Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

Are you using emudeck and did you let it do everything default? I think retro game corps had a good video on how best to set up.

48 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Are you using emudeck and did you let it do everything default? I think retro game corps had a good video on how best to set up.

Yeah. Still had issues and did a workaround. 

Trying to play Outrun 2 PS2 version but it runs like shit. Seem stage PSP version is the way to go. 

Luckily pes 6 seems flawless. 

I do wonder what the version of PCSX2 is configured in Emudeck - the emulator itself is mostly getting updates in the main current because the people behind Retroarch are jeb ends.

Regardless, Outrun Online Arcade works very well on the standalone RPCS3. As does Ridge Racer 7, which I've been chewing through over lunchtimes and when I'm back home of an evening.

All I need is a cheap solar charger that delivers 45W, and then I can go live in a wood hut like the Tories intend for everyone other than millionaires. Or a houseboat! How romantically shanty.

So, I got my Steam Deck and it's pretty neat and all. It does require some tinkering though. E.g. Redout. According to https://www.protondb.com/app/517710 I need to install "Discover", then "Protontricks" and then "vcrun2019".

Where do I find "Discover"? It's not in the Store. Google search yields results such as "discover steam games".... O_O?!?!

Without looking at my own deck while at work, I would guess Protontricks needs both Wine and Winetricks installed as well - all Protontricks really does is the same thing as Winetricks, which in turn relies on Wine, with a couple of bits that points towards your Steam games. It's probably looking for a default setting, which doesn't exist because Proton handles files elsewhere. Both Wine and Winetricks will be in the store as well.

Usually, it will pop up with a Windows looking menu, and from there you'd select a prefix (aka. the container that Proton or Wine uses to house all the installed files for a game or program, emulating the windows file structure).

On 25/05/2022 at 06:37, Siri said:

I do wonder what the version of PCSX2 is configured in Emudeck - the emulator itself is mostly getting updates in the main current because the people behind Retroarch are jeb ends.

Regardless, Outrun Online Arcade works very well on the standalone RPCS3. As does Ridge Racer 7, which I've been chewing through over lunchtimes and when I'm back home of an evening.

All I need is a cheap solar charger that delivers 45W, and then I can go live in a wood hut like the Tories intend for everyone other than millionaires. Or a houseboat! How romantically shanty.

Are you getting a solid 60fps with Outrun online?

I have all my emulator needs set up except for a great port of Outrun. The PSP version still has dips which annoys me. 

On 25/05/2022 at 09:38, Count Buffalos said:

As an aside, how is the latency in PCSX2? I’ve read that it’s pretty dreadful but first hand experiences would be useful to help me decide whether to embark on the endeavour of setting it up.

I have been playing PES and not noticed any issues. And that's a game where you would really notice low latency.

3 minutes ago, Ry said:

Are you getting a solid 60fps with Outrun online?

I've noticed the occasional drop, but I've always chalked it down to shaders when something's happening the first time around.

I don't think PSP emulation does any caching, so your experience might be worse initially as a direct comparison.

33 minutes ago, Siri said:

I've noticed the occasional drop, but I've always chalked it down to shaders when something's happening the first time around.

I don't think PSP emulation does any caching, so your experience might be worse initially as a direct comparison.

Thanks

I wasnt bothered about PS3 emulation but will look to getting it set up for this. (And MGS3 HD as that runs great so ive seen)

It's surprisingly good on PS3 games that aren't a nightmare to emulate full stop - I've been playing Ridge 7 whenever I've got the time, and within the problems the game has via emulation in general, it's great to play to the point I've dumped several hours into it out of habit. I'll probably get around to VF5 soon, as I can't be arsed installing Yakuza LAD to just play that!

Setup is fairly simple, as well - the only thing the emulator asks you to do is get the most recent PS3 update file from Sony's website, and then it sorts itself out. Miles better than the bad old days of PCSX2's plugin system (although that's also been trashed in the latest versions of the emulator, thankfully)

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Got mine. The screen is shit compared to the switch. It’s fucking massive too. Time to try out some ancient steam games. 

I love that hate yours and made sure I was subscribed to the thread for your updates 

3 hours ago, alex3d said:

So, I got my Steam Deck and it's pretty neat and all. It does require some tinkering though. E.g. Redout. According to https://www.protondb.com/app/517710 I need to install "Discover", then "Protontricks" and then "vcrun2019".

Where do I find "Discover"? It's not in the Store. Google search yields results such as "discover steam games".... O_O?!?!

Eh what is this about? For emulation? 

Just now, Uzi said:

Eh what is this about? For emulation? 

Redout no longer works with game update 1.7.

edit: got it to work by using Proton Experimental though...

Yeah every game I've tried just changing the proton version in the deck menu fixed it. Never needed to install anything or go into desktop mode 

2 hours ago, Siri said:

It's surprisingly good on PS3 games that aren't a nightmare to emulate full stop - I've been playing Ridge 7 whenever I've got the time, and within the problems the game has via emulation in general, it's great to play to the point I've dumped several hours into it out of habit. I'll probably get around to VF5 soon, as I can't be arsed installing Yakuza LAD to just play that!

Setup is fairly simple, as well - the only thing the emulator asks you to do is get the most recent PS3 update file from Sony's website, and then it sorts itself out. Miles better than the bad old days of PCSX2's plugin system (although that's also been trashed in the latest versions of the emulator, thankfully)

I have the update and dropped it in emudeck bios and added outrun but it's not finding it. 

Do the games need to not be in a folder? As Outrun has a few files I just dropped the folder into PS3 ROMs. 

43 minutes ago, Ry said:

I have the update and dropped it in emudeck bios and added outrun but it's not finding it. 

Do the games need to not be in a folder? As Outrun has a few files I just dropped the folder into PS3 ROMs. 

I don't know how Emudeck does things, but on the standalone RPCS3 emulator, you pointed the firmware file during the setup process, and installed the game via the emulator settings.

46 minutes ago, Siri said:

I don't know how Emudeck does things, but on the standalone RPCS3 emulator, you pointed the firmware file during the setup process, and installed the game via the emulator settings.

Emudeck with PS3 isn't working right at all for me. Will give this a go. 

Sorry for all my questions, new owner here and a bit overwhelmed ;)

Acc. to protondb.com I need to do the following to make Syberia run: "Added a player.ini file in steamapps/common/Syberia with a single line: 800 600 32 0 BaseCMO.cmo"

Do I have to do all the typing and righ-clicking with the digital SD keyboard or is there an easier way to do such tasks?

1 minute ago, alex3d said:

Sorry for all my question, new owner here ;)

Acc. to protondb.com I need to do the following to make Syberia run: "Added a player.ini file in steamapps/common/Syberia with a single line: 800 600 32 0 BaseCMO.cmo"

Do I have to do all the typing and righ-clicking with the digital SD keyboard or is there an easier way to do such tasks?

You can certainly plug in a keyboard and mouse if you want to do it that way - either by USB (I would imagine with a hub, as it's USB-C on the deck), or via Bluetooth.

I would imagine there's some fancy way to remote into the Linux desktop with some software, or you could transfer the file to another computer, edit it and send it back (wirelessly between Linux/Windows that can be done with Warpinator, or hardware wise with a USB drive).

So, you've got more choices than the virtual keyboard if you so desire!

Hmmm... not gonna lie: bit disappointed that nearly all of the games I have tested so far require some tinkering (Olli Olli, Inertial Drift, Redout), some don't run at all (Syberia), some had one or two freezes (Rocket League). 

I had no issues with Oli Oli World. Redout - the demo - was very choppy set to 60fps until I bumped the frame rate up to 240 and whacked everything else up to ultra or very high and then it couldn’t shake a 60 lock.

PCs are weird lol.

With OlliOlli (the original), might be worth checking if it really is going through Proton in the settings.

There's a very peculiar situation with SteamOS where if there's a native Linux version of the game, it'll download it - but it's actually worse than forcing Steam to download the Windows version of a game and running it through Proton.

Borderlands 2 is a prime candidate for this phenomenon - the native Linux version it downloads by default is absolute dogshit in terms of stability, both overall and in terms of FPS. You tell it to get you the Windows version by forcing it to run on a proton version, and it's absolutely fine. It's wild.

Why the hell are download speeds so shit?

I can't get past 9mbs. Even though I put the bandwidth allowance up to 1000000kps. 

My Xbox averages around 40mps. 

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK