb memory card and powerbank. It's only the 64gb version though. 

Already I can see me running into storage issues. 

4 minutes ago, Ry said:

This thing is mint. 

I'm not selling it. Even though I ended up paying £550 for it with a 256gb memory card and powerbank. It's only the 64gb version though. 

Already I can see me running into storage issues. 

I can only play a handful of games at a time and even then my 256gb has 50 games on it (mix of big and small games) 

Just now, Uzi said:

I can only play a handful of games at a time and even then my 256gb has 50 games on it (mix of big and small games) 

I'm going to have to limit my emulation needs I think. 

Just now, cavalcade said:

On the Trading forum in 6 months. I'm dibsing it now. 

It will be. As I have a 256gb ordered. 

I have buyers remorse already though. I'm flying out on holiday on Monday and it will get some use but I'm not sure when I'm going to use it in the house. It will probably just be my PS2/GC/DC/outrun 2 machine in house. :)

32 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Oh hello. Is it via one of teh GE releases?

Nah, Bleeding Edge Experimental is part of the official proton stuff. 

You should be able to access it by going into your library, finding Proton Experimental, going into it's settings and using the beta opt-in to select Bleeding Edge.

I'm looking to transfer some files from my phone to the steamdeck. Can I just use a usb c to usb c cable?

Are there any programs I need to download for file transfer? And if so how to I get them? Linux is scary. 

I would use my the laptop I bought on the cheap from someone on the forum but it's just unusable (since day one)

20 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm looking to transfer some files from my phone to the steamdeck. Can I just use a usb c to usb c cable?

Are there any programs I need to download for file transfer? And if so how to I get them? Linux is scary. 

You should just be able to drag them across. I havent tried with a phone, but did that with an external hard drive 

1 minute ago, Albert Fish said:

You should just be able to drag them across. I havent tried with a phone, but did that with an external hard drive 

Ok thanks. :)

V Rising 'works' but lots of issues so far including videos not working and controls being odd. Didn't help I am having a really poor vision day though.

I cant get arkham city to start even though its verified. Just opens to a strange old school pc screen and i need to cancel out. Anyone else have this issue?

Try running it using another version of proton. The only verified game that happened to me on it worked by going to experimental. 

But I've not heard of any issues. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I cant get arkham city to start even though its verified. Just opens to a strange old school pc screen and i need to cancel out. Anyone else have this issue?

If it is the Goty edition then you need to go into configure pc options, select settings and turn off full screen.

Spent all night trying to get PS2 and Xbox emulation working. 

PS2 for Pro Evo and Xbox for outrun. 

It's saying I don't have the bios files. I do and they are the correct ones. Every other system is fine. 

Anybody else had similar issues?

*Managed to fix PS2 via actual emulator setting and new scan. 

Leaving Xbox for now as it's a bit more of a pain in the arse. Will just play the PS2 version of outrun. 

Trying to get the emulators set up has took all night. It would have taken me 20 mins if I had a mouse and keyboard lol

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK