Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I get 50 but depending on what's being written to the SD it will drop at times. On 1gbps via Virgin Media 

Are you downloading to the SSD or SD? What make, model, rating is the SD? 

49 minutes ago, Ry said:

Why the hell are download speeds so shit?

I can't get past 9mbs. Even though I put the bandwidth allowance up to 1000000kps. 

My Xbox averages around 40mps. 

I've not got one to experiment with yet but I've heard a bit of piss lubricates the internet data bus nicely. Could this be why your xbox is performing above expectation?

Shipping Status: Processing :omg:

And baws, I'm away on holiday from Saturday for a week. Hopefully I can delay the delivery until I'm back. 

Got soft banned for too many failed transactions so didn't manage to get order done until 7:12pm for the 256Gb. Prob 20 mins earlier I'd have been able to take with me on holiday lol

Looks like all the mod cons of the beta branch have been pushed to a new update for stable, namely:

- the 40-60hz refresh rate selector

- updated fan curve

- more internal resolutions to drive FSR options in certain games

- audio gain correction, and reducing white noise from the 3.5mm jack

And a couple of things are new to me (but probably exist), namely switching accounts via the power button and Remote Play Together being fully functional (both for hosting and being a remote play client to other Steam computers).

Happy days - I'll probably move and stick to stable until the next megaton feature shows up.

15 hours ago, mr twig said:

I've not got one to experiment with yet but I've heard a bit of piss lubricates the internet data bus nicely. Could this be why your xbox is performing above expectation?

Excellent work my man. 🤣

15 hours ago, bradigor said:

I get 50 but depending on what's being written to the SD it will drop at times. On 1gbps via Virgin Media 

Are you downloading to the SSD or SD? What make, model, rating is the SD? 

It's a Samsung 256gb pro. Supposedly the best SD card you can get. 

It's the same speed on SD or internal. Can't ever go above 9mbs

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

That’s great news - if it’s the optimal fan curve they had a beta or two ago.

My understanding is that it is. They already pulled the newer fan curve modification that was in the beta branch until it's finessed more.

With the stable branch release, you do get a toggle between the initial (bios-driven) fan curve and this one in the options.

Anyway, I'm now on leave, so it's time to play videogames - and if I get gout from onboarding Allopurinol, I can just play PC games from my bed. Whee!

Updating today on the beta branch has stalled and it won't restart (stuck "Shutting down Steam..."). Not searched for a known issue yet just wanted to give a heads up here first.

Point and click adventures seem to be nightmare-ish on the SD. Does anyone know how I can get the trackpad to operate as a mouse in Gabriel Knight: Sins of our Fathers Remastered? Only touchscreen works...

This device is driving me nuts. Accord. to ProtonDB I need to do the following to make Monkey Island 1 run: 

edit local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/32360/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/LucasArts/The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition/Settings.ini

I don't have a Settings.ini in that folder...?!?!

Have you tried running the game to generate a settings file? If it's not there in the first place on install, it probably does it when the game runs initially.

As for controls, Consider looking into that profile and adapting it to suit your tastes, too. Here's a guide.

I personally like to amend the mouse trackpad to be 'Mouse Region' when I'm playing games that need both fine motor movement and being able to move a pointer to each edge of the screen quickly - It's great for complex RPG/VN menus like World of Horror:

image.thumb.png.58bb5a0836f813b79661babf39475c81.png

I basically tap the right of the trackpad on where the cluster of buttons roughly is, roll my thumb to the right action and press down to leftclick it. It's very convenient.

4 minutes ago, alex3d said:

This device is driving me nuts. Accord. to ProtonDB I need to do the following to make Monkey Island 1 run: 

edit local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/32360/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/LucasArts/The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition/Settings.ini

I don't have a Settings.ini in that folder...?!?!

It says its classed playable on steam? Is it not working? 

I've not had to do anything outside of Steam OS to make a verified or playable game runs. Are you the dekay of the deck?

20 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I've not had to do anything outside of Steam OS to make a verified or playable game runs. Are you the dekay of the deck?

I quote this user here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/1/3267932441833930006/

"If Valve marks the game as playable they should have accounted for that scenario and not download the ini file, or something. Worst part is that there is zero information as to why the game crashes."

Seriously, I wasn't expecting this sort of experience at all.

18 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I've actually just tried the game that the report shows up on, out of interest.

The game.. just worked. I think it's a report to fix something if the game didn't work on launch for some reason.

I'll try it in a bit but I've literally loaded up 50 ish games and aside from changing the proton version on 2 or 3 of them, every single one of them worked without a single issue.

Was trying to install gamepass, and when pasting in the text for the launcher through properties...wiped out the start text by mistake...can someone tell me the full text please, or just the bits before --window-size=1024,640 --force-device-scale-factor=1.25 --device-scale-factor=1.25 --kiosk "https://www.xbox.com/play" please.

23 minutes ago, Bonzai1888 said:

Was trying to install gamepass, and when pasting in the text for the launcher through properties...wiped out the start text by mistake...can someone tell me the full text please, or just the bits before --window-size=1024,640 --force-device-scale-factor=1.25 --device-scale-factor=1.25 --kiosk "https://www.xbox.com/play" please.

I need to set mine up tomorrow. Will let you know then. 

On another note. Been looking through all the games on protonDB that are playable/verified and picking up steam keys for pennies. 

Srreetfighter 5 runs perfect but ain't verified. Same for Blazblue (got both for less than a fiver) 

Bought New Vegas on the cheap as well. Amazing to be replaying it at high settings at 60fps. I last played it on 360 where it never ran great. 

I have always wanted to play Rome Total war and it runs perfect on this according to videos but I don't think I can handle playing with trackpads.

Wee question though. What is FSR and should I have it on? 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I need to set mine up tomorrow. Will let you know then. 

On another note. Been looking through all the games on protonDB that are playable/verified and picking up steam keys for pennies. 

Srreetfighter 5 runs perfect but ain't verified. Same for Blazblue (got both for less than a fiver) 

Bought New Vegas on the cheap as well. Amazing to be replaying it at high settings at 60fps. I last played it on 360 where it never ran great. 

I have always wanted to play Rome Total war and it runs perfect on this according to videos but I don't think I can handle playing with trackpads.

Got it sorted, cheers anyway.

5 hours ago, Ry said:

In layman's terms, it's AMD's version of upscaling software. It has the unique property that, while it's shit compared to Nvidia's DLSS, the first version of it can be applied to anything.

You don't really need it outside of games that are too graphically intensive for the deck and you need to eek out FPS instead of setting a cap. And honestly, any game that does need upscaling probably has the option in the settings, which in turn does a better job (as it knows where to apply it).

The general idea for the SteamOS FSR is that you bump the resolution of a game down, set the game to windowed mode (if it isn't already), and then flick FSR on.

(The updated 2.0 version of FSR is good, so pick that if you ever get a choice, but it actually requires to be built into the game and it only came out a week or so ago)

Oh god, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown on this thing via RPCS3 is brilliant. The PSN port of VF2 seems to run a treat, too.

You would have thought Sega would figure out a release of Ultimate Showdown on PC by now, crossplay be damned. Hopefully something will show up next week, but for the moment I'm satiated.

Could I create a stand-alone card with everything I need for PS3 emulation? The emulator, games and bios all in the card and nothing of it at all on the SSD? 

Got a spare 256 I could use.

I'm only used to grabbing programs through the discover store, so that would require a lot of jiggery-pokery to move it to an SD card and get it seeing everything under the protected file system SteamOS has.

Alternatively, You could either attempt to use Emudeck to install and set up for the SD card (I know Ry was having problems with that, though), or using the standalone executable (which might have a chance of not working right because it has a couple of software dependencies that aren't tied in with the download).

Pick your poison, really.

1 minute ago, Haribokart said:

Last few pages of the thread really fuck with the 'it just works' message so heavily promoted regarding this device.

My experience after approx. three days with the device:

a) Native Steam games: not too many problems, some classifications aren't true though (see Monkey Island). Steam games are BY FAR the easiest to set up. Most of the time they just work or you just need to tinker with controls.

b) Everything else (for me esp. GOG): BIG. PAIN. IN. THE. ASS. If you are like me and have accumulated a fair number of GOG games over the last years you could do the "add it as a non-steam game" experiment, sure. It's not fun though. It's cumbersome as hell (navigate to a sub-sub-sub-sub-sub folder hoping you find the correct exe file) and in some cases it doesn't work at all. 

c) emu: haven't tested yet

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK